PDA

View Full Version : Extension table question

Jerry Ingraham
04-26-2004, 2:27 PM
Hi Gang,
I have decided to accept my first commission-a seven foot walnut extension table. I have just two quick questions: 1) do the leafs generally have apron sections attached to fill the void when extended? 2) What type of bracketry is required to allow the leaves to store under the table top? OK one extra question, does the addition of aprons on the leaves eliminate the ability to store them under the tabletop?
This started off as a solid seven foot table but the customer just decided that an extension table would be more practical which I agree with. I had designed the fixed top to have full length boards with breadboard ends but now I guess the boards will have to run crossways. Any thoughts are appreciated.

sincerely,
Jerry Ingraham

ps, how can I change my name from all caps? I've looked at the profile page and can't find a place to edit it.

Carl Eyman
04-26-2004, 3:32 PM
I don't know beans about self storing leaves, but I think I've seen hardware at Woodworkers' Supply, WoodCraft, or Rockler. I think for non storing leaves if there is an apron it usually is repeated on the leaves. Thus if the owner wants to leave one or more leaves in permanently, the table maintains its profile. Here is a tip I used on the only table I've ever done with leaves. I had end sections of 33" each and three leaves at 17". I was deathly afraid I'd leave a leaf a bit too long or short, or cut it at other than a 90* angle, or in some other way screw up the nice straight line one would want along the edge. What I did was to install the leaf pins and extension slides before I'd cut the top to final width. Then with a piece of mdf cut as a pattern and with the corner curves in it, I used a pattern router bit to cut the last 1/8" off of each side. I was real pleased. Look at www.eyman.org/table for the results.

Jim Becker
04-26-2004, 4:07 PM
Some tables have aprons on the leaves; some do not. The drop-leaf mahogany "Duncan Phyfe" table in our dining room has two leaves that are flat with dowels to mate with the table when it's extended. The leaves on my mother's cherry dining table have aprons. Sometimes it's a design feature; sometimes it's to insure that the leaves stay flat and stiff when in use or in storage. If I recall accurately, the extension table that Norm built in the NYW this season had wide, thick aprons as they also functioned as the alignment methodoligy when installed as well as for strength...they were wide leaves.

Chris Padilla
04-26-2004, 5:05 PM
Jerry,

PM Jackie Outten and she will adjust your name for you.

David Brown
04-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Hi, last year I made a good sized table and have 2 12" leafs, I was also concerned about leaf storage. her is what i did" I bought the longest METAL slides Rockler sells, then I installed them as wide apart as possible. Then I closed the table, then installad a pc of 1/4" plywood to cover 3/4 of the leaf, but only as wide as the INSIDE slide extension. This was attached w/ small flat head sheet metal screws. Then I did the same w/ the OUTSIDE of the leafs. BUT I added 5 /16 wood shims, this was screwed to the OUTSIDE most leaf slide. now when the table is opened, I have overlapping 1/4" plywood pc, forming a pocket, leafs have felt dots, and sit inside the pocket, works great. the apron issue, well, if i have leafs, I have atablecloths, so no apron is seen. if ya got storage, aprons :) are nice, minimizing warping of leafs, goo luck, Dave