PDA

View Full Version : Another shooting board question

Mike Henderson
07-26-2008, 5:49 PM
I see a lot of shooting boards that are one sided (usually right).

What do you have? Just a single sided shooting board? Or a two sided shooting board? Or separate shooting boards for right and left?

Being right handed, the only thing I can see for use of the left side is molding which cannot be turned over accurately. But for most flat lumber, you could turn it over and do it on whatever side you're handed.

I've always built my shooting boards dual sided but I'm wondering if that's worth while. I could keep one of my older boards to use for left side work if I need it and build a nice one that was just right sided (since I'm right handed).

What's your opinion?

Mike

Robert Rozaieski
07-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I just built a two sided board. In theory, one should keep the datum face on the board and the datum edge against the fence. A two sided board is the only setup that allows this. In actual use, I don't know how much it matters. My old board was one sided and I never really noticed a problem.

Mike Henderson
07-26-2008, 10:57 PM
I just built a two sided board. In theory, one should keep the datum face on the board and the datum edge against the fence. A two sided board is the only setup that allows this. In actual use, I don't know how much it matters. My old board was one sided and I never really noticed a problem.
You're right, of course - and that's why I always made two sided shooting boards. But I see pictures of a lot of single sided shooting boards, almost always right hand boards.

Just wanted to get some other user's opinions. Thanks!

Mike