PDA

View Full Version : Corel 12 help please

Barbara Buhse
07-26-2008, 3:46 PM
Sometime in the last two days my corel desktop has changed.. I don't know whether I changed the settings by accident or not... and I don't know if it has to do with my problem, but now I am having a problem with rastering. Whatever the "page" size is, no matter how small the item is to raster, the entire page gets covered with tiny rastered dots, everywhere that there should be "no fill". I put in 12 x 24" page, it rasters the whole sheet of material, then I put in 8.5" x 11" in the print options (I left the 12 x 24 sheet in there) and it rastered the dots in the 8.5" x 11" area. The project I am doing is small 2" square "plates" with words only, there are no graphics involved. '
I don't know how to fix this, please help!

Barbara

Mike Null
07-26-2008, 6:12 PM
Barbara

This sounds more like a driver issue than Corel. Check your driver settings and see what mode they are on. It's poosible you've set them to something other than regular engraving.

Barbara Buhse
07-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I checked the settings, but if I changed anything it would be something that I didn't know what it was for to begin with, in which case I don't know what the settings should be normally. I'll play around with it a bit. Thanks.

Barbara

Joe Hayes
07-27-2008, 9:30 PM
Barbara - Probably a dumb thought on my part but are you sure you have no fill set for the page itself? Is it possible that you have a very light gray selected as a fill? The way to check it is click on an unused area of the page and then click left the click the X box at the top of your color bar.
Can I also suggest that you post your file so we can look at it and see if we can find any issues that have caused your problem.

Sandra Force
07-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Barbara, Is there a chance that you have the grid locked in to print. It only happened to me once. BUt that was more than enough.:rolleyes:

Barbara Buhse
07-29-2008, 3:27 PM
Joe, I checked to make sure the page had no fill at all...
Sandra, I'm not sure what you mean

Its definitely not the file itself, because I deleted it and made a brand new file and the same thing happened. I'm not sure now if its going to keep happening, I have to try engraving something else. I'm just really glad my big giant order was done BEFORE this happened.

Darren Null
07-29-2008, 3:38 PM
There's a grid in corel (available from VIEW --> GRID dialogue). It can show up as either lines -like in a maths textbook- or as a grid of evenly-spaced dots.
I didn't know you could print the grid until Sandra mentioned it, but it's easily tested...make sure that there is no tick next to VIEW --> GRID. If there is, click to get rid of the tick and try to burn something.

Carrol Fleming
07-30-2008, 3:08 AM
I had a similar problem with Photoshop, it suddenly started printing all backgrounds with a slightly yellowish tinge and engraving a dark background. No matter what I did, downloaded new drivers and colour management etc, I could not fix it - Corel and all my other programs were fine. I then developed other unrelated problems on my computer so i just reformatted my hard drive and started from scratch with a nice clean, fast computer. Took me a day but probably worth it.
Carrol

Tom Delaney
07-30-2008, 9:38 AM
If you open the 'tools' option and then open options you can access the default setting for Corel. In X3 there is a dropdown for 'Document' and then page. You can set the constant background in that area to have either a solid or bitmap section. It should (at least mine is and I have not had the courage to try any other) be set to 'none'. That might help BUT I don't know how you could have changed it accidentally. :rolleyes:

David Brasfield
07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
If you open the 'tools' option and then open options you can access the default setting for Corel. In X3 there is a dropdown for 'Document' and then page. You can set the constant background in that area to have either a solid or bitmap section. It should (at least mine is and I have not had the courage to try any other) be set to 'none'. That might help BUT I don't know how you could have changed it accidentally. :rolleyes:

I changed mine "by accident" a while back trying to fill a background so a reverse image would be visible while I worked on it. I then promptly forgot about it and lasered the image. It was a 12"x12" grave marker for one of my daughter's beloved pets. It turned out to be the single best piece of work I have done to date. I have no idea how to replicate all the settings that I had wrong in order to reproduce it (I was still in the early Corel learning curve). I finally did the reset and got things working properly again.

For what it is worth, the look of sorrow, but satisfaction that crossed my daughter's face when she saw it is something I will never forget.

Sorry for the off topic jog. She may be 28, but she is still Daddy's girl.

David

Barbara Buhse
07-30-2008, 8:29 PM
Carol,

I think your post is going to give me nightmares tonight! I am trying all th eother suggestions first... right now, since I really need to engrave something...

Barbara Buhse
07-30-2008, 8:32 PM
ok, I've tried them all... no luck. Could it possibly be the engraver itself? I have an Epilog 35 watt

Barbara Buhse
07-30-2008, 9:03 PM
Ok, ok... I'm still trying stuff. I was able to engrave the monogram that I was working on by putting it into an old .cdr file that I created before I had the problem. So, with that in mind, the problem is obviously somewhere in my defaults, since its setting up new .cdr files with this mysterious dot pattern. Its not the grids or the fill, could it be something in the bitmap menu? I'm a total dunce when it somes to corel (12) so I can experiment for weeks and then probably find out it was a simple button...

Mike Null
07-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Barbara
Try re-setting your defaults in Corel according to Roy Brewer's tutorial.

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/swf_files/CorelDefaults.html

Bill Cunningham
07-31-2008, 9:23 PM
If you have a old .cdr file that works, then load it, and save those defaults as your new defaults!