PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Accessories?

Brian W Evans
07-26-2008, 2:06 PM
I just got a used PM 14" band saw that I plan to use for cutting broad curves and for resawing. It's essentially new and in great shape, but I almost completely disassembled it yesterday to clean everything and install a riser block.

Before I finish reassembling it and put it to work, I thought I'd check to see if anyone knew of "must-have" accessories for this or similar machines.

Thanks in advance for the always great advice!

Graham Skinner
07-26-2008, 2:33 PM
Hi Brian,

Here is a link for the carter bandsaw accessories that Lee Valley has for sale.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&cat=1,41036&p=56060

The tires, and cobra-coil spring look very usefull, I will get these items when the stock ones that came with my saw wear out.
Also if you don't have a Blade Quick-Release system on your's, it may be worth getting one (it makes it very easy to change blades, and is supposed to lengthen the life of the tires and blade).
I Like the viking 1/2" blade also at Lee Valley for resawing.

Hope that you find the link helpfull

Regards...Graham Skinner...

Brian W Evans
07-26-2008, 2:44 PM
Thanks, Graham.

My saw has the Carter quick release and the guides look like Carters also.

I was especially wondering about the urethane tires and the tension spring. I've heard that 14" saws max out (despite manufacturers' specs) at a 1/2" blade because they can't properly tension a 3/4". Maybe the Carter spring would let me use a 3/4" blade.

I don't really know what benefit the urethane tires are supposed to be.

Thanks again.

Ed Sallee
07-26-2008, 2:48 PM
Probably not what you're looking for, but my favorite accessories are ebony, paduk, kingwood, cocobola, tulipwood, etc.... :o

Curt Harms
07-26-2008, 3:01 PM
Thanks, Graham.

My saw has the Carter quick release and the guides look like Carters also.

I was especially wondering about the urethane tires and the tension spring. I've heard that 14" saws max out (despite manufacturers' specs) at a 1/2" blade because they can't properly tension a 3/4". Maybe the Carter spring would let me use a 3/4" blade.

I don't really know what benefit the urethane tires are supposed to be.

Thanks again.

Hi Brian

I can't speak about the PM saws but a Rikon 10-325(14") will tension a T'wolf 3/4" blade adequately.

Curt

Peter Quadarella
07-26-2008, 3:36 PM
Keep in mind that it's not necessarily the spring that is the limiting factor in tensioning a blade. The frame of the saw can only take so much pressure before bending or warping. This is the main reason smaller saws cannot tension bigger blades. Also, the smaller the saw, the tighter the curve the blade must do to go around the wheels. With wider/thicker blades, this could cause premature wear on the blade.

Pete Bradley
07-26-2008, 3:58 PM
Ed's really got it right. Put your money into wood. That's a fine machine, and I wouldn't accessorize it at this point. Get some experience with it for a while and then you'll know if there are any accessories that you need.

Pete