PDA

View Full Version : Online Camera Store Recommendations....

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Well....I bought my wife a Nikon D40x last summer. She loves it! Now for our upcoming trip to NZ she's decided she also wants a smaller camera with a water proof cover in case it's rainy and she doesn't want to take a chance on damaging her Nikon. I'd complain but she's paying for the shop and let me outfit it with tools this past fall.

Any online sites where you can buy cameras with whom you've done business and would recommend?

Thanks!

Scott Shepherd
07-26-2008, 1:34 PM
Online camera stores- www.adorama.com and www.bhphotovideo.com. Both out of NY and both have great reputations with photographers.

If I recall correctly, someone (or several) have some full blown waterproof point and shoot cameras that are excellent. Not sure if Nikon was one of them, but I do recall seeing a higher quality, brand name camera manufacturer who's point and shoot was waterproof, so no need for special covers.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2008, 1:45 PM
Scott...I think it's Olympus that has the SW series that's waterproof, shockproof and crush proof to military standards. I was researching them last night.

Thanks for the links!

Bruce Page
07-26-2008, 3:41 PM
Ken, I bought my Nikon on line from Cameta. They were reccomended to me by the fotog at work. It was a smooth sale without problem. They also had the best deal that I could find.

http://secure.cameta.com/index.cfm

Al Willits
07-26-2008, 6:42 PM
I've done business with bhphoto maybe 5-6 times and their prices are good, customer service was good and their products worked fine.

Al
edit...buddy just got a Olympus 850sw and he says it works well fwiw

Scott Shepherd
07-26-2008, 8:03 PM
Scott...I think it's Olympus that has the SW series that's waterproof, shockproof and crush proof to military standards. I was researching them last night.

Thanks for the links!

Yes, THAT'S the one! Olympus!

Mitchell Andrus
07-26-2008, 8:23 PM
I second B&H. I've been there (to get my son's D40 and my own studio lights) and they are second to none.

Tony Joyce
07-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I had a good experience with Abe's of Maine. Best price on the web for the camera I bought last year. Customer service followed up my web order with a phone call.

Tony

Danny Thompson
07-26-2008, 11:08 PM
B&H Photo is reputable. Got my photo processing equipment from them.

Steve Leverich
07-27-2008, 1:20 AM
Abe's of Maine must have cleaned up their act since the first and ONLY time I did business with them several years ago - ordered 2 lenses for a Nikon, they pulled a bait and switch for lesser lenses (a LOT less) - after a couple calls and no satisfaction (including out and out LIES) I swore never to do biz with them again.

Glad you had a better experience, but I won't make that mistake again... Steve

Jim Becker
07-27-2008, 5:15 AM
I've heard good things about B&H, but haven't done business with them. I have, however, bought from Ritz Camera online a number of times and have been pleased. Not always the lowest price, but decent prices.

Doug Shepard
07-27-2008, 7:31 AM
I ordered my last cam from Beach Camera after finding the lowest online price there. No issues and got the normal shipping notification with tracking info.

John Shuk
07-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Adorama is pretty good. They also own a dive shop which is in the same building. I'd say the best deal could be had with them if you figure out what you want and give them a call. I've seen where their pricing is better on the phone. I bought a bunch of underwater photography gear from them and saved substantial money.

Bob Moyer
07-28-2008, 7:50 AM
Well....I bought my wife a Nikon D40x last summer. She loves it! Now for our upcoming trip to NZ she's decided she also wants a smaller camera with a water proof cover in case it's rainy and she doesn't want to take a chance on damaging her Nikon. I'd complain but she's paying for the shop and let me outfit it with tools this past fall.

Any online sites where you can buy cameras with whom you've done business and would recommend?

Thanks!

Here are the only two I trust
http://www.danscamera.com/ and Adorama. As a former professional photographer, Dan's is great, Adorama, B&H etc, tend to want to sell you packages and extras. Also, tell them that the item "must" be in stock and have a US warranty.

Brian Effinger
07-28-2008, 9:24 AM
I also trust B&H. They are a huge audio & video company in NYC. I've ordered from them before and never had a problem. I've also ordered from BuyDig.com once and did not have a problem, and it was a major piece of equipment - my Canon 10d.

On a side note, check out http://www.steves-digicams.com/
They do reviews of cameras and are a wealth of good information.

Bob Moyer
07-28-2008, 9:54 AM

Thanks!

Ken,

Did you check here???? http://www.idahocamera.com/

Kevin Arceneaux
07-28-2008, 10:44 AM
I found this site for reviews and how to's
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

Greg Narozniak
07-28-2008, 2:39 PM
I had a good experience with Abe's of Maine. Best price on the web for the camera I bought last year. Customer service followed up my web order with a phone call.

Tony

Ditto, I got my Digital Video camera there 2 years ago they it was a flawless transaction.

Tom Godley
07-28-2008, 2:50 PM
If NZ is New Zealand -- Make sure it is Sheep Proof.

Great place -- lots of sheep (Romney)

Rich Konopka
07-28-2008, 8:14 PM
Ken,

BH is the place to go for all your photo, video, and electronics needs. I have bought several camera's from them and my LCD TV. Their customer service is comparble to Lee Valley and their prices are some of the best. Their Brick and Mortars store is 1 block west of Penn Station in NYC.