PDA

View Full Version : Laser tube price

Jeff DeVore
07-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi,
Does anybody know the price of a laser tube for an Epilog 75W Legend EX? Will be calling them on Monday for a quote but would like to know a figure if possible before I call. Thanks, Jeff.

Joe Pelonio
07-26-2008, 3:08 PM
The last one I bought for my 45 watt was $2,300 but it's dropped to $1,100 per Peck recently. You can bet yours will be significantly more. Maybe it will turn out to be something less painful when you have tech support's help?

Jeff DeVore
07-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info Joe. They quoted me $2,900.00. I am trying a new lens first. If the lens doesnt' work I might try to call them and see if it would be cheaper another way. For instance sending them the tube and having them check it before I spend that much money. Just seems a little high considering how I have heard on this site how much the tube prices have dropped. Jeff.

Jeff DeVore
07-29-2008, 2:09 PM
Noticing James Stokes post about other companies besides Epilog that repair Epilog power supplies has anybody tried another company besides Epilog to refurbish their laser tubes? Such as http://photovaclaser.com/index.html. And if so what was your experience with an outside company doing these repairs? Good? Bad? Price difference? Seems like Epilog is getting quite a markup to be the middleman. Thanks again, Jeff.

Joe Pelonio
07-29-2008, 2:43 PM
Rather than sending the tube to Epilog you can rent a test unit from Laserbits
that will tell you how many watts it's putting out, I think it's $95 which may be less than shipping both ways on the tube if it's still good.

I thought I was told at one time that Epilog has the tubes made with proprietary parts that are made just for them, which could make them difficult or impossible to repair by a third party. Epilog normally stocks them for exchange, but don't do repairs on tubes themselves.

I'd be surprised if you can find an alternative to buying a new one, but I hope you find the less expensive lens to solve the problem.

Darren Null
07-29-2008, 3:13 PM
Is that just epilog lasers that are that cheap, or is this a general laser pricing thing (he asks hopefully)

Joe Pelonio
07-29-2008, 4:47 PM
Is that just epilog lasers that are that cheap, or is this a general laser pricing thing (he asks hopefully)

As we all know, companies have to make a profit to stay in business. With a limited, competitive market for lasers, profits may be higher on parts that need replacement on a regular basis. I think the price reduction on my tube model was not due to cheaper materials and transportation, but rather the result of other companies selling their tubes for less. Replacement tube price has become a selling point for new potential buyers. Unfortunately for you, with 75 watts that's still going to be much more than 45. I'd be curious to see if that price of $2,900 is less than it would have been a year ago.

Darren Null
07-29-2008, 5:43 PM
Well, if Synrad is going through a similar 'competitive period', that'll work well for me. With a mere 10W laser that explodes periodically, almost anything would be a significant improvement.

EDIT: I apologise to all 'Merkins unreservedly for the bad karma I'm aiming at the dollar exchange rate too. Man.