PDA

View Full Version : Branches & logs in cabinet-making

Roy Brophy
07-26-2008, 3:50 AM
Howdy I'm new here. I'm a retired carpenter & cabinet maker. Now I'm just doing it for me!

I want to try and integrate natural wood, branches & log w/o bark into some of my work. I can handle the joinery but don't know how to remove the bark with out changing the surface of the wood under neath. I want to get the look of naturally debarked wood. I'm Thinking about soaking in water or maby water and mild Oxalic acid. Or maby steaming in a bending steamer.
any Ideas out there?

Frank Drew
07-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I guess it's species by species, but for many woods the bark lets go all by itself once the wood shrinks a bit from drying. I've never worked natural form so can't help with specific suggestions.

Of concern would be critters under the bark, though; that, and cracking through the pith.

Reed Wells
07-26-2008, 5:26 PM
Roy, I don't know if this will be of any help to you this year, but from spring to early summer is the best time to cut and peel logs and branches. Generally you are able to start a small piece of bark with a knife or shave and then just pull it off in strips. But, you knew this was coming, at that time of the year it will take longer to dry your material because "the sap she is arising."