PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Color Change???

Jim VanBramer
04-26-2004, 1:11 PM
Here's a newbie question if ever there was one (but hey, that's where I'm at :rolleyes: ). Does anyone know if walnut darkens with age (like cherry). Also, does the lighter wood get any darker as well? Thanks.

Scott Post
04-26-2004, 1:21 PM
Walnut lightens with age (actually, with light exposure). And, no, the sapwood doesn't darken. It stays the same white. If I remember I'll take some pictures tonight of an entertainment center I built 3 or 4 years ago. One side faces a window and there's a difference between the two sides of the piece. The side facing into the room is about the same color as when it was built. The side facing the window has lightened some.

Lee Schierer
04-26-2004, 4:49 PM
Scott is correct, walnut actually lightens when exposed to light. I have a name plate here on my desk that is made from black walnut that is about a golden oak color right now. It originally was very dark walnut. The underside is still quite dark.

Sap wood does not darken with age, however, you can buy sap wood stains for walnut that will tint the sapwood darker and it will stay darker with time.