PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for mounting a jersey?

Pat Kearney
07-25-2008, 11:23 PM
A friend of mine asked me tonight to make some type of mounting plaque or stand for a hockey jersey. The jersey is for a friend of his who was recently injured in an accident and is now paralyzed. His hockey team is going to retire his # from the team and present the jersey to him. I have a small woodworking shop that I can pretty much make any design. Has anyone done something similar or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Pat

Dave Bender
07-26-2008, 12:33 AM
There are a number of ways.

1) buy or make an acrylic hanger for the jersey (neck and shoulder areas) and use it for the main mounting. Fabric pins can be used to tack down the rest of the jersey (folded arms and such). The backing can be hardboard with a batting over it covered by a piece of fabric.

2) There are some nice aluminum hanger/display systems - looks good and can be part of a larger display.

3) Use a frame backing of sheet metal covered with some foam and fabric. Use magnets to mount the jersey. No punctures at all and with good magnets this works pretty well.

4) Similar to 1 but you can use fabric pins and various batting material. The pins do the attachment, the batting is used to strengthen the mounting and get things to lay right.

Framing then procedes as normal

Mike Null
07-26-2008, 8:52 AM
I would make a shadow box type case for it with a glass cover. Line the back of it with felt or velvet of an appropriate color.