PDA

View Full Version : Irwin Quick Clamps kinda wimpy

Burt Alcantara
07-25-2008, 6:17 PM
I have a number of Quick Clamps that work as expected. The 12" pair will not grip tightly. They tighten down initially but I can't get them tight tight. The grips keep pumping. Is this something I can fix?

Thanks,
Burt

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-25-2008, 6:29 PM
don't by Irwin?

They used to be a good name. I'm sure the name was purchased by some house trying to trade on the name.
Every single tool with that name on it made in the last decade (maybe longer) is garbage. Every one.

Peter Quadarella
07-25-2008, 7:18 PM
The regular quick clamps are basically just an extra pair of hands, not much clamping power behind them. The XP ones, though, are quite powerful. You can really crank them down. The downside is that they tend to pull pieces out of alignment on me, so I will often clamp something with pipe or parallel clamps first and then put on the XP Irwin clamps.

Ron Dunn
07-25-2008, 7:48 PM
The XPs are great. One benefit is that they don't "explode" when you release a tightly clamped piece.

Larry James
07-25-2008, 9:37 PM
I have a number of Quick Clamps that work as expected. The 12" pair will not grip tightly. They tighten down initially but I can't get them tight tight. The grips keep pumping. Is this something I can fix?

Thanks,
Burt

Same problem with Irwin Quick Clamps about a year ago. I returned them for a refund.

The latest issue of Woodsmith (#178) has an article about "one hand clamps." However, they only describe features - no ratings or recommendations. The Stanley FatMax Xtreme, with the spring loaded return looks interesting.

Larry

glenn bradley
07-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah, they're wimpy. They do work well as designed. I have a few of the little 6" ones and some 12" that come in handy as an extra hand. I never thought of them as a clamp that would be used for glue-ups or anything critical. I do hate that jump when they are released.

Norman Pyles
07-25-2008, 11:53 PM
I have some of the Wolfcraft quick clamps, and only use them for very light duty. Which is what I feel they are designed for.

Johnny Kleso
07-26-2008, 12:58 AM
I have several HF QC's and work ok but nothing like a F-Clamp or my Bessy K-Bodies

I think for what they are they work fine and never had a 18" glue up where I needed a K-Body execpt my maybe my bench top..

I think they make them not to tighten at some point..
They are 50% plastic and no main screw..

Robert Dunaway
07-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I have some Irwin Quick clamps. I don't bother using them for situations that require actual "clamping." I use them for that "second pair of hands" type situations where I need something held down until I get a real set of clamps.

Woodsmith or Shop Notes had a clamp discussion a few months (?) ago, and said that these style of clamps were pretty much worthless for 1- clamping power and 2- they moved the workpiece.

John Thompson
07-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I have about 30 total and they work great for what they are made for. A second hand as mentioned and I have them in lenghts up to 36". Great for clamping stops on fences.. panels down on a work-bench.. extra support here and there.. etc.

But.. in a glue-up I am going to a cabinet clamp or in cases over 48" a bar clamp. I have occassionally used a long quick-grip in a glue up as an additional but you have to be careful of cant because of the way the tips are designed with the rubber covers.

Would I sell mine. Nope.. Would I reccommend for glue-ups. Nope. Life is simple at my shop. :)

Sarge..

Peter Quinn
07-26-2008, 12:33 PM
I have one long pair I've had for years that work great, maybe 48"? These are not heavy duty clamps. I use them more as spreaders these days than as clamps. If you want to crush stones or bend iron get some wetzlers or some jorgie I-beams. I have never had a problem with the irwins slipping when pulling the lever, but they don't provide much actual clamping pressure. If the ratchet mechanism just slips you may have a defect worth returning.

Nissim Avrahami
07-26-2008, 5:07 PM
Here is the story of the cheap grip clamps repair
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36868

niki

Jay Yoder
07-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I use the 6" ones like everyone else does...an extra set of hands, but they are incapable of drawing anything tight enough for a glue up. On the other hand the XP are indispensable! You can really "crank down" on them.