PDA

View Full Version : All thanks to Pete Jordan, Oak Burl

Christopher K. Hartley
07-25-2008, 6:05 PM
Sometime back Pete Jordan was kind enough to share with me some oak burls that he had collected. Here is the first one finished and right away the LOML decided it was a payment to her for allowing me my Robust. ( I can't complain now, can I?") It is 9 1/2" long and about 5" high, sanded to 600 and buffed then spray polly. I left it about an inch thick to feature the bark with it. The whitish color in the dark areas doesn't show in real time so I don't know what that is. Thanks again Pete.:)

Steve Schlumpf
07-25-2008, 6:11 PM
Chris - your wife obviously has very good taste when it comes to burls! Beautiful piece! Love the colors and all the bark! Glad you finally had some time on the lathe! Hope to see lots more of your turnings real soon!

Phillip Bogle
07-25-2008, 6:25 PM
Beautiful piece. Nice eye for the wood and artistic possibilities.
As a small suggestion: Shoot your photos on a white, neutral gray, or black background. While the color is a nice match to your turning, the background confuses the eye and your hard work doesn't get full exposure. I have a photo studio and I have used a plain white or ivory sheet that has been pressed. This is a cheap solution and many pros do the same thing.
You definitely have an inspirational project. Good work.

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2008, 6:29 PM
Chris that is a beauty for sure. The wood really is awesome. Well done.

Pete Jordan
07-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Chris,

I was a little worried the Robust wouldn't be able to handle that wood:D

The piece turned out great and I am glad your wife liked it so much.

Jim Becker
07-27-2008, 5:37 AM
Very nice!

Ya know...when I first looked at those photos when accessing the thread, I thought you turned some oysters! LOL

Dewey Torres
07-27-2008, 5:41 AM
Man... oysters or not, very impressive!