PDA

View Full Version : Arm-r Seal topcoat

tom tangie
07-25-2008, 4:53 PM
Is this product by General Finishes the one used by David Marks? Is it tung oil mixed with urethane?

Their online pdf for this product is for a their stain, not the clear coat. Do rough between coats with 0000 steel wool? I think the can says 3 coats recommended. Any thoughts on this?

Steve Schoene
07-25-2008, 9:14 PM
No it isn't tung oil mixed with urethane. It is a varnish, not a mixture, consequently it has no oil qua oil. For that matter the very general and vague information on the companies web pages is frustrating. They don't really tell you what kind of oil or what kind of resins are used. (It's likely to be alkyd resin modified with some polyurethane resin.)

The company even hides the kind of resins used, by labeling them "proprietary" on the MSDS. By the way, the secrets being kept are of interest only too the educated consumer. Other manufacturers can certainly figure out what's in the stuff easily enough. I don't quite know why manufacturers provide inaccurate data sheets like the one on Seal a Cell, which has mixed varnish and stain data as you have seen, for a long period of time. Obviously they don't care very much about informing the potential users. Personally I'd choose a different company for varnish, and find one without more or less useless urethane.

Howie may have more info on the ingredients. I hope he stops by.

Three coats of a wipe on varnish will give you a finish film about equivalent to one coat of brushed on "full strength" varnish. For light use items that may be enough but wouldn't be if you wanted a durable varnish coating. For that think about 7-9 coats.

tom tangie
07-26-2008, 2:26 AM
It does wipe on nicely and has a nice even finish. Ill try spraying laquer on the next chair as I dont have to wait so long between coats.

Howard Acheson
07-26-2008, 1:12 PM
As far as I know Steve, Arm R Seal is just a pretty standard alkyd/urethane resin and linseed oil. It is thinned more highly than most varnishes to make it into a wiping varnish.

But these things change all the time now as finish manufacturers attempt to meet VOC reguations and get onto the "green" bandwagon.

Steve Schoene
07-26-2008, 4:28 PM
Thanks, I kind of thought that was it. About VOC regulations, I really wonder about all the reformulations. As I understand it, oil based varnish is practically entirely used by DIY and shops so small they don't have real spray facilities. I can't help but think that very little varnish, except perhaps floor finishes, is sold in quantities larger than quarts or liters. But except in California, or parts of California, finish sold in cans of 1 liter or less are exempt from the tighter VOC restrictions in the northeast and middle atlantic states. (OTC states.)

Jim Becker
07-27-2008, 5:25 AM
Steve, the fellow who did the floors in our addition and great room now has to buy his finish in quarts to get the "original formula" due to the VOC restrictions. The gallons don't work well for him due to changes in the product. And I will say...nasty stuff. Good ventilation is not optional! I actually had to move our birds to my shop and go work at Starbucks one day it was so bad on my head...