PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Wright Woodall
07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Well, I have been lurking for couple of months and finally decided to get a little more involved here. I have been very impressed by the wealth of information and the respectful way that most people communicate here.

A little about me--

I am 28 years old, married, with our first child due Sept 8 (it's a boy). We live in Opelika, AL (right next to Auburn and AU..War Eagle!)

I have been slowly getting into woodworking for several years through various construction and remodeling projects. Custom matching old trim and rehabbing old windows/doors/floors led me to building furniture and cabinets. Also, my uncle is a 2nd gen cabinetmaker, so I learned a lot from him on one kitchen project, and have been inspired by his work for years.

Also, I am kinda cheap, so when faced with the need/desire to buy new furniture which is often cheaply made or just plain ugly, or build it myself, I would much rather spend the money on tools that will last through many projects, and build the pieces to my custom specs (or more likely the LOML's specs).

On that note, she isn't a huge fan of stained furniture, so I am working on mostly paint grade stuff right now, but that just lets me hone my skills where spackle and caulk can still hide the screwups until she changes her mind.

I know how much you guys like pictures, so I'll get some coming.

More on my shop and tools later...

Wright

Ken Fitzgerald
07-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Welcome to the Creek Wright!

gary Zimmel
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Wright

Welcome to the Creek!

Lee Schierer
07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Also, I am kinda cheap, so when faced with the need/desire to buy new furniture which is often cheaply made or just plain ugly, or build it myself, I would much rather spend the money on tools that will last through many projects, and build the pieces to my custom specs (or more likely the LOML's specs).
Many of us started in exactly the same place. Welcome to the Creek, we look forward to seeing your projects and helping in any way we can.

Greg Cole
07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Wright,
I too got my feet wet with buying my first home and taking on "project stuff". I now have no room in a 2 car garage for anything remotely related to automobiles. What started out as buying a cordless drill & circular saw to build one section of lattice-privacy screen for a deck.......... cause I said I can build one instead of buying one at the borg.
It's nice to see my age group (33 here, well for another 2 days) get involved with WW'ing. Too many of "us" are disinterested with this line of work in general.....
My advice is to take your time buying tools for your shop. This hobby is one for the very patient people in this world in general. Most of us are in this for the loooong haul, so there's no need to rush. Decide what you want from the hobby (and that will evolve with skills & tools and experience) and go from there.
Cheers and welcome.

Greg

Richard M. Wolfe
07-25-2008, 1:00 PM
Welcome, Wright. You're going to hae to work on ways of saying that paint is just covering things up you ought to see.

Rob Russell
07-25-2008, 1:52 PM
Hi Wright - glad you went from lurker to out-in-the-open status!

Johnny Kleso
07-25-2008, 2:50 PM
Welcome,

Roll Tide! :)

Dick Bringhurst
07-25-2008, 2:57 PM
Welcome from the left coast. You're starting exactly the same way I did. New tool per project. Dick B.

John Thompson
07-25-2008, 3:52 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Wright. You're just down the road from me in the Atlanta area but... I have a feeling you might already know that as I have inside information. These forums can be very helpful with instant information as it was not available when I got started long ago.

And something tells me you might have a new.. used Table-saw gloat in the immediate future. ;) And BTW.. when you drop by my shop to pick up the Uni-saw.... park in the cul-de-sac and I will bring it up. My "how bout dem DAWGS" don't allow any War Eagles past the drive-way. :D

Just kidding.. give me a call sometime next week to make further arrangements on picking up the saw..

Regards...

Sarge..

Greg Cole
07-25-2008, 4:35 PM
Wright,
Congrats on the Unisaw purchase! Great saw, nice accessories with it too & best of all, a good price.
I bought a Lee Valley #5 from Sarge and promised to give it years of use. I trust you will give the same promise to him about his Uni.

Sarge,
What are you putting in place of the venerable Uni?

Cheers.
Greg

John Thompson
07-25-2008, 5:21 PM
The Steel City 35626 10".. 5 HP Industrial that will be on the show-room floor in the Steel City booth at the International Wood-working Show next month in Atlanta, Greg. I rip quite a bit of of 3" rough stock Greg.. and have had my eyes out for a 5 HP for several years if I could get used or scratch and dent. But that is hard to do with a 5 HP as not too many are sold because 3 HP is more than sufficient with 99% of the population.

The sun and moon just happened to align and I got a call asking if I would be interested so they wouldn't have to haul it back to Murfreesboro, Tn. The answer was yes if I could sell my saw. Wright took care of that the first day I put in on the market. And a good thing as he committed as I got a commitment of a local about 30 minutes after his off Craigs-list.

Sometimes the stars align.. sometimes they don't. You just play the cards you got dealt the best they can be played. :)

Regards sir...

Sarge..

Greg Cole
07-25-2008, 5:46 PM
Woof. 5HP outta get the job done quite well.
In regards to stellar alignment... I'm still awaiting that day. Seems as I posted somewhere here today about me not needing test to test Lady Luck... my fortuitous nature seems to run on her bad side or the Murphy Law side.:rolleyes:
I haven't had my hands on "your" #5 lately (funny I think of it as "Sarge's #5" every time I use it ;)) as I've been slaving away on a privacy fence and building a deck around 1/2 my pool). Now, the deck is done and I'll most likely sit my buns on it a few afernoon-evenings.... and when the summer fades I'll be back with a vengence. I have 2 beds in the shop that haven't seen my hands nor face in too long already. And a stack of nice air dried walnut begging for some attention!

Sorry for the hijack Wright! You've managed to buy a saw from someone who's been at this for a long time. Sarge is a resource and a person you can learn alot from... take advantage (I wont speak for Sarge, but I'll wager he'll NOT allow you to paint anything he helps with!)

Cheers.

Greg

Wright Woodall
07-25-2008, 7:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I do plan to enjoy the new-to-me Uni, I did kinda figure if it worked for Sarge, it oughta work for me. :D I'm not having any luck finding pics of my past projects on my computer, even though I know I had them at some point, so I'll pull out the camera tomorrow. Off to eat some sushi now!

Later

Peter Quinn
07-25-2008, 8:01 PM
Welcome Wright. Glad to make your acquaintance. Congrats on the saw. I'm a gold colored tool man my self, try not to hold that against me though.

A picture does tell a thousand words. My wife says I should take better pictures and talk less!:D Look forward to your pics.

Wright Woodall
07-27-2008, 11:46 PM
pics of the shop in Workshops, here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88993

Wright Woodall
08-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Well, I have been lurking for couple of months and finally decided to get a little more involved here. I have been very impressed by the wealth of information and the respectful way that most people communicate here.

A little about me--

I am 28 years old, married, with our first child due Sept 8 (it's a boy). We live in Opelika, AL (right next to Auburn and AU..War Eagle!)

I have been slowly getting into woodworking for several years through various construction and remodeling projects. Custom matching old trim and rehabbing old windows/doors/floors led me to building furniture and cabinets. Also, my uncle is a 2nd gen cabinetmaker, so I learned a lot from him on one kitchen project, and have been inspired by his work for years.

On that note, she isn't a huge fan of stained furniture, so I am working on mostly paint grade stuff right now, but that just lets me hone my skills where spackle and caulk can still hide the screwups until she changes her mind.

I know how much you guys like pictures, so I'll get some coming.

More on my shop and tools later...

Wright

I know it's been a few weeks, but I have been meaning to edit this original post for a while. I would be remiss if I failed to mention my other mentor in woodworking and building, Doug Walter. He has been working on my parents house and office for 20+ years and has been a mentor, friend, Scoutmaster, etc to me. His shop burned down several months ago, taking most of his tools with it, but he is slowly gathering them again. He had some nice tools and nice wood in that old shop, too. One day while several of us were over helping him rebuild a bigger/better shop he remarked how strange it was that Wright Woodall now had more tools than he did. I was kinda proud of that, but glad to be able to give back a little at the same time.

Enough late night ramblings....

Later...

Wright