PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Chestnut?

Phillip Bogle
07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
I am new to turning. A friend offered me a downed (3 months) Chestnut tree. Any advice? Is this a typical turning wood? Will it cure nicely or is it a tricky wood to work with?

Any advice is appreciated.

Bob Hallowell
07-25-2008, 10:58 AM
With the Blight that kill the majority of the chestnuts I doubt many here have had the opertunity to turn it. That being said jump on it it might be your only chance. It's a hardwood so it should turn nicely.

Bob

Phillip Bogle
07-25-2008, 2:00 PM
I was unaware of a blight. I live about a mile from the ocean on the north Oregon coast. Our friends have been fighting the saplings that start all the time. Seems the nuts drop every year and we have to battle with the starts scattered everywhere. Is the tree making a comeback somewhere? Do they need saplings?

BTW: It is an old Chestnut and we got the entire thing so along with the apple, cherry, pacific yew and myrtle I guess I will be very busy before too long. We had hurricane force winds at 130mph that took out some very nice trees. So many projects and so little time.:D

Scott Kilroy
07-25-2008, 3:25 PM
check out http://lamar.colostate.edu/~samcox/chestnut.htm

and
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/griffin/accfhab.html

the part of the country you're in isn't the native area for Chestnuts and hasn't been affected by the blight.

charlie knighton
07-25-2008, 3:43 PM
give these people a line on what you have:

http://www.acf.org/

i am sure that they would be interested, the chestnut tree was almost wiped out on the east coast

Gary Max
07-25-2008, 3:58 PM
There is more than one kind of Chestnut tree. The one that was killed off by the blight is a American Chestnut.

Ron Ainge
07-25-2008, 4:29 PM
I love all wood and especially the wood you get for free, it is the best kind. I am on the board of our local club and I have not found any kind of wood that someone will not take and turn. I admit that because I have been turning for several years and have learned that there is some woods that I react to, I do not turn these wood. I do however give them to other turners when I find them. If you have more than you need talk to the nearest club and see how much they want.

Phillip Bogle
07-25-2008, 5:06 PM
We have American Chestnut. There are 5 trees still standing. I am sure these were brought out here many years ago since we are Cedar, and Douglas Fir territory. My entire house is built from old growth Doug Fir, Cedar, and some Spruce. My neighbor wrote books against harvesting the old growth, but his house has 30' 4"X14" clear Cedar beams. Hardwood is nearly impossible to find. We do have Pacific Yew, and Myrtle. In the southern end of the state there is some scrub oak and a few pockets of maple can be found. If I want to build a nice project I have to ship it in, so you can understand my desire to grab anything free, and workable.

I will rough turn a few pieces to see what the wood looks like. If it is nice, I will post some photos.

Thanks again, this is a great site.