PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Pittsburgh Woodcraft?

Charles McKinley
07-25-2008, 2:34 AM
Hi All,

I have been out of the loop for a long time. I recieved an email from Woodcraft that the Pittsburgh store had closed. Does anyone know why? I moved about 2 hours away so I hadn't been in for a long time.

TIA

Bob Hallowell
07-25-2008, 9:20 AM
I live 2hrs away too but I stopped there often, I received a letter a few days ago telling me and offering free shipping for a few months.

Bob

Ron Conlon
07-25-2008, 10:31 AM
I heard it was because all their customers moved 2 hours away. haha

Don Abele
07-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I heard it was because all their customers moved 2 hours away. haha

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question - but that's funny :p

Be well,

Doc

Lee Schierer
07-25-2008, 12:31 PM
That's exactly what I was going to say. All their customers moved or quit buying stuff.

Chris Kennedy
07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
That's exactly what I was going to say. All their customers moved or quit buying stuff.

I admit -- I'm guilty of this. I used to go there when I lived two hours away as well (Edinboro, PA). Now I live more like twelve.

Seriously, is there anyone here from Pittsburgh who went there? Or was it just all of us people commuting a couple of hours?

Cheers,

Chris

Charles McKinley
07-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Ron: That is funny

Don and Lee: Glad to see some familiar faces as I haven't posted in a long time.

I guess I better patronize the Rockler in Ross Park as it is the only store left.

Does anyone know of any other WW stores in Western PA/ Eastern OH?

Greg Carr
07-26-2008, 11:39 AM
I hope we don't start seeing a lot more of these closing around the country. I know a lot of my tool/project money is going in the gas tank and towards other necessary things that have been going up in price. Not that tools and projects aren't necessary.;)

I have noticed a number of small business locally that are struggling and some that have closed. A friend in the restaurant business says his business is way down and knows others in the business that are struggling to make it. This seems to be hitting gas stations quite hard. Quite a few locally have closed, those with convenience stores seem to be fairing better.

Greg

Dave Lehnert
07-26-2008, 1:10 PM
I have found myself buying things from Woodcraft mail order. I have a store about 1/2 hour away but with gas prices why drive across town. First off most anything I need or want they don't stock or out. If I place my order before 2pm I have it the next day by 10am.

Steve Mellott
07-26-2008, 8:13 PM
I've talked to several Woodcraft store franchisees who tell me their biggest competitor is the Woodcraft internet site.

Bill Arnold
07-26-2008, 11:13 PM
The biggest problem I've seen over the years is that Woodcraft generally had the highest price on any given product. To be fair, I found a few items at a store when I had been unable to find them elsewhere, but I would only go to that store when visiting a friend because of the distance.

I have to admit to being very anal about comparing prices among vendors prior to making purchases. My loyalty goes to my wallet, not a vendor. I've purchased from all of the usual woodworking vendors online, but only if a given vendor has the best price including shipping.

julie Graf
07-27-2008, 2:45 PM
i, too, moved 2 hours away! hahahah!

i am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my partner and i had several problems shopping there - poor service, bad attitude, and a horrible horrible experience waiting 3 months - with no contact unless we called and hassled them - for a large tool only to call corporate and have it delivered the next day because they had multiple in stock.

we had bad interactions with some people there and then just stopped going even if we where in the area.

the e-mail from corporate didn't sound like they were too happy about the situation. describing it as sudden...

we've had good service from the web/catalog/800 number, with shipping often same or next day. which is really nice when you need some thing asap.

cheers,
julie

Jim Becker
07-27-2008, 8:28 PM
Given that almost all the Woodcraft stores are now franchises, either they failed as a business or had their chit revoked. Either one could very well apply these days.

But I suspect that even the best of these stores is going to be a tough business if the economy stays as it is or gets worse. Woodcraft and similar caters primarily to the hobbyist from a volume standpoint and as folks pull back on non-essential spending, paying the store rent is going to get difficult. So if you have one near you and like them, be sure that what you do spend on your avocation helps them out. The business owners need to know that their customers appreciate them. It could mean the difference between cutting the cord early or taking a chance...

Jeff Booth
07-27-2008, 8:53 PM
I live outside Boston and patronize the store in Woburn. Yes, sometimes I could get something for a little less money on the internet, but I am interested in seeing a local store stay around. I like to be able to touch and feel the tools prior to purchase, it would be folly to look at the tool locally and then try to order it for $5 less on the internet, wastes my time and if everyone did that then the local store would close next week.

But if as some people mentioned that the service was poor or the attitude was bad, then that would be a different story. Sorry to hear that about the former Pittsburg store. The store we have here is great, the people are very nice and not the least bit pushy about purchasing things.

And I am no fan whatsoever of Rockler, too many unneccessary Rockler jigs and very few actual tools for sale there. Woodcraft carries a lot of quality brands, I can choose between Clifton, LN and LV planes for example (as well as several Japanese planes).

My $0.02

Charles McKinley
07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks All,

It is a shame to hear that the service dropped off. I always had great service there. I believe that their prices were competitive given the rent on the store was high.

The manager would work with me if I needed something.

I like to be able to hold something before I buy it and am willing to pay a premium for it.

Unfortunately I have been selling more tools than buying the last year or so.

Still interested in the details if anyone comes accross any.

Wilbur Pan
07-29-2008, 6:32 AM
Woodcraft carries a lot of quality brands, I can choose between Clifton, LN and LV planes for example (as well as several Japanese planes).

Your local Woodcraft really carries Clifton, LV, and Japanese planes? That's impressive.

Brad Knabel
07-30-2008, 12:13 AM
The service I'd gotten from this Woodcraft was not exceptionally bad, but generally apathetic. I preferred the local Rockler store which is newer and still seems to have a fair bit of enthusiasm. I will miss Woodcraft, though.

I got an odd letter from the local store about 18 months ago (give or take). It basically said that the local franchise was for sale and they wanted to see if any of the local customers were interested in purchasing. I don't remember a lot of details.

I got a different letter from Woodcraft corporate about two months ago saying that the corporate office saw an opportunity on the east end of Pittsburgh. They were inviting people to contact them regarding opening a new franchise.

My uninformed guess is that the new Rockler store probably ate into Woodcraft's business enough that they just had a hard time making a go of it. Rockler is more centrally located than Woodcraft was. They were also very aggressive in terms of marketing. It seemed like every time the local Woodcraft had a sale or promotion that I would receive an e-mail from Rockler with a competing offer. Rockler has also been doing a lot of 15, 20 or 25% off coupons. It might also be that the local Woodcraft just found it hard to deal with Woodcraft's internet site or that they found Woodcraft fishing for another local franchise too much to take.

There was another woodworking store in town (Woodcrafters Supply) that I liked a lot, but they closed about a year ago.

Jeff Booth
07-30-2008, 7:29 AM
Wilbur, the Woburn MA woodcraft carries all that, and some Starrett layout tools, and every model of Pfeil carving gouge and Hock blades and other high end LV items and a nice selection of vices and maybe 10 brands of high quality finishes and 10 brands of glues (including extra thin slow set epoxies) and high quality hardware and .....

They have power tools and machines there too, and I have my share of those, but as time goes on I am more interested in the hand tools.

Like I said it is a good store. I guess I am starting to think I am extra lucky. I had read that this is the 'original' Woodcraft store, but the story if I recall is that Woodcraft actually started in Boston and then later moved to Woburn and then maybe started to franchise. I am sure someone else more motivated than I am can go look it up and set all the things I got wrong straight. But anyhow, perhaps because of this history this store is better than some of the others ....

Like I said, now I feel lucky!

Jeff

Wilbur Pan
07-30-2008, 7:58 AM
The main reason that I was impressed is that those planes are not carried in the Woodcraft catalog.

My nearest Woodcraft is in Allentown, just under an hour's drive, and they are very nice, but their stock is pretty much just what's in the Woodcraft catalog.

I'm jealous. ;)

Mark Smith, too
07-30-2008, 9:51 AM
We've had two woodworking stores go out of business in our area over the past 5 years. Woodcraft in Orange, CT closed last Saturday, Woodworker's Warehouse closed about five years ago.

Of the two, the Warehouse focused on tools. Lots of big iron and other tools. Woodcraft focused on parts and accessories. A few pieces of big iron but really not much the store could make much of a buck on. How many pen blanks or drawer pulls or H&L sanding discs do you have to sell to stay in business? Once you cut out the stuff Woodcraft could not (or did not) discount, there wasn't much point in going in even when there was a sale.

We probably have too few woodworkers in the area to sustain a business, but Woodcraft just didn't present much of a reason to go in and shop.

Just my two cents.

Ben Abate
07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
There was another woodworking store in town (Woodcrafters Supply) that I liked a lot, but they closed about a year ago.[/quote]

I have to agree about the (Woodcrafters Supply that had been a part of the Pittsburgh area for many years until the other franchises came to town. I believe if it were not for the franchises Tom would still be in business and doing well. They also had a store in Erie Pa. These folks were around before there were any of the mail order houses and so called discount chains. I really liked those guys, they were great to talk to and they would bring in vendors each month and do demos. Their selection of exotic woods was not to be beat by anyone. They carried a lot of lumber for a mom and pop type place. That back room and downstairs were filled with large pieces of lumber and plenty of it. Hardware out the ying yang, that's a real shame that these mega mail orders come to town and take out the little guy and then they go out of business because they can't afford the overhead. That was a family run business and in my eyes being a woodworker I always thought it was something to strive for, being in a business that you love and have a passion for. Only to be run out by some big mail order that as someone said sold way too many pen blanks.

I haven't been out there (Woodcrafters Supply) since it closed and I don't know what is now in that building. That is now two business in that building that have gone under. I can remember buying all kinds of backpacking gear in there 25 years ago before it was Woodcrafters Supply

pardon my rant, the old store was a good place to gather and talk woodworking.

Charles McKinley
07-31-2008, 1:37 AM
Thanks Ben And Brad,

Woodcrafter's Supply was the other store I was thinking of. Their wood selection was incredable!

I sure missed the Creek over the past year.

Bill Wilson
08-01-2008, 3:13 PM
Just checked the store locator on Woodcraft's website. The Pittsburgh store is no longer listed.

First Woodworders Supply in Wexford closed, now Woodcraft. That only leaves Rockler within a 50 or so mile radius of where I live. Bummer. :(