PDA

View Full Version : Who made this lathe?

Dominick Giarraputo
07-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi all, I was hoping someone might recognize this lathe and tell me who made it. I was given to me and there is no name on it anywhere.

Also, what kind of center do I need for the tailstock?

Gene Michael
07-25-2008, 12:01 AM
AMT (American Machine and Tool) manufactured it as well as a number of other very low cost WW tools. I still have mine. The tailstock center is one of a kind. If you can't backseat engineer one, a machine shop should be able to make one. My question is, are you sure you want to use this tool? The twin tube rails flex quite a bit and the tail stock device won't hold its setting (slips). When I decided to make 46 balusters and 5 newell posts, I started on this old machine. After throwing a partially completed baluster for the #@^(^!!! time, I coughed up the $ for a better lathe. I bought a Sears Craftsman that is really a Palmgren. I could have bought three of them on Ebay for what I paid Sears. I've read many negative comments about the Sears/Palmgren 15" lathe, but mine has worked flawlessly while fihnishing the project. If you cruise Ebay, sometimes you can find very good buys on decent used lathes of a number of brands. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. By the way, AMT was bought out years ago and the WW tool line dropped by the new owners.

Dominick Giarraputo
07-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Gene, thanks very much for the quick ID of the lathe. I don't plan on using it on a regular basis or doing anything "heavy duty" on this thing so I should be okay. I've never turned on a wood lathe so this will be a first for me. I have used a metal lathe but I know it's totally different. I was planning on building one from scratch and this kinda fell into my lap. Do you still have yours? If so, if you could take a picture of the tail center for me so I could see what it looks like I would be very appreciative.
BTW, do you know if this is the same AMT who made the semi-auto pistols?

Thanks again!!

Gene Michael
07-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Dominick, when I put up the Craftsman, I disassembled the AMT. I'll look for the tail center tomorrow. It shouldn't be hard to find. If you dont hear from me tomorrow night, send me a private message on SMC as a reminder. I'll take some measurements too.

Gene Michael
07-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Dominik, when I put up the Craftsman, I disassembled the AMT lathe. I'll look for the tail center tomorrow. If you haven't heard from me by midnight tomorrow, send me a private message on SMC as a reminder.

robert hainstock
07-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I bought my two tube lathe from Sears in the Sixties. Found out it was an AMT later and bought a lot of accessories for it from AMT. It came with a middle support to handle the flexing. If you use it I suggest you look into that option. :eek::eek::):)
Bob

Gene Michael
07-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Dominick, here goes. This is my first attempt at attaching photos. I apologize for the fuzzy pics - my camera doesn't have a close-up feature. The drawing is marked in millimeters.