PDA

View Full Version : My first table saw!

Glenn Howard
07-24-2008, 9:57 PM
Have you ever spent months researching a tool or piece of equipment, finally narrowed it down to what you wanted, only to find a great deal that changed your mind at the last minute? Happened to me this week (well, maybe not a great deal, but a good one and I'm happy!)

Some of you may remember from an earlier post of mine, that I was in the market for my first table saw. Based on my criteria, magazine/online reviews, and your feedback, I had narrowed down my options to either the Jet ProShop or a Craftsman "zip code" hybrid. (I had even almost pulled the trigger on a Rigid TS3660 because the price was less painful.)

I had 99% decided that I was ready to have my local Rockler store order the ProShop, when I stopped to visit the last place in my area that I had yet to check into. It's a "mom and pop" type place that my girlfriend's dad had told me about.

I ended up taking home a reconditioned Delta 36-715 with a T2 fence for $599 (mobile base included). This saw had been on my short list at one point, but had been scratched simply because the price exceeded the Jet and the Craftsman and didn't really offer any obvious advantages over either. It met all of my criteria except that the T2 fence is not quite the quality of a Beisemeyer. But it's still a good fence and I can easily upgrade later if I find the T2 to fall short.

They gave me a 6 month warranty (which I wouldn't have gotten by buying used). Since it had to be loaded into the back of my Honda Element, they uncrated it and the guys gave it a good once over. None of us could see any obvious signs that gave it away as reconditioned...good as new. I got it home and everything lined up true and square with no adjustments needed.

I couldn't be happier...only $50 more than the Rigid I almost bought, and about $300-$400 less than the other two hybrids I had been looking at. And since I came in at $400 under the budget I had given myself...I'm thinking...bandsaw???:rolleyes:

Lee Koepke
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Congrats.

New iron is ALWAYS fun to get. I hope to have a tool gloat by the end of the month :D

Peter Quinn
07-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Congrats and happy wood working. Sounds like a good find.

My first table saw was a very used 8" makita bench top. Have you ever broken down 4X8 sheets on a bench top saw?

Good for you starting with something reliable and powerful.

Dennis Reardon
07-25-2008, 12:56 AM
I have been helping a buddy of mine, who just "happens" to stop by my garage on weekends with a favor to ask, buy his first tablesaw. He just recently recieved his OK from his wife to go ahead and get one. I was quite surprized at the quality of more than one Hybrid TS. We have looked at the Delta's a couple of times and you are correct they are a bit pricey new. You, however scored a pretty good deal.

Now you need to start reading the "sled" and ZCI threads. I learned the hard way just how important building a good sled or two and a few Zero Clearance Inserts can be.

Oh and your first "project" after your sleds and inserts should be an outfeed table. This forum and the net are chock full of designs. I built mine based on one I saw here on the creek.

BTW don't get the bandsaw untill you buy your saw blades. By the time you buy the lumber for the sleds, outfeed table, get a good rip, crosscut and stacked dado that $400 will be nearly gone!

Rusty Elam
07-25-2008, 8:03 AM
Congratulations, you just bought the best table saw in the world...the one you are so proud of, it does not matter what brand or what it cost (no matter what you might hear) if you love it and you start cutting wood with it.
Be careful and congratulations again!!

scott spencer
07-25-2008, 9:05 AM
Nice deal Glenn! Odds are good you'll like the T2 just fine. Now get yourself a nice blade and align that thing dead on.

Congrats and enjoy!

Russ Massery
07-25-2008, 9:39 AM
Congrats on the saw. But I don't see no stinkin' saw.

Greg Cole
07-25-2008, 9:45 AM
Congrats on the saw. But I don't see no stinkin' saw.
What he said? I see no saw....? :D
Cheers.
Greg

Don Bullock
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Congratulations Glenn. That's a good deal. Enjoy! Pictures please.

scott spencer
07-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Glenn...quick, borrow this pic! :D

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0007ZJ6W6.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Greg Cole
07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Now that is one clean shop... the floor is so sterling white it looks as the saw is floating! :p

Greg