PDA

View Full Version : Cypress HF - Critique Requested

BILL DONAHUE
07-24-2008, 9:32 PM
Been away from woodturning for a while. (The excuse is called "red snapper season") The dimensions are 7 3/8" wide x 7 7/8" tall, with a 3 1/2" cypress HF and a 4 3/8" finial of spanish cedar with ebony stain. The wood was dry when I picked it up at Dale the Burl Guy's house in Alabama. The cypress turned very well and this was the 1st time I tried my newest toy, Mike Mahoney's finishing gouge. It cut my sanding time by about 75%, mainly because my gouge work in the past needed a lot of improvement. I feel that the finial is much too tall and wide for this size HF but repeated attempts to make a smaller one failed. I probably need more expertise and a harder wood than spanish cedar. The foot is 1 15/16" and came out much better than any I've done before. Finished with Danish oil and Beall buffed. As always, I apologize for the picture quality. (BTW - the lid wasn't on quite right for the picture but it does fit well)

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Bill - first off - very nice work! I like the shape on the hollow form and also all the detail work on the finial! I think you did a really good job on the finial considering how soft spanish cedar is - could be the new gouge, could be you have the skills to create the design you wanted!

I do have to agree with you about the finial being somewhat overpowering in this combination. I think it has great features but is just to large to complement the hollow form - but please understand - this is just my opinion. There are no hard and fast rules about finials when it comes to size - it is just a matter of what creates a feeling of balance and continues the curve presented by the hollow form.

Again - I think you did some really nice work and I am looking forward to seeing your next hollow form! Thanks for posting!

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Bill that is a great looking piece. Like Steve this is just my opinion. I would have shortened and made the finial a little more delicate. Otherwise great job.

Mike Minto
07-25-2008, 7:35 AM
Bill, very nice piece, one to be proud of. I agree that a shorter finial would have made the turning look more balanced, but it is very elegant as it sits. Mike

Gary Max
07-25-2008, 8:55 AM
How was the fishing??????????

Mike Vickery
07-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Beautiful piece.

Chip Sutherland
07-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the timely post. I'm working on a cypress HF myself and wasn't sure how to finish it. . Mine piece is more rustic with limb/knots. I probably wouldn't have noticed the finial as much as you did. You have developed a good eye for form which means you'll focus even more on the next one. I see more accomplished turners with elaborate finials that really turn me off and overpower the primary wood. Your finial isn't overpowering the wood.

john taliaferro
07-25-2008, 1:25 PM
dont touch the finial.i like it. honest i like just like it is.john t