PDA

View Full Version : Can not open files

Chip Peterson
07-24-2008, 9:02 PM
A potential customer sent me some files with graphics that they want engraved. The file extension is ".ai.ps". I think that is Adobe Illustrator?

They sent me 4 files. Two of them I could open into CorelDraw, but the other two give me the "Invalid File Format" message. I've looked at the file extensions over and over and I don't see any difference in file type.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Oh, yes I've asked them for a different file format, but no joy so far.

Thanks!

Mike Null
07-24-2008, 9:11 PM
There is a possibility that they are newer versions of aI and Corel can't open them.

Be sure you use the eps filter as well as trying the AI filter.

Joe Pelonio
07-24-2008, 9:35 PM
If you still have Corel 12 try that too, some of the ai files will open better in 12 than X3. If it's the latest ai have them save it as a lower version or you won't be able to open it without X4 (if that even works).

Doug Bergstrom
07-25-2008, 8:42 AM
Remove the .ps and leave the .ai only. Then the file should work fine. Were these emailed? If they email again have them send you the eps file, ai files sometimes get messed up through email.

if it doesn't work send me the files and I will try to get them to work for you.

Doug Griffith
07-25-2008, 9:36 AM
I bet the files were created in Illustrator and then rastered in Photoshop. This has happened to me before.

Try to open in a quality text editor. Within the first few lines of code you should see creator.

I'll also bet they can be opened in Photoshop.

Joe Pelonio
07-25-2008, 4:36 PM
I happened to get an example of what I was talking about. An ai was sent to me by a customer. I could not open it in X3 no matter what I did.

Then I tried Corel 12 and it opened right away using the pdf filter.

Since I can't upload it here, I have it on the internet if anyone wants to see if they get the same result. I also noticed it's a file of 1.12MB which is huge for such a simple graphic.

http://members.aol.com/bisjoe/anchor.ai

John Noell
07-25-2008, 6:29 PM
Can that really be a PDF 1.4 /Illustrator 6 file? That's what the header seems to say. Maybe it's too OLD a format to work. Anybody try CorelDraw 4? :)

Doug Griffith
07-25-2008, 9:07 PM
I opened it in a text editor and it says Illustrator version 12. Other than that, it comes in corrupted.

Chip Peterson
08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
After much to-do, I've received files again and now they are xx_pod.ai files. I still can't open them with X3. That is my only version of Coreldraw. Any ideas?

I get an error message that pops up saying it's trying to open outside of my "protected mode". It also indicates that it is an unknown file type.

Further:

Name: Windows Shell Common Dll
Details: C:\Windows\system32\shell32.dll

Thanks in advance

Mike Null
08-07-2008, 1:16 PM
Ask them to send them as eps files.

Doug Griffith
08-07-2008, 1:26 PM
That's an Illustrator file. If you want to email me the files, PM me and I'll convert them to EPS for you.

Chip Peterson
08-08-2008, 8:07 AM
Thanks All. I found that it had been created on a Mac (not sure if that matters or not). The files emialed would not open with the xx.ai format. Once it was saved as an xxx.eps format, it came through like a champ.

Now I have to get the business!