View Full Version : Anyone here ever made a tool? A detail goug perhaps?

Joshua Dinerstein
07-24-2008, 7:02 PM
So I had a little success with the shaping of that toolrest and I fear it went to me head and I started thinking hey... I could make that tool I have been eyeballing for awhile. Darrell Feltmate's website of course makes took fabrication look so darn easy so.... I thought I would ask all of you here. Anyone made such a tool?

I had just figured that making a tool for a few dollars to try was bit better of an idea that purchasing an expensive one just to go... "Humm.... nope!" Like I did with the skew. ;)

I got on his website and read over his plans for making some new tools. Darrell has plans for hollowing tools, hook tools and an interesting looking tri-tip tool.

So why a detail gouge? Well I started watching a few of the new wood turning TV shows and both Tim Yoder of the WoodTurning Workshop and Dave Hout of the WoodTurning Techniques use a detail gouge. Which appears to be something like a spindle gouge but with the much more shallow flute and a fingernail grind.

I went looking online and found a few great pictures of the detail gouge and few others here: http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/parting.html

From what I can see it is just a round tool with just a small section removed from the very top edge forming a flute and then the fingernail grind. It looks quite easy in many ways so I got to thinking about it all and wanted to try to make one.

So the first question for the wizards of turning is on the steel for the tool. I know I know most of you/us work with wood but we do that work with steel tools so I wanted to ask. I had planned to hit enco and get some drill rod (model #409-0021 (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=941031&PMAKA=409-0021)) and work on it and then harden and temper it.

The length of the drill rod is 3' so it would give me enough steel to make several attempts at this as well as play with different bevel angles on different tools at the same time etc... so that appeals. But in re-reading the tri-tip tool Darrell had posted about I saw that it was from a High Speed Steel (HSS) stock from enco.

So the first real question is that I was just wondering if you guys thought the tool steel of the drill rod would be good enough to make a turning tool out of? Will it hold an edge of properly hardened and tempered and if any you had any any experience with that kind of thing that you might like to pass on.

The second question is mostly about fabrication. I had planned to use a drill bit to make the flute by drilling down in and then had read a comment from Dave Hout about dressing a grinder wheel down to make it a sharp oval and using that to grind out a simple flute. This is part of where having that extra 2' of steel drill rod comes in handy! :) I could try things several times looking for a good technique. So the actual second question at long last, given your own experiences have you any suggestions on how I should go about making the flute and shaping things in general? Any advice general or otherwise?

Thanks,

Joshua

Dennis Ford
07-25-2008, 6:38 PM
I have made a couple of tools. Cutting the flute with a grinder will work but it won't be easy to grind and polish a consistent flute. Hardened tool steel will cut wood just as good as high speed steel but it will require more frequent sharpening. You will have to careful not to overheat the steel during sharpening. The frequent sharpening may not be a problem with tools like detail gouges and three point tools which are used for short time periods.:rolleyes:

Wes Henson
07-26-2008, 5:24 PM
Joshua,
I made a tool like similar to what Darrell Feltmate shows (Also see www.monster-wood-tool.com/ (http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/) for some ideas). They have worked out pretty well for me. Though not a true detail gouge you can grind the HSS cutters with a long profile and do some nice small work. Also a fairly cheap way to get into making some tools. Be warned though you have to take off a lot of steel to get your profile so you may want to putchase a really course wheel. I've also grinded a pointed scraper and am working on a beading and parting tool.
For doing the tool steel version check out the article by Jon Siegel http://www.bigtreetools.com/articles/siegel%2018-4.pdf
You are talking along thouse lines so, maybe you have read it. I've heard of people using a thin wheel to make a flute and also drilling into the end of the rod and then grinding away the top half to form a flute. Haven't had a chance to try this yet but I'm wanting to; so make sure and post how it goes
Good Luck
Wes