PDA

View Full Version : Latest piece - critique, please

Mike Minto
07-24-2008, 6:49 PM
Here's my latest attempt. A friend gave me this piece of cherry from a large branch which had apparently died a couple of years ago while still on the tree. He took this piece to see if I would like the wood. Heck, yes, I responded - FREE WOOD! And very hard wood, too. Anyway, the shape is basically what he gave to me - then it was just a flat chunk - all I did was the lathe work to thin it's cross section and make the bowl. The winged look is, as I say, as it was handed to me. It has been sanded to 220, and I have put 5 coats of Teak oil on it, and will give it more this week. I'm wondering what kind of finish coat to put over that to help the bark stay on - any ideas? Oh, yes - I did stain the edges dark with Mixol Dunkelbraun mixed in the oil for two coats, then plain oil over that. Dimensions are 11.5" long, 6" wide, 2" tall. Mike :)

Bruce Pennell
07-24-2008, 8:33 PM
Mike that had to be a great test to see if your lathe would stay attached to the floor. Nothing like a 11" wing to make things wobble. Neat looking piece, the foot looks a little boxy for my taste....winged is just a lot of fun to turn...Bruce
It really reminds me of the last mesquite winged bowl I turned, loved it from the top, but the bottom reminded me of a hat. But I had fun turning it, thats whats important. Winged and HF I seem to be hooked on lately. Great job!!!:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2008, 9:19 PM
Mike it is a good looking piece. I agree the foot is to boxy and I would have removed it plus made the wings thinner but that is just my taste. After it dries I would use some spray on poly especially on the bark.

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2008, 9:50 PM
Mike - that sure is some good looking wood! I think your overall idea of form is right on - but have to agree with the previous statements: thinner wings and either totally lose the foot or cut it down so it is not such a prominent feature. Bernie's idea of a spray poly would work great - just make sure you allow enough time for the oil that has been already applied to cure first - or you will have a real gummy mess!

Nice work Mike - looking forward to your next turning!

Mike Minto
07-25-2008, 7:29 AM
thanks, guys, i appreciate the feedback. it was my intent, with this piece, to get away from what was discussed in another thread - 'the modern form' and it's evolution, which of course will eventually change given the nature of aesthetic sensibilities. i wanted this finished piece to reflect it's beginning (which naturally no one but my friend and i saw) - rough, coarse, even bucolic - but with the softness that a finished piece should have. looking forward to more postings and more critiques, mike