PDA

View Full Version : Akeda Dovetail Jig w/pics

Russell Tribby
07-24-2008, 6:19 PM
I've had this jig for about 2 years but have never really put the time into it that it deserves. I had to build five drawers for a repeat customer so I figured this was the perfect opportunity to pull it out. I've recently started a war on sawdust in my shop and the thought of using my PC 4210 (which I'm getting rid of) and spewing chips everywhere did not appeal to me. If you've never seen the Akeda in action you should know that it excels at dust collection. I've included a pic to show what little I had to clean up after dovetailing five drawers. Had I attempted that with the PC both myself and the floor would have been covered.

Since the drawers were only 5 1/4" wide I decided to route both the tails and the pins at the same time (I have the 16" version of the jig). I placed the snap in fingers for the tails on the left and the fingers for the pins on the right. While it is not as fast as the PC it is pretty darn close and the time saved in cleanup is worth it. You have to use a backer block when routing the tails or you'll get chip out (even with the Whiteside bits). To route the pins the piece has to protrude from the guide rail the amount equivalent to the thickness of the piece. In this case it is 5/8". To speed things up I've used a cut off that correctly spaces the pin piece. I simply place it flush against the front guide rail and then but the piece up against it. This saves a lot of time.

The jig is a pleasure to use and easy to operate. I made a little drawer (similar to John Lucas' to hold all of the little snap in fingers. This makes things a lot quicker and it is certainly more functional. I just take this with me to the jig and I can grab or replace whatever I need.

I also took some time to route some scrap pieces with the different bit depth profiles. I coupled the scraps with the recommended bit and cut the profile. This'll make setting the bit height in the future a lot easier and faster.

The jig is a pleasure to use and easy to operate. I've never had the opportunity to use the Leigh or the Omnijig but I can't imagine the dust collection being better. Oh yeah, almost forgot the most important part....the fit was spot on.

Russell Tribby
07-24-2008, 6:21 PM
Here are the last few pics showing the set up blocks and fit.

Mark Valsi
07-24-2008, 11:54 PM
question ?

Why did you make the spacings so even ??????

the good thing about the akeda is that you can alternate spaces !!!

the way you did it, it looks like a factory made it instead of a craftsman !

Russell Tribby
07-25-2008, 9:26 AM
question ?

Why did you make the spacings so even ??????

the good thing about the akeda is that you can alternate spaces !!!

the way you did it, it looks like a factory made it instead of a craftsman !

I totally agree. However, all of the other drawers in this customer's kitchen look like this so I had to match what they had, otherwise I would have added some variety.

Thomas Pender
07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Although I do not use it as much as I thought I might when I bought it, each use of it since has been worthwhile.

Example of what I did recently (picture taken to demonstrate damage on post that had to be fixed - but it shows dovetails cut in ash and QSWO). This was for a sidebaord made of walnut and QSWO. As you can see, I varied the size of the dovetails. I like the positive clicking feature. For me, it is much faster than hand cutting.

The person I made it for was and is really enthused about the dovetails. She leaves it open for folks to see.

I also like the dust collection and the instruction booklet. I have no desire to dispose of this thing. I just want to make sure I can get more parts and router bits when I need them.

T

Calvin Crutchfield
07-26-2008, 3:32 AM
i have one of these too. The first time I used it was great. the second time not so much. But it was probably router or bit depth related.

I know the have a 24" version now, but are there after market bit sets for the Akeda?

I am now inspired to get it out again.

Russell Tribby
07-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Thomas, nice job on that piece. The contrast of the two woods is great. I would have liked to do something similar this time around but I was constrained by having to match previous work.
Calvin, Whiteside makes a set for the Akeda jig. I highly recommend picking them up. If there is one thing about the jig that I find less than desireable it's the bit set. I got the Whiteside bits from Holbren and they are.....well, they're Whiteside.