PDA

View Full Version : Any creative ideas for a router sled?

Andy Pratt
07-24-2008, 5:03 PM
Another recent post had me wondering if anyone has come up with a creative idea for making a large (thinking roughly 2+' by 6' for rustic table tops) router sled that doesn't take up a huge amount of storage space.

The first things that come to mind are ones that can be disassembled and easily/accurately put back together or ones that use a large existing surface for most of the support.

Any creative ideas on storing a normal sled of this size in otherwise unused space would work too. I would like to build one, but I'm at a loss for where to put it, it would probably only be used every few months, so accessibility isn't an issue.

Dino Makropoulos
07-24-2008, 7:02 PM
Another recent post had me wondering if anyone has come up with a creative idea for making a large (thinking roughly 2+' by 6' for rustic table tops) router sled that doesn't take up a huge amount of storage space.

The first things that come to mind are ones that can be disassembled and easily/accurately put back together or ones that use a large existing surface for most of the support.

Any creative ideas on storing a normal sled of this size in otherwise unused space would work too. I would like to build one, but I'm at a loss for where to put it, it would probably only be used every few months, so accessibility isn't an issue.

Andy,
You can get some ideas from here:
This is my setup and not a product for sale.
The capacity on my setup is 26"x 42".

Few notes:
Use L shaped wood for stability and strength.
Make your router base to slide on the bridge rail that can be a U shaped piece with sharp corners.
Your router base can easily slide on the U Bridge.
Good luck and post some pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC5m1vl90fo

glenn bradley
07-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I just saw a router sled in a recent mag. I only get Wood and Woodsmith anymore so it must be in there but I am not finding it right now. The even included a wall mount for storage. Let me look . . . no deal. I'll keep trying. Anybody else see that one or is it an old mag and I didn't realize?