PDA

View Full Version : Cradle for 1st grandchild

Allan Brown
07-24-2008, 4:57 PM
I finished this about a month ago, and have been hesitant to post any pictures, but I'm getting too excited about my daugher's first child (and my first grandchild -- a girl) -- and just gotta say something! :D

This was my first significant project, and I took my time...wanted everything to be as nice as possible for her first home. It was a pleasure doing the bulk of the work with hand tools, although a bandsaw helped to ease some of the labor.

The base and basket ends are curly maple; the sides are tiger maple. I used pre-turned spindles from LV, although for my next one (?), I'll likely turn my own. After smoothing with a card scraper, I used 4-5 coats of Tride & True Varnish Oil, allowing a full 5 to 6 days per coat to dry. I used 4/0 steel wool after the first and final coats, finishing with two coats of paste wax.

Because cradles typically become heirlooms, I wanted my maker's mark on it, but couldn't find a suitable spot to strike. The base was the only area that I dared use -- and then only because I could place it over a steel plate without fear of causing undue stress somewhere else. Anyway -- not exactly unobtrusive, but my daugher doesn't mind...

I always swore that I wouldn't become a typical "Grandpa" -- and I likely won't be...but I can already tell there's going to be something quite mystical in holding this new baby girl...

Thanks for looking...oh, Iris isn't due until August 10, but my daugher says it's going to be sooner! And she's put in an order for a small bookcase to match the cradle. I'm already on it...
Allan

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2008, 5:19 PM
Allen

1st....beautiful work and it will become a family heirloom!

2nd....Grandkids are a whole lot more fun than kids. You can afford to spoil them and send them home!

3rd.....Great-grandkids are even more fun.

You'll enjoy it more than you ever imagined!

John Thompson
07-24-2008, 5:54 PM
Absolutely love it Allan. It's super-dupper for rocking a new baby pooper to say the least. :)

Seriously.. extremely well done and quite beautiful.You have indeed produced a family heir-loom which is much better than becoming a family heir-loom! :D

Well done, grand-pappy....

Sarge..

Ed Sallee
07-24-2008, 6:26 PM
Kudo's to you! The combination of the maples looks very nice. This crib will be around for a long time.... and I'm certain that your maker's mark is in just the right spot....
For me, heirlooms is what it's all about!
Way to go!

Bruce Page
07-24-2008, 6:41 PM
That's beautiful Allan.
I second everything Ken said except the Great-grandkids thing. I'm way too young to know about that! :p:D

Larry Browning
07-24-2008, 7:36 PM
One of my 1st real working projects was a cradle for my 1st grandchild. Probably still is my favorite project ever! The only problem with a cradle is that that baby grows faster than a weed! She will outgrow it in just a few months. This turned out to be somewhat disappointing for me, in that it took me longer to build it than he used it. One thing that I did that seemed to help me get over this feeling was that I had a small brass plate engraved with his name, birthday, and weight on it and I mounted it on the end of the cradle. I also got about 6 more blank plates and attached them to the bottom of the cradle to be used for future occupants. I got the extra plates so that they would all be the same and they could age evenly. This sort of brings home the idea that the cradle can be used for generations to come and it truly is a family heirloom.

Allan Brown
07-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks for your kind words and affirmation that, indeed, it's pretty special to know you're going to leave something substantive behind that will be valued, cherished, and put to good use long after you're gone. But I'm not planning an exit until I, too, get a chance to see some great-grandkids! WooHoo!
Allan

Martin Shupe
07-25-2008, 4:04 AM
Very nice cradle, can you tell us where you got the plans?

Allan Brown
07-25-2008, 11:23 AM
My source was woodcraftplans.com, and they have quite a variety of stuff. Since completing this, I've definitely decided that my next one will be of my own design -- thinking cabriole legs, ball & claw...whole nine yards! :)

Don C Peterson
07-25-2008, 2:45 PM
Allen

1st....beautiful work and it will become a family heirloom!

2nd....Grandkids are a whole lot more fun than kids. You can afford to spoil them and send them home!

3rd.....Great-grandkids are even more fun.

You'll enjoy it more than you ever imagined!

1st I completely agree, that is a beautiful cradle that should be treasured for generations

2nd...Why didn't anybody tell me this before I had kids? I would have had grandkids first!

Greg Cole
07-25-2008, 3:09 PM
1st I completely agree, that is a beautiful cradle that should be treasured for generations

2nd...Why didn't anybody tell me this before I had kids? I would have had grandkids first!

I agree with Don. Very nice & it will be something that is passed on & on.

I am one of the few you'll ever meet who was a grandfather that has no children. Having married a woman 8+ years my senior brings about some odd situations as mentioned above. I've been a grandfather since I was 27!?!?!?:confused::rolleyes::D But in all reality I am more akin to the grandsons actual father (lives with my wife and I and we raise him) than I ever will be his grampa... but the hairs on my chin are starting to look grandfatherly....LOL

Cheers.
Greg

Ben Davis
07-26-2008, 6:52 AM
Congrats on the new arrival. The piece looks great!

Kevin C. Johnson
07-26-2008, 8:26 AM
Allen,
I just gave my 1st grand child (a girl) her cradle. I really like mixing the different woods used.
thanks for the pictures