PDA

View Full Version : Bit height adjust. in Colt Router

Dick Bringhurst
07-24-2008, 4:40 PM
I bought the Bosch Colt Router Kit. It comes with three different bases. One is an offset base. I find that I can not make a fine adjustment of the bit height when using the offset collet. I even read the instructions but to no avail. Is there a trick to this or am I out of luck? Dick B.

Dewey Torres
07-24-2008, 4:47 PM
I bought the Bosch Colt Router Kit. It comes with three different bases. One is an offset base. I find that I can not make a fine adjustment of the bit height when using the offset collet. I even read the instructions but to no avail. Is there a trick to this or am I out of luck? Dick B.

Is the position indicator in the "locked padlock" position?
Finite adjustment can only be done in lock... of course with the quick cam opened.

Dick Bringhurst
07-24-2008, 5:39 PM
Dewey, Your're right for the standard base. The Offset base has no fine adjustment knob because the base cannot move due to the drive belt connection. The offset collet is fixed in the base and is not (I think) adjustable vertically except by moving the bit shaft in and out of the collet. Dick B.

Peter Quinn
07-24-2008, 7:07 PM
Dick, I just went to look at mine. There is no height adjustment beyond playing with the bits position in the collet on the colts off set base. I think that off set base is really made for close quarters flush trimming where precise bit height is not required. It lets you get right into corners and such.

I have made several off set bases for the colt by removing the base plate from the standard base and attaching the standard base to a 4"X10"X3/4" board with a 4"X4"X3/8" piece removed from one end to minimize bit height adjustment loss. Works good if that close quarters feature is not essential. I have also used this same board with the base mounted to the flat side, with the notched side down, for flush trimming edge banding, works great.

Dick Bringhurst
07-24-2008, 7:42 PM
Thanks Peter. That's what I'll have to do. Dick B.