PDA

View Full Version : Raising the Sheer

Dane Allen
07-24-2008, 2:45 PM
Is there any reason that raising the level of the sheer without increasing the beam would be a bad idea? I'm looking at plans for a Dory but it is a little shallow inside for my comfort so before I take the plunge (yes, pun intended) I want to know what modifications I can safely make.

Jim Creech
07-25-2008, 1:00 PM
That would depend on how much you want to increase the depth of the hull. On a simple dory, just increasing the width of the sheer strake will increase the beam slightly. Adding another plank at the sheer with a beveled lap joint to keep the plank vertical, thus maintaining the beam width will work as long as you stay within reason ( about 3-4 ") however this will detract from the appearance. There are other considerations that come into play if you want to increase depth any more than mentioned above

Jim

John Schreiber
07-25-2008, 1:08 PM
I'm not a marine engineer or even close, but I'd think about it like this. Most dory designs are many years old. They are the shape they are based on many years of experience. I'd be reluctant to make a change to a design unless I was really sure of myself.

Perhaps there's another design out there which is more to your liking, and which also has demonstrated that it works over the years.

Tony Bilello
09-28-2008, 3:32 PM
If you are going to raise the ribs and the sheer only about 6" or so, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. The only negative things that I can think of off hand are it will change the 'look' .of the boat as to not being as graceful and also it will significantly add windage making docking more difficult on a windy day.

Tony B.

Mac McQuinn
11-04-2008, 3:37 PM
We did this on a older 13' strip canoe design and it worked out well. Actually pulled the stern freeboard down and pushed the bow up. Run a batten through the points and connected the dots once your happy with the sheer. Everyone kept coming over at the show and looking at the canoe, scratching their head trying to figure out who's design it was.
Good luck.

Mac