PDA

View Full Version : Corel help....really heeeeeelllp!

Eric Allen
07-24-2008, 1:07 AM
This is a new twist I haven't seen before. I was resizing my corners on a rectangle and noticed they weren't equal, even though the numbers for the four corners were correct. They were elongated on one side of the corner. Anyone have an idea what function might have gone wrong and how to make it stop? I noticed something that I don't remember seeing next to my size numbers for the object, it was called "scale factor". For all the world I don't think that was there before. No idea how to stop it, and of course, the customer needs the parts yesterday, that's the only time Corel or the laser act up....:) Any help is sure to minimize the damage to my home from my head exploding, thanks all:)

Bob Davis
07-24-2008, 4:01 AM
This has probably happened because you drew a rectangle and then resized it, and then adjusted the corners. Corel uses the original rectangle ratios to round the corners.
Try drawing the rectangle close to the correct final size before resizing, then round the corners.

Eric Allen
07-24-2008, 4:23 AM
I have always been able to draw any rectangle of any size, type in the size numbers I wanted, and then round the corners no problem, so if that's the case, there's something that has changed. I'm having problems sizing now too. I draw the rectangle, go to enter the values, and after hitting enter it comes out something totally different, I believe in the ratio that is displayed next to the size in scaleable %. I'm guessing here based on the correlation, but it appears all of my rectangles are automatically getting locked into a ratio instead of being open to easy resizing like they used to be. Now if I can just get that turned off......:)

Scott Shepherd
07-24-2008, 8:36 AM
Eric, Bob is correct, if you draw a rectangle and resize it, you can't drag the corners into radii. It's well documented as an issue in Corel.

You can resize it and use the "fillet" function, which works fine.

As for the box being locked into a ratio, I know it's a simple question, but is the little padlock to the right of the input boxes for the sizes locked? If so, click on it to unlock it and you can draw any size.

Paul Brinkmeyer
07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
An answer from Tony S in an earlier post

DRAW sees the object at the original size, rounds the corners and then stretches it..which produces elongated corners.

A quick fix is to undo the rounding and use Fillet/Chamfer/Scallop...this is also handy as it has absolute units vs. the rectangle only support rounding in the % of the longest axis.

A second quick fix is to have only that rectangle selected and then hold the shift key and double click on the rectangle tool...this will create a new rectangle the same size as the original one....delete the original one and the round the corners of the new one.

Brian Robison
07-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Where is fillet / chamfer / scallop in V12?

Eric Allen
07-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Eric, Bob is correct, if you draw a rectangle and resize it, you can't drag the corners into radii. It's well documented as an issue in Corel.

You can resize it and use the "fillet" function, which works fine.

As for the box being locked into a ratio, I know it's a simple question, but is the little padlock to the right of the input boxes for the sizes locked? If so, click on it to unlock it and you can draw any size.

Oddly, that lock is gone. It was there when I first posted, but after reboot, it's just....gone!:) It didn't matter what I did to it though, still did that same thing. When I go to resize it, what's happening now is that the resizing is done in proportion. I believe it's done to the last number I typed in. Since this is a 6 x 1.25 file, the bottom comes out at 1.25 and the top is correspondingly reduced to the original percentages that existed at the time of the box creation, that's never happened to me before. It's like the scale function has locked into every box I create. If I can get that solved, then I can implement the other functions everyone has been so gracious in offering:) I got the patterns made so I can take them into my press guy and get them made by creating a 6x1.25 page size and creating a page sized rectangle, though I can't remember how. It didn't happen like it's supposed to, where you open the rectangle tool and double click in the box, but somehow I pulled it off. Now I just need to figure out that sizing glitch for the future. Always something new and exciting:)

Eric Allen
07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Where is fillet / chamfer / scallop in V12?

Brian, that's in the "dockers" under "window" in X3, might check there right quick. Since I never used those functions before, had to look it up in this version:) I ordinarily have no use for those functions, thank God for SMC people:)

Scott Shepherd
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
It's not in V12. Sorry.

Scott Shepherd
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Eric, try this :

To reset menus to the default setting.

1. Click on Tools --> Customization
2. In the Customization list of categories, click Command bars.
3. Choose Menu bar from the list.
4. Click Reset

Not sure if it'll work, but it's worth a try.

Eric Allen
07-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Ok, here's a quick solution if you're like me and do loads of the same part at once. I made the page size the size of the part, double clicked the rectangle box, then resized the page to accomodate more. That gives you a part of the right size, really quickly. Thanks to all who helped, I'm sure all those methods will serve at some point as I go along:)

Mike Null
07-25-2008, 5:07 PM
Brian

You can download a free corner rounder macro as well as a few others from this site. They work very well.

http://www.oberonplace.com/vba/drawmacros/tiler.htm