PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up coves cut on the table saw...

Michael Donahue
07-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Well, I cut my first cove on my table saw and it came out pretty well except it was pretty rough. I was using a thin kerf Woodworker II, figuring that a blade that works as well as it does for general cutting should do OK for the cove.

I talked to a guy at work and he blamed the roughness on my using a thin kerf blade, but then he has a thing against them I think :D I've only got a 1.5 HP Ridgid saw so that's why I've been using thin kerf blades. Do I need a higher tooth count to cut coves cleanly? Do you think the thin kerf really has enough flex to rough up the cove cuts?

I'm open to recommendations!

John Lucas
07-24-2008, 1:29 AM
I do not think t hat the thin ferk made the difference. In my mind, the speed of the pass, the fixturing (holddowns) and other things have a play in the smoothness, BUT, fact is, you are going to get roughness and the question really is how to get rid of it. I athink a cuved scraper is the place to start, then sandpapera. If you have a Festool Rotex 150, that is ideal or their in-line sander with a convex sanding plate. So much depends on how much you have to clean up.

Joe Jensen
07-24-2008, 1:59 AM
I haven't done the table saw coves for years. They were never smooth for me. I use a curved cabinet scraper and they clean up within a few minutes. Then I use sandpaper wrapped around a curved rubber sanding pad...joe

Dewey Torres
07-24-2008, 3:04 AM
CMT makes a cove cutter for the table saw. It will significantly reduce but not eliminate these marks. If you are going to do lots of cove cutting this is a great buy for $130.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P4JP66?smid=A3YAOEYEPE77U&tag=nextag-tools-tier5-20&linkCode=asn

Rick Potter
07-24-2008, 3:42 AM
I did some for an oak kitchen I built. One thin kerf blade must have some flex when you feed it from the side like that. I used the two outside blades of my Dado set, which gave me twice the teeth, and twice the weight for the blade. It was still a bit rough, but sanded out pretty quickly.

If I may suggest..you can change the type of cove by using different size blades, like two or three skill saw blades stacked, a cove cutting set, etc. You can also make the cove more of an elipse by tilting the blade. Be sure to take off just a little at a time, and make the last pass a cleanup.

I made a simple adjustable fence for my saw, which I clamp down, with the blade always pushing the work toward the fence. Try a 43 degree angled fence with a 30 degree blade tilt. It makes a nice elipse.

Rick Potter

Rick Potter

Lee Schierer
07-24-2008, 7:40 AM
I use a full kerf Freud LU97M Triple Chip Grind http://www.freudtools.com/images/detailproduct1/triple.jpg style blade. You get better reults if the blade has raker style teeth. The flat topped tooth will clean out the wood more evenly and give a smoother cut. You still will have sanding to do, but less of it. Pointed teeth will leave lots of "score" lines which will be harder to sand out.

Steve Bagi
07-24-2008, 8:37 AM
An ATB blade will leave a rough finish. I use a rip blade with raker teeth and and make a very light final pass. Clean up the blade marks with a curved scraper.

Mike Wilkins
07-24-2008, 9:53 AM
The blade does not matter. A cove cut will produce a rough cut, period.
Use a curved scraper, hand-held sandpaper, or sandpaper backed up with a piece of round foam (the type used to insulate pipes) to smooth the cove.
Even the guys in Finewoodworking Magazine use this method.

Steve Bagi
07-24-2008, 10:21 AM
I guess we can agree to disagree. I've cut coves with a Forrest WWII (ATB) and a Freud Heavy Duty Rip and the Rip blade was MUCH smoother requiring a lot less scraping and sanding.

Bruce Wrenn
07-24-2008, 11:45 PM
I use an old Craftsman molding head with the round nose cutters in it. Much smoother than with a blade. CMT cutter works on same principal.