PDA

View Full Version : 16" FH Clement jointer rebuild update and request for help...

Rick Ford
07-24-2008, 12:13 AM
I can't figure out how to append this info to the original post that shows pics of the jointer disassembly, so I 'll start a new thread. I have been working on getting my old 16" jointer up and running. It has babbitt bearings that appear to be in good shape. After cleaning out the old oil wells I added Velocite #6 oil and new felt wicks to the wells. As you can see in the pics.

Here's the problem...when the jointer is running oil is slung out the sides of the shaft. It is a large amount that gets slung all over the table and the wood. :( There are grooves cut in the ends of the bearings that I thought were there to allow the oil to drain back in to the well. It doesn't seem to work.

I also read in the forums that the bearings should not get hot. What is hot??? I could feel them get warm but not too hot to touch after about 5
minutes of operation.

Is the velocite oil too thin??? or is there a problem with the bearings??

I've added some replies to this post with more pics of the assembly.

Rick Ford
07-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Here's a link to the original post so you can see the other pics. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=869313#poststop

I plan to have the entire process on my website soon. www.woodworks.us.com (http://www.woodworks.us.com)

George Sanders
07-24-2008, 6:44 AM
If you join the forum at www.owwm.org and post the pics they can answer all of your questions. A lot of the guys there are machinists and some specialize in Babbitt bearing machines. There are many posts about Babbitt. You can do a search and read up on the topic and probably find your answer.

Jim Becker
07-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I can't figure out how to append this info to the original post that shows pics of the jointer disassembly, so I 'll start a new thread.

All you need to do is reply to your original thread...

Jim
SMC Moderator

(Nice project, BTW...)

Chuck Wintle
07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
I can't figure out how to append this info to the original post that shows pics of the jointer disassembly, so I 'll start a new thread. I have been working on getting my old 16" jointer up and running. It has babbitt bearings that appear to be in good shape. After cleaning out the old oil wells I added Velocite #6 oil and new felt wicks to the wells. As you can see in the pics.

Here's the problem...when the jointer is running oil is slung out the sides of the shaft. It is a large amount that gets slung all over the table and the wood. :( There are grooves cut in the ends of the bearings that I thought were there to allow the oil to drain back in to the well. It doesn't seem to work.

I also read in the forums that the bearings should not get hot. What is hot??? I could feel them get warm but not too hot to touch after about 5
minutes of operation.

Is the velocite oil too thin??? or is there a problem with the bearings??

I've added some replies to this post with more pics of the assembly.
I am no expert on babbit bearings but it is my bet the oil is too thin causing it to run easily past the bearing or the babbit is worn out and needs to be replaced. Another option is to replace the babbit with ball bearings.

Kirk Poore
07-24-2008, 1:06 PM
Rick:

Yes, the Velocite is probably too thin. You may want to try plain old non-detergent 30W. In addition, your reserviors may be too full and the oil is flowing out of them. On my jointer, I do get a slow dribble of oil out of the babbit bearings, but not enough to splash on the wood.

Too hot is when you can put your hand on the babbitt cap, but you can't keep it there indefinitely. Warm is OK. Too hot comes from not enough oil or your bearing caps being too tight, preventing the oil from forming a film on the shaft--in other words, not enough oil again but for a different reason.

BTW, over on OWWM.org there is another guy who justed posted a question about the babbit bearings on a 16" FH Clement jointer. What are the odds?:)

Kirk