PDA

View Full Version : New Turning Tool Racks - Take a Look!

Jeff Wright
07-23-2008, 11:32 PM
I just made and installed two racks for my woodturning tools. I used a suggested design from American Woodworker (at the suggestion of one of you posters!). I modified the design just a tad. I had a four foot wall area to use, but I made two 24-inch racks because I was concerned a rack much larger than 24 inches would not have the rigidity of one 24 inches. As can be seen in one of the frontal photos, each tool seeks its own resting point on the bottom 45 degree support board, resulting in a secure grasp of the tool regardless of how thick or narrow or long or short the handle. The design allows easy removal and replacement of each tool. The 45 degree slanted bottom also helps to prevent the build-up of chips. I used screws and glue to assemble the pieces, plugging the screw holes with matching poplar plugs. The racks are rock-solid. I especially liked the fact that I could keep the design depth shallow and still not have the business end of each tool rub up against the block wall. The tools are able to rest perfectly vertical eliminating the need to cant the tools rearwards towards the wall for balance.

I'm taking orders built to your desired lengths!! :D

Jeff Wright
07-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Here's one more pic . . .

Ken Fitzgerald
07-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Nice racks Jeff! What? Are you trying to hide that Mustard Monster under that paint drop?:rolleyes:

Jeff Wright
07-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Nice racks Jeff! What? Are you trying to hide that Mustard Monster under that paint drop?:rolleyes:

Ken, I don't want to take any chances that moisture gets on the ways and cause rust. You'll notice the mini-split AC/Heat above the lathe on the wall. They've been known to drip water if the drain hose clogs.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2008, 12:04 AM
That makes sense Jeff. Our humidity is so low here, it seldom is a problem except maybe if you were to move cast iron from an unheated to a heated space in the winter time.

Paul Douglass
07-24-2008, 12:12 AM
You will love those racks. I made one for my tools. Same concept. Got the idea from a fishing pole rack I made. My tool rack isn't quite as pretty as yours but it works great. I made it out of scraps I had around. Nice job on yours. Like I said you will love it.

Wayne Bower
07-24-2008, 8:10 AM
I like the racks. Some of those may be showing up in my shop soon. ;)

Burt Alcantara
07-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Beautiful racks. The tools look a bit too close for my hands. My rack has more space between the tools and they are much too close for me. I have to make an effort to rack the tools without knocking them all down.

Burt

Dana Vogel
07-24-2008, 10:19 AM
I like that design with the self locking bottom, thanks for the inspiration and this will be my next project when my new Ashley Iles turning tools get here today.:cool:;)

Jim Becker
07-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Great job on that rack, Jeff!

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Very nice rack Jeff. You are going to like it.

Pete Jordan
07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Wow Jeff!

Too high quality for my shop. Everyone would know I didn't build it.

Brett Baldwin
07-24-2008, 2:07 PM
Simple, good looking and effective. Great work

Robert McGowen
07-24-2008, 2:16 PM
Such a great design and craftsmanship that I am on the way to the shop right now. Time to get the bowl blanks off of the table saw. :rolleyes:

John Sheets
07-24-2008, 4:02 PM
I usually don't say this to a guy, but..uh... nice rack, Jeff.

Bruce Pennell
07-24-2008, 5:06 PM
Jeff shouldn't you have made three racks, not much room left for new tools! Great job..Bruce

Tom Godley
07-24-2008, 5:41 PM
I like them also -- great idea on the bottom so that chips/dust do not get in the way.

What make of mini-split do you have. I have to make a decision by tomorrow on one for my addition. I was also looking at less expensive models for the shop building.

Ben Gastfriend
07-24-2008, 5:48 PM
Great idea, very well executed.

Jeff Wright
07-24-2008, 8:35 PM
I like them also -- great idea on the bottom so that chips/dust do not get in the way.

What make of mini-split do you have. I have to make a decision by tomorrow on one for my addition. I was also looking at less expensive models for the shop building.

Thanks to everyone's comments; such support and encouragement is one the many benefits of belonging to the forum.

Tom, the mini-split I got was an excess unit my local HVAC guy had. He tells me he gave me a great deal at $1,600 installed. I have no idea. He also said most all systems share the same basic internal components - again, I have no idea whether that is accurate or not. I do know that I have been VERY pleased with my system (and I live on the salt waters of west central Florida). Air Control is the label on the cover, and (surprise!) it's made in China.

Rick Mills
07-26-2008, 1:41 AM
I'm taking orders built to your desired lengths!! :D[/QUOTE]

I'll take one the same size as yours looks pretty good.

Jeff Wright
07-26-2008, 8:51 AM
I'll take one the same size as yours looks pretty good.

I sent you a Private email.

Jeff Wright
07-26-2008, 8:52 AM
Jeff shouldn't you have made three racks, not much room left for new tools! Great job..Bruce

Bruce, I have a couple more bare walls!!! :D

Doug Miller
07-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Hey Jeff, which issue of American Woodturner was that in?

Jeff Wright
07-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey Jeff, which issue of American Woodturner was that in?

March '08, page 15.

Doug Miller
07-26-2008, 11:52 AM
thanks for the information

Wilbur Pan
01-05-2009, 6:50 AM
Your turning tool rack looks really nice!

If you don't mind my asking, what's the diameter of the half-round holes, and what's the vertical distance between the top half-round hole cross-piece and the bottom half-round cross piece?

Jeff Wright
01-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Your turning tool rack looks really nice!

If you don't mind my asking, what's the diameter of the half-round holes, and what's the vertical distance between the top half-round hole cross-piece and the bottom half-round cross piece?

The overall length is 25 1/2 inches, 11 inch width, holes are 1.5 inches spaced about 5/16 inches from one hole's edge to the other, rack width is 3 1/8 inch, width of inclined tool rest is 4 1/2 inches, vertical support board just under the topped holed board is 2 1/8 wide, and the middle holed board is placed midway down the height of the rack.

Jim Ciesla
01-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Nice Rack. It looks like I'll need to buy more tools so I can build a rack like that. There goes the budget!

Mike Stephens
01-05-2009, 1:09 PM
Very nice Jeff. Ive been contemplating how I want to store my tools. Quick & easy access are what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting and giving me a nice visual.

Eddie Simmons
01-05-2009, 3:27 PM
What kind of wall heat pump unit are you using. I have a sanyo, and i have trouble keeping the filters clean. Think about put a exterior filter rack. Do not have a interior air filtration system in my shop.
Thanks
Eddie

Jeff Wright
01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
What kind of wall heat pump unit are you using. I have a sanyo, and i have trouble keeping the filters clean. Think about put a exterior filter rack. Do not have a interior air filtration system in my shop.
Thanks
Eddie

Eddie, I'm not sure if you're asking me, but if you are, the wall unit is a mini-split system. It is some off-brand foreign manufacturer. Same as a Sanyo or others I'm told; they all have the same guts or close to the same. It provides both heat and cooling. I have very little trouble keeping the filters clean, but I have both a large Oneida dust collection system with all machines hooked up, plus a JDS ceiling mounted air filtration system. I can go a couple months and only have a small residue of dust in the mini-splits filters.

Joshua Dinerstein
10-06-2009, 1:01 AM
Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for posting the pics and the dimensions to your took rack. I made two of them tonight. Well actually the first one took about 8 days as I was going slow and finding some of my wood working tools, but the second one took less than an hour tonight. Worked out well.

I can't believe how well actually. I started loading tools in the first one after I finished it and it lines them up so well and holds them beautifully. I wasn't sure I was going to build a second one until I got to that point then it was a must! to complete it. But as someone pointed out with yours almost full I loaded mine up and then discovered that I am pretty full. I just might have to make a 3rd one. :)

Next step in my projects list is to make something to attach them too. My walls are full so i am contemplating a rolling wall of sorts.

Thanks again for sharing such a great idea!

Joshua

Dan Forman
10-06-2009, 2:08 AM
Mine are both full now, so I need to make another one too. May use the extra scallop sections to make a traveling tool case.

Dan

Joshua Dinerstein
10-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Mine are both full now, so I need to make another one too. May use the extra scallop sections to make a traveling tool case.

Dan
Dan,

I was thinking about much the same thing. Only not travelling to far in my case. I was thinking about using a scalloped section to make a "lay down" tool rack to have right up close to the lathe. In doing so I could have the 5 or 6 I use the most often for each type of turning close at hand, then transfer them back to the big racks for longer term storage. Something like the included pic.

Having built something more complex this one seems like a breeze. :)

Joshua

Dan Forman
10-06-2009, 2:22 PM
I screwed up one of my scalloped sections and had to make another. I use the reject for that purpose on my jointer bed,which is quite handy to my lathe, to keep the tools from rolling off.

Dan

Mauricio Ulloa
10-06-2009, 5:15 PM
Really nice racks! I've been looking for easy-to-make and practical racks to hang all my gouges. Thanks for this nice idea!