PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
04-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Well....I am <B>SO GLAD!!!!!!!!</B> that this weekend is O V E R !!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nothing for me except for having my butt glued to a chair and being chained to a stupid computer for 60 hours this weekend that all began Friday morning at 8AM. Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting too old for this crap.!!!! :rolleyes:

PLEASE tell me "somebody" done some ww'ing this weekend!!!! :)

Best of weeks to you all.....

Soggy, wet and flooded in Arkansas...........

Mark Rios
04-26-2004, 12:19 AM
I was able to get two cutting boards worth of maple and walnut cut and one cutting board glued up. This was a lot of work. I'll post pics of the finished boards. Sorry your weekend wasn't too good for you.

Keith Starosta
04-26-2004, 7:52 AM
Mulch, mulch, and more mulch...

While it looks good when it's done, I think there is no other yardwork that I despice more than mulching flower beds. BUT...it's all done, LOML is happy, and now I can move on to other things, such as starting her redwood arbor. I'm looking forward to that one...

Keith

Jim Becker
04-26-2004, 8:29 AM
This weekend featured tractor maintenance including getting the mower deck ready for work through cleaning and blade sharpening, the "first cut of the season", getting the corn gluten meal down to control weeds and a bit of shopping/socializing with a whole family of Dr. SWMBO's friends from Bean-town. (Two Dr. SWMBOs in the house Thursday and Friday!) DVD of the week was House of Sand and Fog, a very intense story about some folks who are really screwed up.

Woodworking? Oh yea! A couple of spinny projects occupied shop time this weekend including a nice box elder platter and a maple burl southwestern-style hollow vessel. More about those will be posted when I manage to get the picture transfer software working again...Murphy's Law is causing me hassles with this process for some reason. I also got some moldings for the kitchen sprayed and ready to apply as much of this week's vacation time will be spent painting things that didn't get done prior to cold weather setting in.

Have a great week!

Russell Svenningsen
04-26-2004, 9:33 AM
I am a fairly new member, and I've only posted once in the Handtools forum, but I figured it was a good time to jump on in!

Finally the weather broke Saturday and a solid week of rain came to an end. It was a gorgeous day in Cincinnati! I spent the day in the shop(read:oversized one-car detached garage), working on my sons bed. Mission-style, solid ash. I realize ash is not the wood-of-choice for a Mission-style project, but the LOML adores it and I have to admit, I love working with it. I spent most of the time sanding, and sanding and.......sanding.

Some friends stopped by to see our newborn girl, Annika Jean(4/7-she's gorgeous and doing very well!). My wife, who is very tired due to late-night feedings(I am as well, but she bears the brunt of it), invited them outside to see the bed I'm working on. She says, "Russell designed it himself. It's called 'Missionary style'. " We had a good laugh. Remember now, she's tired. Poor thing.

At any rate, I hope to get the finish applied this week.

Best,
Russell

Tyler Howell
04-26-2004, 9:46 AM
Great Weekend. Shop make-over is coming great. The Phoenix shelves never rose up out of the ashes but the Rube Goldberg bench is making great progress. First coat of leftover paint went on at 5 this morning. French cleats all around, some of the cabinets and toyls are in place.

A little socializing with a charming Pilot/Land Baroness:cool:

Busy week ahead.

Have a good one and play safe.;)

Scott Coffelt
04-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Got a small amount of real shop time in, but did get Walnut accents and base attached to a Maple and Walnut night stand I have been slowly finishing. It just needs some good sanding and finish.

Got two child size Adirondack chairs completed and painted.

More yard work and also spent time playing with my son. He road his 12V four wheeler and bike (completely scared of them last year), played with is T-ball set and water guns.

Finally, watched the NASCAR race, pretty exciting, but boring finish.

Tyler Howell
04-26-2004, 10:55 AM
I am a fairly new member, and I've only posted once in the Handtools forum, but I figured it was a good time to jump on in!
Russ, If I haven't already.....(Great memory but It's really short) Welcome to the Creek. You can already see what a fine bunch of men and women you are dealing with. Congrats on the new baby daughter too. Little girls are very special;) . Is that a stealth gloat???
Enjoy every minate.

Rob Bourgeois
04-26-2004, 11:12 AM
With the arrival of my son ( born 4/16), most of my time has been spent entertaining guests. Sunday I put the mobile base on the bandsaw withthe help of my father in law. Hopefully I will finish painting the desk and book shelf for my daughter's room.

Anyway, back to the painting.

Ken Salisbury
04-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Gave The Old Rebel Workshop a facelift:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8860

Cut the front yard Sunday morning -- the rest of the day was a "chill out" day - thunderstorms and heavy rains kept me indoors watching NASCAR and baseball on the boob tube with some BL as a relaxer:D .

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Well - finally!
It's woodworking weather!
And I finally got to pull the table saw out of the garage and start some woodworking.
So Sunday - made the corner braces for the grandsons "play table" ----- The clouds opened up and rain came down in buckets on that nice derusted cast iron saw table. Rats-a-fratz.
Pushed the table saw back into the garage and sulked in my wet clothes.
One of these days the sun will come out and stay out.
Daniel :D

John Miliunas
04-26-2004, 12:17 PM
I managed to take out the Husqvarna lawn tractor on its maiden voyage (to me, anyhow) and found that it works quite well. Got most of the grass cut, except for the area way in back. Friday, I also got a very "special" and personal "gift" from LOML: Her cold! :mad: It pretty much did me in for the rest of the weekend, *including* today! :mad: Step-daughter & grand-kids were down for the wknd. and I got up enough muster to repair a couple chairs they were taking back with them, as well as load up their min-van with some "leftover" tools I had for their new house. :) Sunday morning, thought I felt good enough to get some more work done on my buddy's bass guitar. Got the new veneer on, trimmed and holes for the electronics located and routed. The "crud" took hold again at that point and it was all down-hill from there. :mad: Hope you all have a SUPER week! :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
04-26-2004, 12:45 PM
I took Friday off and went to the Live Free or Die tool auction up in Nashua. It was raining hard all day so there was almost no tailgate parking lot action and everyone decided to spend the day indoors at the auction itself. This meant higher than normal prices and I only bought one item, a Stanley #140 skew block plane. Not a gloatable price, but fair for the great condition it was in. At home I disassembled it Fri nite and decided it didn't need any cleaning at all, just a coat of pastewax. The blade was in good enuf shape I started sharpening at 400 grit.

Saturday AM I went back to Nashua for the tailgate session in sunshine and to check out the collector grade tools being auctioned. Too rich for my blood. Spent a grand total of $10 for a chisel and headed back home at noon.

The rest of the weekend was spent turning tulipwood marking knive handles and awl handles. I also started prepping stock for another batch of snakewood handles. I also got to listen to SWMBO complain about how bad her golf game is doing this year.

Matt Meiser
04-26-2004, 1:00 PM
Saturday I spent the whole day burning construction debris from my shop project and a lot of other wood debris the previous owner left. Also on Saturday, the previous owner came and got the last of his 3-point equipment and some other lawn equipment out of our barn (my shop) as negotiated when we bought the place so I now have the whole place to myself.

Sunday after church and grocery shopping I built a shelf/cabinet to go under my right extension table on my saw and officially unpacked the LAST box. I used melamine and I used the iron-on edgebanding for the first time ever.

Rob Littleton
04-26-2004, 1:30 PM
Well, after moving the shop down to the new house, and storing it til the shop is built, I find myself kinda lost without it. I have to live at the in laws til the kids are out of school so mid June, I will finally reloacte and set the shop up.

Went to Mr Padillas house Saturday to check out some stuff....neat entertainment cabinet and got to see the Burgess Bit in action. Kinda cool.

Sunday, went to my buddies house to turn some pens and get the fix of the lathe for the week........

Be aware, I could show up at YOUR house just to sniff some saw dust. Things are getting desperate and not sure how long I can hold out without driving to the new house to get a fix......:-(

Other than that, hung out the in laws and...........erm...............had fun..........

Jealous to hear about you guys that even did garden work. I can't even do that yet........

Anyways, safe working

Maurice Ungaro
04-26-2004, 1:59 PM
Well, I got married this weekend! Got the kneeling bench finished in time, and it looked/worked great. Photos to come, but in the meantime, you can check out our website http://www.mauriceandcarlotta.com

We leave for our honeymoon this Wednesday (New Orleans for Jazz Fest!!)

Maurice

Bart Sharp
04-26-2004, 4:11 PM
No woodworking, just plugging away on the house renovations. The inlaws were in town, so that ate up a little time. But I did manage to get about half of the ceramic tile backsplash up. When I get into projects like that it always amazes me that there are people out there who can do it fast enough to make a living. Oh, and I spent a couple of hours Saturday morning laying in the recliner with my three month old daughter sleeping on my chest. Nothing better in the world. :D

Byron Trantham
04-26-2004, 4:21 PM
Got all the pieces cut for the LOML wall and base cabinets for her sewing room. Man, melamine is sharp! :mad: Most of the edge banding is done and I drilled 650 holes for the shelf pins. Can you say "repeat, repeat, repeat?" :rolleyes: Went to the local dinner theater and saw West Side Story . We're a season ticket holder and we saw the last showing of the season and I figured it would be less than stellar. Hands down it was the best show of the season - great energy!

Tyler Howell
04-26-2004, 4:39 PM
With the arrival of my son ( born 4/16), most of my time has been spent entertaining guests. Sunday I put the mobile base on the bandsaw withthe help of my father in law. Hopefully I will finish painting the desk and book shelf for my daughter's room.

Anyway, back to the painting.Congrats to Rob too!;)

Maurice, marriage is a wonderful institution!
Don't they put crazy people in institutes:p :p

Chris Padilla
04-26-2004, 5:23 PM
Well, after Mr. Littleton left, I finally got to work on getting the pool ready for the summer. Cleaned up the solar cover and the winter cover (stowed it away after it dried). Did more hedge-trimming and moved a bunch of cobblestones from one side of the yard to the other. Got more hedges planted and did some ABOVE GROUND sprinkler adjusting/messing. I fixed the leak under the sink: Found the p-trap plastic "nut" had cracked but I kinda broke the drain in the investigation process and replaced the whole thing for a grand total of $10. This had to be the smoothest and eaisiest and cheapest plumbing fix to date for me. I'll take those all day long. Now this drain runs fast to boot! :)

Also watched Reign of Fire and 12 Monkeys from Netflix. Now Reign of Fire was a very cool story and I was impressed how little they focused on the dragons but quite an original script I thought. The ending was a bit abrupt but I enjoyed this flick quite a bit.

Fred Voorhees
04-26-2004, 7:17 PM
Finished up the concrete step that I needed to add to the back exterior of the former garage renovation Friday night and got all of the vinyl siding back up and "phew" that work and the hassle that it was is all over and done with now! I HATE building and taking down scaffolding. Saturday night was another night at the dirt track watching the big blocks and Sunday morning was when the scaffold was actually taken down. Sunday afternoon was, as usual, was spent watching the NASCAR race on television with the "racin' buds". Hopefully, within the next few weeks, some Sunday morning bass fishing floats down the Delaware River will be in order. :D

David Klug
04-26-2004, 7:56 PM
Tough tough weekend! Sat. morning I was out in the hot sun till about 11:30. Of course I did manage to land a couple of trout and my friends landed a couple along with a crappie. Sun. was church and just kicking back.

DK