PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection at the grinder

Phil St.Germain
07-23-2008, 7:57 PM
Folks,

We all know wood dust is not the healthiest thing for us. I can't imagine that grinding wheel dust and metal dust is any better.

How do you collect the duct from your grinder?

I thought about a designated shop vac, but the paper element and grinder sparks probably don't mix.

thanks,

Phil

Jim Becker
07-23-2008, 7:58 PM
You should not use a dust collector with a grinder that was not specifically designed for the purpose.

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2008, 9:02 PM
Phil - for what it's worth - I wear a Trend Air Shield while turning and when I step over to the grinder to sharpen the gouge I just keep the Trend in place. After I am done turning for the day I clean up the grinder area with the shop vac.

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Ditto what Steve does. I would not as Jim said use a dust collector or shop vac since both probably have wood shavings and dust in them. A spark well you know.

jason lambert
07-29-2008, 2:05 PM
I don't think the metal dust is staying airborn as much, anyhow using a dust collector is dangress because if a hot piece of metal got in there or a spark it would be bad. You could try adding a magnet somewere on the grinder to collect the shavings. I know this is what they do in pro kitchens with there sharpners to prevent shavings all over the place.