PDA

View Full Version : combination sanders

Chris McKimson
03-10-2003, 6:13 PM
I'm thinking of getting a 12"disk/6"X48" belt sander.
I see the benefits of being able to better
sneak up on miters
making circles
squaring edges

What else am I missing, and do many of you find the combination sander a valuable addition to your workshop?

Thanks,
Chris

John Miliunas
03-10-2003, 6:26 PM
Glad you asked this one, Chris. Kinda' wondering that myself. I don't yet have one, either and have been considering the purchase of same. I ran into another WW who has the 6x48, but only with the 9" disc. He said that they used one at work with the 12" disc and it's so much nicer. On the flip side, the cost of the 12" over the 9" seems to be substantial. I've considered the 6x48 w/9" and then getting a seperate 12" disc sander. Between the two, still a significant savings over the single, larger combo unit. Wonder if anyone has suggestions on that train of thought, as well? :cool:

Halsey MCCombs
03-10-2003, 6:54 PM
I have the 12in disc sander only and like it very much all I had before was a 5 inch which is way to small. Halsey

Dr. Zack Jennings
03-10-2003, 7:02 PM
I got a combination 5" Disk and 3X24" stationary belt sander at Sears.... dirt cheap on sale. (I think $89) I use it a lot. I'm planning on getting the Griz G0512 6"X80" Edge Sander. I believe it will do everything I was doin' on the Craftsman. I think I will put a fine grit on the small one and find lots of uses.

A friend of mine said Disc Sanders are almost useless and dangerous. Not sure why but I trust this fella's judgement.

Changing belts is a pain so having a dedicated sander with a fine grit might make sense.

Grizzly G0512 Sander (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0512&site=grizzly)

Jonathan Patrick
03-10-2003, 7:17 PM
I have the 6 x 48/12 from woodworkers supply. Got it last year for Christmas from my wife. I love it. You can do all the things you mentioned plus more, more, more. I have several jigs made for mine that allow me to do such things as scarf joints for inlays, squaring, and other things. It is a great addition to my shop no doubt. Could I live without it? Yes. But once you have one and find out what all can be done with it, you won't want to be without it.

Jonathan:D

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-10-2003, 7:17 PM
If you'll be using primarily the disc, consider the Delta 12" benchtop...it's a good unit for a reasonable price. If you really need the belt and a 12" disc, you may be looking at some big dollars. If that's the case, I'd recommend you look at an edge sander instead. You'll be <i>much</i> happier with the results if you're trying to sand a straight edge, and you get the 'round' part of the belt at one end, too.

I've got the Delta 12", but I'll use the edge sander instead if at all possible.

KC

GEDunton
03-11-2003, 7:24 PM
Have a disc/belt sander. Been in the shop for 4-5 years. I think its a 9" disc, do know that it is 6x48 belt. Also have a 12" dics sander that was given to me. Can't recall every using the disc unit on either. There must be a use as I see them all the time, but for what I do, the disc is not an addition.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-11-2003, 7:48 PM
I use my combo sander all the time, I think its got a 4X36 belt. I have used the disk to sand miters on small pieces and stuff like that, but its definitely the belt that gets used the most.