PDA

View Full Version : The computer woes continue....

Jim O'Dell
07-23-2008, 7:34 PM
At least this time it is one of the old Win 98SE units. It uses the same mother board my computer has (A-Open AX6BC) and a PIII 450 processor. I don't know if the sound card died (Sound Blaster Live! Value, 24 bit) or what. I can get the computer to see the card, but the software will not load drivers. I downloaded the latest that Creative shows for it, but they too will not load. I tried the ones in the Win 98 program for that card, but still nothing. I wouldn't bother, but LOML (now you understand:rolleyes:) wants it for her music studio. She has some old music education programs that won't run on Win 2k or XP Home.
Any ideas? She won't be running speakers, just headphones. Thanks!! Jim.

mark page
07-23-2008, 9:48 PM
Jim,
Can you adjust the compatability mode to emulate her programs for win98 with xp or 2k. This has saved me several times during upgrades.

Darren Null
07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Can you adjust the compatability mode to emulate her programs for win98 with xp or 2k. This has saved me several times during upgrades.
Just to expand a little, you can run older programs in XP (and possibly 2K) by right-clicking on a shortcut icon and selecting:
Properties --> Compatibility --> Compatibility Mode (check box to activate and select "Run as WinWhatever" in the dropdown box.
It's saved my bacon a couple of times too.

Jim O'Dell
07-23-2008, 10:52 PM
I've never heard of this...You click on a shortcut icon. Now is that one that I see on the desk top from when the program loads? Or is this a short cut I create? I just tried on my 2K computer and right clicking a desktop icon doesn't show anything about compatibility in the drop down. Is this only when it is a program not designed to work on 2K or XP? Educate me some more!!! Please! :D Jim.

mark page
07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Jim,
Try this. Do not "auto load" the program. Open up "my Computer" and select your cd drive. "open" your cd drive and right click on your program "install exe" or "setup.exe" file. Select "properties" and it should have a "compatibilities" tab to select. Then select like win98 compatibility and then load the program.
If any questions or problems, pm me and I'll give you my phone number to call and we'll see if we can get past this.
Talk later,
Mark

Neal Clayton
07-23-2008, 11:40 PM
compatibility mode is only for 98/95 programs running on NT kernels (2000, XP, Vista), he has 98 already.

are you sure you downloaded the win98 version of the drivers? i don't know if creative distributes those anymore...

here's an alternate download location...

http://www.download.com/Creative-Labs-Sound-Blaster-Live-Live-Value-Driver-Windows-95-98-/3000-2120_4-10022925.html

Darren Null
07-24-2008, 12:45 AM
I've never heard of this...You click on a shortcut icon.
No. You *RIGHT*-click on a shortcut icon. Then select 'properties'. etc

Works in XP, even for destop icons. You then select compatibility for Win95, Win98, Win NT4, Win2000.

I don't know how you get to it in Win2K, but it's probably there.

David Sallee
07-24-2008, 1:47 AM
....I can get the computer to see the card, but the software will not load drivers. I downloaded the latest that Creative shows for it, but they too will not load. ....

Hey Jim,

When you say "will not load" do you mean the driver itself will not finish loading (error, freeze up or blue screen)?? OR do you mean after you install the driver you still have no sound?

IF it's the later, have you tried a different pair of speakers/headphones? ALSO if this is the case, check to make sure your sound is not muted in the sound properties. (double click on the speaker in the lower right by your clock)

Dave

Jim O'Dell
07-24-2008, 9:58 PM
No. You *RIGHT*-click on a shortcut icon. Then select 'properties'. etc

Works in XP, even for destop icons. You then select compatibility for Win95, Win98, Win NT4, Win2000.

I don't know how you get to it in Win2K, but it's probably there.

I should have said right click...sorry. I did understand that. I didn't have any luck in 2K, but I see how to do it in XP. THANKS!! Already shown LOML. She thinks it will be great. Even has the option to change to 256 colors it needs to be in to work best. And am I right, that it changes the color settings just while that program is running? That's what it looks like.

Jim,
Try this. Do not "auto load" the program. Open up "my Computer" and select your cd drive. "open" your cd drive and right click on your program "install exe" or "setup.exe" file. Select "properties" and it should have a "compatibilities" tab to select. Then select like win98 compatibility and then load the program.
If any questions or problems, pm me and I'll give you my phone number to call and we'll see if we can get past this.
Talk later,
Mark

Mark, I'll try that this evening. Thanks for the offer. If I continue to have trouble, I may take you up on your offer!!

compatibility mode is only for 98/95 programs running on NT kernels (2000, XP, Vista), he has 98 already.

are you sure you downloaded the win98 version of the drivers? i don't know if creative distributes those anymore...

here's an alternate download location...

http://www.download.com/Creative-Labs-Sound-Blaster-Live-Live-Value-Driver-Windows-95-98-/3000-2120_4-10022925.html

You are right. I have 4 machines in the house. LOML's studio computer is an XP Home, my computer, and one slated for the shop both run 2K, and I was trying to make her old computer run 98 for these programs. I have the 98 software disc that came with the Sound Blaster card. At this point, it won't even run the Creative Play Center. It pulls up an error pop up that says it could not find the necessary hardware or drivers to execute properly, and to make sure that both are set up correctly. Down loading the updated software and drivers from the Creative site, which I used before, will down load to the computer, but don't appear to properly load the program. The interface on the screen looked totally different when I down loaded them before, IIRC. And I may not be. Your link is what I've been using.

Hey Jim,

When you say "will not load" do you mean the driver itself will not finish loading (error, freeze up or blue screen)?? OR do you mean after you install the driver you still have no sound?

IF it's the later, have you tried a different pair of speakers/headphones? ALSO if this is the case, check to make sure your sound is not muted in the sound properties. (double click on the speaker in the lower right by your clock)

Dave

Dave, it shows 2 small pop up screens briefly showing it is loading, one of them has a bar graph. Then they disappear and nothing happens. It never actually goes to the screen where you have to accept the liscense, and then load the program to the location of your choice. And running the hardware installer after that shows that the card still needs drivers. My next step is to find the compatibility set up for 2K, and load 2K on it, then use the software disc for my newer SB card that is for 2K and NT. Maybe that will work. Or put the card from my computer in it if need be. I rarely use sound on my computer anyway. (But, my Boston Acoustic speakers sound pretty good! She won't get them!!:eek: )

Guys, thanks for your help. I really appreciate your time. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
07-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Mark, I just tried to load the program your way. It doesn't show that information under properties on the setup.exe in Win 2K. Are your instructions for XP?
I'm going to try the sound card on my computer with the 2K drivers next to see what that does. I'll be back later...probably tomorrow night. Thanks again! Jim.

David DeCristoforo
07-24-2008, 10:27 PM
AFAIRC, compatibility mode is not enabled "by default" in W2k. Here's how to "turn it on":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279792

Neal Clayton
07-25-2008, 10:45 AM
long shot, but which PCI slot did you put the sound card in?

98 doesn't share IRQs very nicely, not nearly as well as NT kernels do. the first slot (closest to the top or closest to the video card) is no good since it shares with the video card.

Jim O'Dell
07-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Neal, as true as that is, it is the slot I got the best results with!! :confused: Still didn't work, but...
I've tried all the others as I've gone, as I loaded and unloaded things to get it to see the "new" hardware.

David, thanks for the site. I'll look at that tomorrow. I've been messing with the computer all evening. I found what I think is the right program update. I've got it loaded, but wanted to check the forum before I went to bed. I'm late, and I have to work tomorrow morning. :(
Thanks again all!! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
07-26-2008, 6:21 PM
David, I found your link very helpful. I haven't down loaded the service packs on that computer. I tried it on mine, but got the same thing, can't find that library. Now on my computer, I only loaded service pack 4. Do I need 1 through 3 for this to work? Thanks so much for the ideas. I might bring her computer back in here and hook it up and down load 1 through 4 packs, and try it again. I hadn't worried about it because that computer won't be on line. Jim.

David DeCristoforo
07-26-2008, 6:31 PM
SP4 should be "inclusive" but I can't tell you for certain. I am more familiar with Macs and all Mac OS updates are inclusive so you only need to install the most recent one.

Jim O'Dell
07-26-2008, 7:33 PM
I understood the same thing from what I've read. I'm going back to your link now, because I've got sp4 loaded, but still not getting the library to pull up. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
07-26-2008, 7:45 PM
Nope, still won't open the library. I may be typing the command wrong, but I've tried several different versions with no luck. I emailed them, but doubt that I'll hear back. Thanks again for the help and ideas! Jim.

David DeCristoforo
07-26-2008, 10:17 PM
You may have some registry issues (one of the reasons I like Macs...no registry!) If you "google" "slayerui.dll" you will find a number of repair links...

Chuck Wintle
07-27-2008, 6:26 AM
I understood the same thing from what I've read. I'm going back to your link now, because I've got sp4 loaded, but still not getting the library to pull up. Jim.

one thing I could suggest if you plan to reload win2k is to slipstream sp4 to win2k to create a new disk. It becomes much faster then to reload the OS since the latest service pack is incorporated. If you google how to slipstream service packs you will find lots of information on the subject.