PDA

View Full Version : OF 1400 and Guide Rail - Setting depth for dado

Charles Wilson
07-23-2008, 6:39 PM
Can someone throw me a bone as to how to set the depth for a dado using the guide rail?

Pics and/or video are even better.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chris Rosenberger
07-23-2008, 7:25 PM
You would set the bit below the router the thickness of the rail plus the depth of the dado you are going to cut. There is a T shaped piece that mounts on the edge of the router that extends over the rail. This part is used to support that edge of the router.
Here is a link to a review of the 1400 router. It has a picture of the router setup with the rail.

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/OF1400_review_ar.pdf

Rick Christopherson
07-23-2008, 9:29 PM
It is all explained in the supplemental manual, including pictures.

http://www.waterfront-woods.com/festool/OF1400_manual_usa.pdf

Rob Blaustein
07-23-2008, 9:48 PM
Chuck,
I would read Rick Christopherson's excellent manual--it explains how to do this a few different ways. I would also follow the advice given to you earlier today by Daviddubya on the Festool Owners Group site and check out the post that he refers to. There is additional discussion on that site that may come in handy--you can find it if you search for a thread entitled "Problems with depth of cut with OF1400..." It isn't all that complicated but you just need to try making some cuts if you haven't yet. It's much easier to understand once you've done that.
--Rob

Dave Falkenstein
07-24-2008, 6:41 PM
Place the material to be routed under the guide rail. Mount the OF1400 on the guide rail, with the outrigger foot in place to hold the router level. Use the centerline mark on the router body to locate the cutter at the center of the dado. Unlock the plunge rod. Plunge the router until the bit hits the surface of the material. Using a gauge block the thickness of the depth of the dado, raise the plunge rod and insert the gauge block between the plunge stop and the plunge rod. The plunge rod is now set to the depth of the dado cut. Lock the plunge rod. Cut the dado.