PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0513X2 Bandsaw - Castor question

Jerry Kim
07-23-2008, 4:37 PM
Hello all. I just took delivery of a grizzly 17 inch band saw.

I was just wondering, is there any reason why I can't just bolt some castors on the corners of the bandsaw base, where holes already exist for bolting them onto the pallet? Will the metal base slowly deform over time if they are not supported on a mobile base?

Joe Meazle
07-23-2008, 8:37 PM
I don't know myself but I sure an curious as to what folks have to say about this.

Russ Massery
07-23-2008, 10:09 PM
I used 2" square tubing under the opening. then drilled a hole though to attach the casters. I used these http://www.greatlakescaster.com/products.php?cat=262
Love the saw I'm sure you will too! Congrats on the new saw.

Jerry Kim
07-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I used 2" square tubing under the opening. then drilled a hole though to attach the casters. I used these http://www.greatlakescaster.com/products.php?cat=262
Love the saw I'm sure you will too! Congrats on the new saw.

Do you have the same or similar bandsaw?

I remember seeing a post of someone who bolted the same great lakes casters on their grizzly combo jointer/planer. The only difference is that the jointer/planer has legs, while the bandsaw is a flat base.

glenn bradley
07-23-2008, 10:48 PM
I would feel comfortable doing that is the floor where it sits is very level or at least parallel between sets of rollers. If it is off on an angle I could see the weight being a problem for the cabinet.

P.s. I have the G0513X on a Shop Fox base which is so-so but, I rarely move it. I use the base more for leveling the machine.

Gary McKown
07-24-2008, 10:25 AM
...without some frame-type support (angle iron, box tubing, maybe even a plywood base) between the base and casters. Those holes are just for lag bolts to keep the base attached to the pallet, and I think the sheet metal would not withstand the weight if casters are bolted on directly.

I put the G0513X2 on a Shopfox with a 1" plywood platform inserted, lag bolts into the plywood, which makes it sturdy and also raises the table to a more comfortable height.

Chris Ricker
07-24-2008, 1:10 PM
Bret Leishman had a great review of the Great Lakes Casters he used on his band saw and J/P combo here,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87130

I have mine ordered as we speak.:)

Jerry Kim
07-24-2008, 1:23 PM
...without some frame-type support (angle iron, box tubing, maybe even a plywood base) between the base and casters. Those holes are just for lag bolts to keep the base attached to the pallet, and I think the sheet metal would not withstand the weight if casters are bolted on directly.

I put the G0513X2 on a Shopfox with a 1" plywood platform inserted, lag bolts into the plywood, which makes it sturdy and also raises the table to a more comfortable height.

The base does have angle iron support. Perhaps I will take a picture later and post it.

Rick Christopherson
07-24-2008, 1:58 PM
Structurally there shouldn't be a problem with bolting casters right to the base. This is in the corner of a flanged deck, so the sheetmetal will have the strength.

What I would be more cautious about is stability, in a couple of different aspects. First off, you are moving the contact points inward by a couple of inches on each side, which is effectively making the base footprint that much smaller. Secondly, with permanent casters, the saw will not be as rigid when you are using it.

I put a Vega mobile base under my GO513x, plus the shaper, jointer, and a custom 6 foot long base made to fit my Oliver lathe. These bases are not the most convenient for moving, but I went with this style for its stability when stationary. When parked, there are no wheels in contact with the ground, and the tool rests solidly on a steel base.

Peter Quadarella
07-24-2008, 5:59 PM
The Great Lakes casters have levelling feet that basically become regular stands instead of wheels, so the stability issue is not as big. They are nice casters - I have a set but never got around to figuring out how to put them on my G0513X2 because I've never had to move it. And if I do, I suppose I can just use my hand truck.

Good luck with the bandsaw, I love mine.

Russ Massery
07-25-2008, 3:42 AM
yes I have a G0513X.

Dave Lehnert
10-01-2008, 3:33 PM
How do the built in stabilizer leg on the Great Lakes casters work? In other words, how do you put them up and down?

Peter Quadarella
10-01-2008, 4:04 PM
There is a wheel you turn on the side of the caster that brings the foot down.

Dave Avery
10-01-2008, 5:01 PM
I have the 513X2 with the GLC casters bolted directly to the holes. No deforation after a couple of months. No stability issues either but, to be fair, I haven't tried to put anything heavy across the table. Great saw - particularly for the money - by the way.....

Bret Leishman
10-01-2008, 7:20 PM
Have posted in the past about how I used the Great Lakes Casters on my 17" G0636X Grizzly bandsaw and on my Grizzly 12" J/P. Think of these as stabilizers with the benefit of low center of gravity casters (full swivel). These worked beautifully as I am just finishing rearranging my shop to make room for new Stubby lathe and addition of cyclone dust control. Against advice of some here, I will be putting Great Lakes Casters on my lathe. The large pads will make my lathe more stable and less likely to "walk" and mobility will be a bonus. No need to shim legs or worry about raking the cast iron bed casting by bolting to cement floor. Will post pictures of my lathe install when done. My bandsaw had enclosed bottom so was able to use existing bolt holes with no problem. If bolting to single thickness of iron or if corner does not seem strong enough, probably good idea to use previous suggestions to reinforce. I am pretty much sold on these casters as I now have 10 sets of them installed or to be soon installed on my machines and work benches. David if your still out there I am working towards a time to build some "shoes" as promised. Warning, following upcoming lathe gloat will be one involving the words mig and plasma.