PDA

View Full Version : Help Me identify This Lathe

Larry Stephens
07-23-2008, 3:38 PM
If anyone can identify this lathe it would be appericated.

I have a chance to buy it for 100.00 with a 6 inch face plate and a few turning tools.

Owner say's it was a old school woodshop lathe.

thanks for any info.

Ron Ainge
07-23-2008, 4:26 PM
Larry

I cannot tell for sure but a lot of old iron that the schools in this area have that they are selling are Delta lathes. If you could get some better pictures of the lathe especially the head stock someone on here can tell you what it is. Anyway most of the time old iron is good iron. I turned on an old lathe I bought at a school auction for over four years before I got my new Powermatic.

Larry Stephens
07-23-2008, 7:21 PM
I am going to look at it tommorrow.

I gues I will find out when I look, It has been painted a few times.

But nothing is broken and it comes with a extra motor also.

should be worth 100.00

curtis rosche
07-23-2008, 7:54 PM
that is either a old delta or an old craftsman, it should say somewhere on the lathe. if you want to know for sure, go to www.owwm.org (http://www.owwm.org) and post it on the shop section, you will probably not only end up with the maker, but the manual and what year it was made.

Jon Lanier
07-23-2008, 9:20 PM
I'd say, Rockwell/Delta.:confused:

Gary DeWitt
07-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Looks like Delta gray, but there's really no telling from just that.
Check the spindle thread and diameter, and the tool post diameter, as well as the MT in the headstock and tailstock, just so you know if you can use current accessories. Also check the usual stuff, like bearing play and headstock/tailstock allignment. You might just have a good deal there.

Wilbur Pan
07-25-2008, 6:58 AM
The headstock and tailstock don't match any Rockwell, Delta, or Craftsman profile that I know of. One place to look is on www.owwm.com, where a lot of people have posted pictures of old woodworking machines, including lathes, but I was curious and went through the photo library there, and didn't find a match.