PDA

View Full Version : Oneida upgrade to external filter completed!

David Brown
04-25-2004, 9:40 PM
Hi, I have an older 1.5 Hp, I HATED cleaning the internal filter, performance suffered. I spent the 200.00 or so and did the upgrade, Looks impressive, far more surface area, appear well thought out ands appears to SUCK more(good thing), Time will tell, take care, Dave

Todd Burch
04-25-2004, 10:22 PM
David, good for you! I have the same Oneida you do, although my new 5.5 HP Felder collector will be delivered this next week. I've used my cyclone for about 18 months, and generally, I've been happy with it. It is undersized for my shop, and my runs are long, but it still has proven useful. I still have the internal filter. It's not so much a problem for planing and jointing and even tablesawing, but the wide belt sander really clogs it up fast, but better the filter than my lungs. I would not have a shop without a dust collector again.

How about a picture of the new setup? What type of pipe are you using? What machines are you hooked up to? Which blast gates? (Inquiring minds...!)

Jim Becker
04-25-2004, 11:54 PM
The external filter can add up to 20% better performance...good move.

Terry Quiram
04-26-2004, 7:16 AM
I got mine connected (except a couple of blast gates) and running this weekend. I ordered the 2 hp commercial. When the system arrived there was a statement that said the 2 hp motors were not available and they have sent a 3 hp instead.

Terry

Jim Becker
04-26-2004, 8:18 AM
When the system arrived there was a statement that said the 2 hp motors were not available and they have sent a 3 hp instead.
I hope you played the lottery that week, too... :D Nice score!

Scott Coffelt
04-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Not too shappy.

Tyler Howell
04-26-2004, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=Terry Quiram]I got mine connected (except a couple of blast gates) and running this weekend. I ordered the 2 hp commercial. When the system arrived there was a statement that said the 2 hp motors were not available and they have sent a 3 hp instead.

He Shoots and Scores!!!

Bob Powers
04-26-2004, 7:34 PM
I am most reticent to post this message, but sometimes we must take the bull by the horns.
I have an elderly Oneida 1.5 HP system, purchased in 1995 as I recall. I have read about the external filter upgrade, and would like to buy it if it's compatible with my system. I have some doubts about compatibility, but if it isn't compatible, I understand. The system works well, and I have recommended it to numerous people. Oneida has sent people to me for my recommendation.
I called Oneida about a month ago, and when attempting to discuss the compatibility issue, quickly learned that the woman to whom I was speaking and I weren't on the same wave length, and I believe she came to the same conclusion. She said she would have somebody from engineering call me. No call to this day. I called back a few days later. No return call. I went to their website and looked up their FAX number and sent a FAX. No return FAX. I sent an e-mail a few days ago. No return e-mail. Any thoughts out there? All I want to do is to spend some money.

Chris Padilla
04-26-2004, 8:46 PM
Terry,

Nice score buuuuuttttt HP isn't really the name of the game for DC. Impeller size is really what counts. See, your RPMs haven't change just because you have another 746 Watts available so don't expect to have any significant gains over someone who got a 2 HP motor. :) Don't mean to bring you down...still a nice score if you do upgrade to a bigger impeller, you will be ahead for sure with the more powerful motor. :D

Jim Becker
04-26-2004, 8:50 PM
Any thoughts out there? All I want to do is to spend some money.
Call and ask for Rich Benedetto or Steve Menke. Both can help you with your compatibility question, etc.

Bob Powers
04-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Jim,
Thanks for the suggestion. My problem is that when I call, I get an answering machine and nobody returns the call, Same for email and FAX. I have no idea what the problem is. I have always had nothing but the highest respect for Oneida, but am puzzled.

Jim Becker
04-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Rich's direct contact information is 800.732.4065 x119

Bob Powers
04-27-2004, 4:46 PM
Thanks to your suggestion that I call Rich Benedetto, I now have the information I need. Should I run all my communications with suppliers through you in the future?

Regards,

Bob

Jim Becker
04-27-2004, 4:54 PM
Should I run all my communications with suppliers through you in the future?
Heck, no. But asking at SMC is a good way to get contacts at various vendors--it's likely that one or more folks have experience with and know "reliable" people at lots of places. Oneida just happens to be a vendor that I know a bunch of folks through buying two systems as well as some other interaction. I'm glad that Rich was able to help you out and I also hope you 'splained the problems you had previously with getting a response. No excuse for that, IMHO.

Bob Powers
04-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks again to Jim Becker and his help in connecting me with the right person at Oneida. Isn't it strange though that it took me over a month of phone calls, FAX and e-mail to get somebody to sell me something. I had a phone call from Rich Benedetto this morning and placed the order.
I really don't like to use a public forum to bring this sort of thing to people's attention, but sometimes ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do.