PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new Pick-Up..opinions wanted.

Tim Morton
04-25-2004, 6:00 PM
I have decided owning a Saab is not for me any longer. I bought it used about 8 months ago and have had 3 repair bills over $500. I am looking for a 2004 1/2 ton or smaller and it will be a daily driver, under 25miles a day so gas milage is not a huge factor. I would like to be able to throw 4x8's in some how but that is not a major concern either. I want a confortable ride and at least an extended cab...possibly a crew. Price is definately a factor, and a good deal on any of them will make the sale. Saw a GMC sierra in maine this weekend for under 19k for 4wd ext cab, but I didn't have my car to trade. Currently looking at Chevy/GMC nissan, toyota and Ford.

Ken Garlock
04-25-2004, 6:20 PM
Hi Tim. Folks down there buy Fords, the best selling truck in Texas, and the country for that matter. My F-150 is a 95 with 65K miles that I bought from a retired doctor. It is a good truck, IMO, and I expect to have it for quite a while. The fellow who built my house traded an F-350 diesel for another F-350 diesel, he wouldn't have anything else. My neighbors in all directions drive Ford pick-ups.

Shucks, I wouldn't be surprised if George W. didn't drive a Ford ;)

Tim Morton
04-25-2004, 6:28 PM
If it good enough for GW...then it is good enough foe me!!! ;) It is on my list!!! Thanks for the review.

Anthony Yakonick
04-25-2004, 6:38 PM
One isn't any better than the other, pick what you like and the options you want. After thirty years in auto repair and twenty years repairing Fords I have found that in the end, they're all junk :D .

Tim Morton
04-25-2004, 6:52 PM
My wife just basically had to throw her 2001 explorer away after only 80k when the plastic oil pump gear sheered off inside the engine...so i would have to verify that the engine is much improved in the 04 150 vs 01 explorer. BTW...I thought I posted this topic in the OT section, so move it if you want. Sorry.

Jim Becker
04-25-2004, 6:58 PM
The Ford is nice...but I bought the Tundra as it felt more comfortable to me. The "new" F150 is improved in that respect and considerably safer than previous versions, however, and I'd look at it again should I even buy another truck. 'Keepin' the Tundra for as long as it runs at this point and I only have 36K miles on it so far after 3 1/2 years.

Dan Mages
04-25-2004, 7:04 PM
If you can find a bit more money, I would say go for a base Dodge Ram with a HEMI. I checked out Dodge's website, and you can get a Quad Cab Dodge Ram ST with the HEMI option and the Mercedes sourced 5 speed audo and no other options for 24K. That HEMI is really nice!! It will give you a ton of power and reliability. And it is very easy to have those giddy moments of adolescent fun and do a smokey burnout (been there, done that!!).

Good luck on your search.

Dan

John Christiansen
04-25-2004, 7:12 PM
I'm with Anthony on this. No one manufacturer is building a truck any better, or with any more tech advances than any other manufacturer.

Pick what fits your taste and wallet. Then enjoy.

Tim Morton
04-25-2004, 7:22 PM
Yes i did not mean to leave out Dodge, but I think the ram is a bit bigger than i need...the dakota would be fine however. Cost wise they all pretty much lit for around 25k...and I would like to find a deal to bring the cost down to somewhere near the 19k mark...I should be able to get 12ish for my Saab. The rest I will roll into my house loan so as to get the tax deduction, unless I can get into a 0% finance.

Steve Clardy
04-25-2004, 8:36 PM
Well, I'm a ford fan. Have been since 73.
Went the chevy bit when I was younger, and was always working on them.
I finally figured out that if you want to race, buy a chevy.
But if you want to get to work so you can afford to race, buy a ford for your daily driver. Ok, I'm outa here. Steve

John Miliunas
04-25-2004, 8:56 PM
My own wallet could only afford a used Chev S-10 and it's OK. BUT, if I had the $$, I think I'd go with Tojo, probably the Tundra. I know three guys who have one (including our own Tyler!) and they've all been very happy with them, including the ride characteristics. One of my best buddies at work has one, his dad has one and his dad's previous truck was a Tojo, as well. They have a heckuva' drivetrain and I believe they've even improved the body, so that they last as long as the drivetrain. :cool:

Tony Falotico
04-25-2004, 10:00 PM
I have decided owning a Saab is not for me any longer.

Yo Tim, there was a day (back in the 60's and early 70's all I drove was SAAB. My first one was the 3 banger, 2 cycle, you had to add oil to the gas when you filled up. My next was the Monte Carlo version ('67 maybe?) that had three one barrel solex's, one feeding each cylinder. Wasn't a bug, datsun, Toyo, MG, or Austin on the road that could catch me (Ford Vic's with blue lights could!). The only problem was the engine would turn both ways, so if it was damp out when it idled in neutral once in a while you would get a spark jump across the coil and that dog would change direction. Three speed reverse, one speed forward!

My next was the V-4 made by Ford in Belgium I believe. That was one strong engine. Then I got fancy and traded for the SAAB 99, (99 was the emblem, not the year). That was one fine car in it's time. Back then, SAAB's were cheap vehicles, very easy to work on. Parts were OK as a friend of the family was a dealer and I had ready access to parts.

Would love to have one of the old three banger mouse models, haven't seen one in way over ten years. My Monte Carlo used to get 40 to 45 mpg. The three bangers where finally banned in the US by EPA.

Sorry for rambling guys, but thanks so very much Tim for the stroll down memory lane.

BTW, LOML & I honeymooned to Key West in that Monte Carlo version going on 34 years ago.

Dan Mages
04-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Do you plan on hauling more than just 2x4s in your truck? What else do you plan on using it for?

Dan

Tim Morton
04-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Hopefully soon, it will haul a nice new 6" jointer home :) But its main hauling duties will include lumber for me, and mulch, dirt and plants for the wife, plus on weekends a kayak or 2. Also, day trips for antiques on occasion. Thats why i am including the smaller trucks like the Chevy Colorado or Toyota Tacoma in the mix to keep the cost down. Buying new because after the saab I want a warranty, but will look at very new used cars as well.

Randy Moore
04-26-2004, 8:36 AM
I have had Ford Rangers. I had a '90 that I put 250,000 with no problems, change the oil and do the reccemended sevice. Then in '95 I bought Dodge Ram and put 240,000 on it, had tranny problems. Bought a used 2000 Ford Ranger had 10,000 miles on it and I turned 110,000 last week. Takes a beating and keeps moving.

Love my Fords.
Randy

Joseph Ezerskis
04-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi,
I've got the 2001 Taco, with the xtra-cab and V-6, 4x4, and automatic. It's got a 6-foot bed, 8 if you drop the gate. I keep some sand bags in the back during the winter months so the rear-end won't break free on ice & snow. Rider and more specifically "PASSENGER" comfort is important. You really can't squeeze a 16-yr. old teen in the back of one of those. At the time I bought it, we also had a family cruiser, so I didn't think passenger comfort was going to be an issue until we lost the cruiser. I use it primarily for the same reasons you want to. I've hauled limestone gravel, dirt, lumber, bricks, furnishings, etc...I'm going to get one of the bumper stickers that say..."yes, this my truck. No, I will not help you move!"
The truck comes "lifted" if you get the 4x4. So right off the bat it's pretty impressive. I bought it new, so once I had the few warranty issues ironed out, the truck has been **knock on wood** a deam to own. After 3+ years, the fit & trim are still great. It's really put together well. I get 18city/24highway. I'll probably hang on to it for 5 or more years. The less time I have to spend working on my vehicle, the more time I can spend on my WW addiction.

Joe
-Former Ford/Chevy owner _

Tyler Howell
04-26-2004, 11:17 AM
$.02 Worth. The absolute best (You've heard this before) vehicle I've ever owned is the Toyota Tundra. Owned Inports & domestics. If the the Tacoma is anything like the big brother, it's a keeper too. Heard nothing but good from Tacoma owners. Interesting note, low mile F-150s and Rangers "litter the Want-Adds of the local papers.

PS. there were no warrentee issues with nine. It has been just great. As a matter of fact I've been looking at the Crew Cab model!

Mark Singer
04-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Tundra w/ full bed!

Jim Becker
04-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Tundra w/ full bed!
The only problem with buying the Tundra with the 8' bed is that it only seats three...if you get the bench seat. That version is generally sold as a work truck in most cases. The Access-Cab and Double-Cab models only are available with the 6.5' bed (unless something has changed). But frankly, I've never regretted that as it's longer than some "other" trucks provide when you have a real rear seat and with the gate down, you have adequate support for 10' lumber "no problem". I also have a device that connects into the hitch that provides support for up to 14' material. I don't use that very often, usually when I move lumber from my drying pile to the shop, although I used it when I bought that nice cherry through Alan recently.

JayStPeter
04-26-2004, 2:05 PM
Welcome to the club of sweish car haters. My wife had a ovloV for a couple of years. Cost me more and was in the shop more than all my other cars combined (and I've owned some junkers).

I have had Fords exclusively since '86. My current is a '98 F150 w/89K miles. It's been very good. The only bad thing I can say is that many Ford delers have dreadful service departments. I think the way of the world now is if the computer doesn't say it's a problem, they can no longer find it. Some minor problems took me a lot of effort to get fixed. Not to mention the mistakes that led to more problems. If it wasn't for the dealers, I would have 1 set of brakes, 1 mass air sensor, and 1 tie rod.

Back in '97 (when I ordered my '98) there was no competition because Ford had the only back doors to the extended cabs. Recently rode in a Chevy that had a nicer ex cab rear seat. But, that's not saying much. The new Fords are supposed to be better as well, but I haven't sat in one yet.

Jay St. Peter
(in search of a decent mechanic)

Rob Russell
04-26-2004, 3:46 PM
I bought a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab last year. Sizewise, it's basically the same length as the Ford/GM Extended cab pickup. The biggest advantages of the Dodge are 1) rear doors that swing like normal doors make it much easier at the store to put something in the back seat and 2) the optional flat load bed in the rear seat.

Here's a link to a thread w/pic.

Previous thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4620).

A neighbor of mine has a Dakota Quad Cab and wishes he'd gone for the larger 1500 based on interior room with the kids.

Rob

Tim Morton
04-26-2004, 7:13 PM
First days impresions...( no shocker here folks)..but I got huge sticker shock and remembered that car salesman are overbearing and annoying. But that I expected. Heres what i didn't expect.

New Ford 150 is UGLY...but it drives nice, and I can't afford it.
New Chevy Colorado is kind of boring...didn't drive it as the only one on the lot was sold.
Dodge ram is too big...no dakota's on the lot, but any day now accrding the the dealer.

Tomorrow I will look at where I am leaning Toyota.I think ford and chevy are out, mostly because i do not have good ford and chevy dealers in my area...I will go north this weekend to look at GMC and maybe nissan.

Tyler Howell
04-26-2004, 7:36 PM
[QUOTE=Rob Russell]I bought a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab last year. Sizewise, it's basically the same length as the Ford/GM Extended cab pickup. The biggest advantages of the Dodge are 1) rear doors that swing like normal doors make it much easier at the store to put something in the back seat and 2) the optional flat load bed in the rear seat.

Glad to see a happy customer. I had a 1500 360 CI, Quad cab before the Toy. Pass everything but a gas station. Beautiful color, Huuuge truck I needed line handlers and tugs to dock that bad boy. Butttttt! Left me on the road six times. I spent more time in the shop than ALL my other vehicles combined. Cost me $1K in Lawyers fees to get the company to buy it back. It was worth it. Thank God for Lemon Laws. :mad:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2004, 8:26 PM
Tim, you'll find that everybody has their favorite. I ordered a full sized Chevy Blazer in Dec. 1982. My wife hated it. I was......key word ......WAS, past tense,a Chevy fan but after 5 transmissions in 41,000 miles and 4 years. The unreliability of the car coupled with a total lack of concern for customer satisfaction or safety on the part of GM I was and am no longer a Chevy fan. Did I mention that we lost the brakes on it twice with 5 people inside going down a 6 mile 7% grade? We got rid of it. We bought a used Toyota 4-Runner with a 2.2L 4 cylinder engine to replace the Blazer. It had 19,000 miles on it when we got it. We drove it 16 years.....it had 167,000 miles on it when we replaced it. I bought it while my wife was on vacation with her parents visiting our newest granddaughter. When we got rid of it......the granddaughter had never seen grandma drive anything else. Even with the little 2.2L 4 cyl engine I pulled a 3/4 ton GMC truck and 4 horse trailer down out of the deep snow while elk hunting. It's a matter of traction in deep snow not necessarily horse power. We loved that 4-Runner .....replaced a timing chain.....a couple of brake jobs.......a water pump......not bad for 16 years of service! We replaced it with a new Honda Accord.......no kids at home anymore........I did buy a 1990 F-350 460 V-8, 5 Speed man., 4:10 rear end, 4x4 to tow a 5th wheel trailer. It was 6 years old when we got it and had 122,000 miles on it at purchase. I have driven it about 10,000 miles since its purchase. Brake job....power steering pump.....new clutch.....but really it's not been too bad. It performs what I want. It hauls our 8342 lb 5th wheel to the mountains and back. It get 11 mpg.....loaded, unloaded, uphill, downhill, into or with the wind. In short.....you probably couldn't go wrong with a Toyota for reliability. If you are lucky you could get a good used vehicle....Good Luck!
:confused:

Tim Morton
04-26-2004, 9:45 PM
Thanks for that Ken...I think i am going to seriously limit my choice to 3

Dodge Dakota club cab, Toyota Tacoma or (fingers crossed) a sweet deal on a barely used Tundra.

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-27-2004, 3:11 PM
Tim
This decision is not a one week deal.
You can not decide that quickly on what truck to buy.
This has to be a calm and calculated decision - it should take at least 6 months to a year.
The last truck decision that I made took me two years to make.
But Ok! You've decided - go ahead and buy the truck YOU like. You'll have to live with it.
You didn't even wait to hear my story. Gaalll Lee!

So a short synopsis:
1953 Ford Victoria - installed Pontiac engine
1961 Ford Falcon
1965 Pontiac GTO (the old hot rodder)
1967 Pontiac Firebird
1971 Pontiac Catalina
1977 International Harvester Scout - wife's car
1981 Ford 3/4 ton Van - my car
1986 GMC Safari Van - my car
1987 GMC Jimmy diesel - wife's car
1997 Ford Expedition - wife's car
2002 Ford Explorer - my car

There are stories to go with each car, of course.
But one last thought
Bought the 97 and 02 Fords used - decided that new ones were too much money. But then again my nephew is a car salesman and I just called him and said that I thought that I need a newer car. He found one in four days both times. I had to drive 100 miles to get them - bought them sight unseen. As long as they had 4 wheels and an engine - what the heck else do you need to move your body and "stuff" around. 45 cup holders and a state of the art radio (receiver)? TV for the kids to watch - you got glass windows in that car - don't yah. A little cynical, ain't I. $29,000 for a car - bah humbug!
Best of luck with you new car (vehicle)
Daniel :D

Jim Becker
04-27-2004, 4:09 PM
Too bad you still don't have that GTO and Firebird, Daniel! (Assuming you don't...)

Tim Morton
04-27-2004, 8:13 PM
Tacoma is too small....Tundra is too expensive...so its down to a Dakota 4 door, or a slightly used Tundra.

Tony Falotico
04-27-2004, 9:43 PM
a slightly used Tundra.

Tim, IMHO, slightly used is the only way to go. Let someone else 'take the bite', so to speak. I don't know what the situation is in Vermont, but here in north Florida there are as many "almost new" trucks to choose from as there are new ones. You can get an even better deal if you buy from an individual rather than a dealer ( a dealer has to cover overhead and make a profit, an individual just has to get rid of the vehicle). But remember, sometimes you have to look at a lot of junk before you find 'the one'. Take your time, be patient, and don't settle for less than what you want. Believe me, the deal is out there, just take your time finding it. You'll know when you do.

Also, gas prices are going up, folks who bought brand new big trucks and have to commute any distance to work are going be looking to get rid of them. If the market floods, prices will drop.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Tim Morton
04-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Its a little tougher finding used deals here in vermont, But i am looking. The Dodge Dakota is offering $3500 off sticker, whihch is a good deal. And I am hoping someone bought a Tundra last year and now is looking to sell it to get the 4 door version.

Jim Becker
04-28-2004, 8:22 AM
Tim, I have a 2000 Tundra and it's been a trooper, so look more at mileage rather than year...they've been a good truck since the beginning, unlike their T100 predicessor. You may find someone (like myself) who doesn't put a lot of miles on (36K in 42 months) but (unlike myself) is looking to move up to a new model for the four doors or some other cosmetic reason. $3500 off on a new Dakota is a good deal, however...

Hal Flynt
04-28-2004, 10:50 AM
My 2 cents.

Replaced a Supercharged Bonneville with a Hemi Ram 1500 Quad Cab, short bed.

The things I like:
A-Rear seats are comfortable for 6 footers.
B- 8 foot sheets of plywood lay flat with the tail gate down.
C- 16 foot pieces of molding ride nicely through the sliding rear window.
D- I have the optional flat metal fold out floor pan in the rear cab which just may be my favorite option. I put some of that sticky rubber skid pad stuff down an nothing slides and everything stays dry.
E- Power is not an issue.
F- Ride is better than my Bonneville and handling is very much car like.

Chris Padilla
04-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Hal, what kinda mpg you getting?

Bill Karow
04-28-2004, 11:32 AM
I just picked up a 2004 Silverado crew cab with the 6' bed, and the Duramax diesel engine/Allison transmission package. Sold my third Ford Ranger in the process - I loved the Ranger with its 4.0 liter V6, but it was 2WD (bought it in Florida) and up heah in Maine, 4WD is pretty much required.

The Silverado is a bit more of a handful to park, but even though it outweighs the Ranger by over 2000 pounds, it actually gets better mileage! Gotta love the diesels...

I kept hoping somebody will come out with a 4 cylinder small diesel engine for the Ranger, but Ford's mid-sized diesel engine project got killed due to cost overruns. I don't *need* 15,000 pounds of towing capacity, I just wanted an extended or crew cab truck with a good diesel engine. The new Powerstroke reportedly has some fuel delivery issues, and I won't deal with Dodge any more (great Cummins engine, lousy transmissions, and horrific dealer service), so I went with the Duramax package. The specs this year are up to 320hp, 590 ft-lb of torque. It's the first time in a few years I've looked for excuses to go driving! Plenty of room in the cab for family and toys I want out of the weather, and the bed's plenty long to tote plywood sheets resting on top of the tailgate. I do enjoy 8' truck beds, but with the crew cab I'd need another driver on the back steering that end (remember the Seinfeld episode where Kramer drives the back of the fire truck? :) )

Hal Flynt
04-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Mileage

On the highway 75-80 about 15-16 (7500 miles on it now)
In town 10-12 depending on how much time at 45 mph or higher.

Best mileage is between 45-65, problem is that I don't spend much time there.
If I hold the RPMs to 2000 max, I can get 17-18.

Larry Ball
04-29-2004, 3:51 PM
:cool: Tim,
I also have a a 2004 Chevrolet 2500 H>D,4/wd,Dura-Max with the Allison automatic. I have nearly 50,000 miles on it, good fuel mileage both highway and city. has plenty of power and all the creature comforts. This is the first diesel I have owned. The engine is unbelievably quiet. I am sold on this vechicle and must say it's the best I have owned. Do yourself a favor and take a test drive--- I think that will answer your questions :cool:

Dan Mages
05-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Does it HAVE to be a pickup?? If not, you can also look at a PT Cruiser. I have one and I haul 8 ft 2x4s all the time in it with the front and rear right seat folded down. I average around 22 mpg on it. It is an awesome car to have and is unbeiveably versitile. They can be had for 20k with a good load of features.

Dan

Jim Becker
05-02-2004, 10:21 AM
PT Cruiser...I average around 22 mpg on it.
You're very lucky. LOML had one for a year...mostly got below 20 MPG and had to turn off the A/C on steep hills. Wonderful vehicle, otherwise. Lots of room and a very versatile interior. Comfortable ride...which it should have being 3000 lbs! But we ended up trading it in on a Prius...

Of course, the new Turbo version of the 'Cruiser wasn't avaiable then!

Dan Mages
05-02-2004, 10:42 AM
You're very lucky. LOML had one for a year...mostly got below 20 MPG and had to turn off the A/C on steep hills. Wonderful vehicle, otherwise. Lots of room and a very versatile interior. Comfortable ride...which it should have being 3000 lbs! But we ended up trading it in on a Prius...

Of course, the new Turbo version of the 'Cruiser wasn't avaiable then!

Its not as much luck as it is proper modification. With a free flowing Borla exhaust and a custom cold air intake, I have no problems with performance or gas miliage.

Dan

Jim Becker
05-02-2004, 11:02 AM
With a free flowing Borla exhaust and a custom cold air intake, I have no problems with performance or gas miliage.
We only did a basic K&N filter...helped a little, but not as good as on my Tundra.

Dan Mages
05-02-2004, 3:09 PM
We only did a basic K&N filter...helped a little, but not as good as on my Tundra.

Well... there's aways the Decoma PT Cruiser truck. It has a Viper V10 under the hood!! :eek: How is that for arse hauling power?

Tim Morton
05-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Well after taking into consideration all the folks here who love the their Tundra's, I just got back from buying one. Its an 04 Tundra access cab and will be delivered to me on monday. Thanks for all the help and opinions!! :D :D :D

Jim Becker
05-15-2004, 1:27 PM
Congratulations, Tim. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine. And don't forget the pictures...hee hee

John Miliunas
05-15-2004, 9:33 PM
Well, HOT DOG! :D Now THAT'S on might, fine gloat, me thinks! Congrats and enjoy. From all the raving my buddy does about his, you can do nothing but enjoy it! :cool:

Tim Morton
05-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks..nothing like owning a Saab that keeps breaking down to motivate you into buying new vs used. I had no intentions of getting new Tundra, but the Saleswoman, besides being a total "hottie" was a personal friend of both my brothers and basicallly gave me a price and a "sell" that I could not refuse. It was as all car purchases should be...in a word "FUN".

Stefan Antwarg
05-16-2004, 9:56 AM
So, how did you do with your 19K limit?

STefan

Tim Morton
05-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Sticker was 29 and I showed 11 on my trade....So all in all I am financing 18 at 2.9%. That's if I buy the truck, I have a lease deal on the table as well that I am mulling over on the same truck...nice to buy a truck on Saturday with no F&I people around so i get the weekend to decide. if I do the lease option(which i am very seriously considering)...I still show 11k on the trade and throw half on the lease and get half back in cash.

Tim Morton
05-16-2004, 4:10 PM
These are a couple pics of the truck sitting on the lot waiting to be delivered.Not sure how to make them bigger...well i do know how to make them bigger...just not sure the max size for this forum. :cool:

Jim Becker
05-16-2004, 4:50 PM
Very nice color choice...doesn't show the dirt and stays relatively cool in the sun. Best wishes with your new truck! (BTW, Performance Products carries a bunch of nice Tundra enhancements; one that you should go with is the K&N air filter for a little boost in mileage and performance over the factory filter. The $40 cost has a nice payback in fuel savings over time.)

Tim Morton
05-16-2004, 4:58 PM
I was thinking the same thing, both on the color and on the air filter. I have a long dirt driveway, and where I work has a dirt parking lot...plus one mile of my comute is a dirt road...so the black saab I had ALWAYS looked dirty. And getting away from the paper air filter is always a nice first upgrade. Thanks Jim...can hardly wait for tomorrow!! :D :D :D

John Miliunas
05-16-2004, 9:05 PM
Sweet lookin' truck, Tim! Bet you're a'grinning from coast to coast! :D :cool:

Tim Morton
05-17-2004, 9:18 PM
I'm "grinnin" now :D :D :D ...picked it up this afternoon...what an awesome truck...and buying it from Aldermans here in vermont was the BEST car buying esperience I have ever had...and the stress of making the payment every month will NEVER be as bad as the stress of driving a SAAB!!...just need to hit ebay for some of them mud flaps wit the girls on them, and a gun rack and i'll be all set!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Tim, NICE LOOKING TRUCK! :D As I said in my earlier reply....you can't beat Toyota for endurance and reliability! While we replaced our 4-Runner (16 years of use) with a Honda Accord LX V-6, it was because of politics with the local dealer. The reputation of the local Toyota dealer has declined dramatically from when I bought the 4-Runner years ago! SWMBO said we are not buying from XXXXXXX Toyota! As the other Toyota dealers are 30-120 miles away, we bought from a local Honda dealer. You will like your Toyota, I'm sure! Good Luck! :D

Kent Cori
05-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Tim,

A couple of years ago I was in the same situation as you face now. I too found that pretty much all the major manufacturers put out quality products. All have their champions and their detractors. Therefore, some of the differentiators for me were:

1. Budget and rebate offered? (a new truck with a $3500 rebate cost me less than a two year old used truck.)
2. Do you need to haul a trailer? (I did)
3. Full or compact size? (Largely depends on what you're going to haul in back, whether or not you need to tow a trailer and how large, and how much passenger room you want.)
4. Regular, extended or crew cab?
5 2WD or 4 WD (Not many mountains and not too much snow in Florida so 2 WD did me just fine since I don't off road very much.)
6. Seating comfort (the Tundra is too small for my longer legs and the back seat comfort on some extended cab models was awful.)
7. Reliability - Check the web sites but realize none of these manufacturer's products will satisfy everyone who purchased one.
8. Which one SWMBO likes! :D

When all was said and done, I bought a GMC Sierra and really like it. If I was buying today, I'd add a Nissan Titan to my short list as well.

Hal Peeler
05-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Congtrats Tim on the Tundra. I've had mine about 6 months with no complaints other than rear seat room for the ever growing kids. BTW, I don't know if this is legal or not (sorry if it is) but check out tundrasolutions.com for some good discussion and great tips. It's the first discussion board I've ever paid to belong to and the tips and mods I've used so far have been worth the price.
Hal

Tim Morton
05-18-2004, 6:28 PM
I have been to that site and posted a few times...it is nice, and I plan on joining. The rear seat room is a little less than you might expect, but its fine for my girls ages 15 and 13. O meran how much time to girls that age want to drive around with there Dad? But we all went out for chinese last night and they were inthe car for over an hour and I never heard anyone say it was that bad.

Chris Padilla
05-18-2004, 6:41 PM
I just put 300 miles round trip on my little 2wd, 4-banger, 1990 Toyota Pick'em-Up truck to pick'em-Up my MiniMax Bandsaw! :) 108k and still going strong...I love this truck...people are asking me all the time to sell it. I should ask them how much they'll pay me...it could never be enough! :D

Mark Angle
05-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Last time we added it up, 16 Toyotas in the family, need I say more...
Mark

P.S. I only have 3. (oldest is 20 years old and running strong, only 110,000 miles but almost every one of those at 4 miles a trip.)

John Miliunas
05-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Last time we added it up, 16 Toyotas in the family, need I say more...
Mark

P.S. I only have 3. (oldest is 20 years old and running strong, only 110,000 miles but almost every one of those at 4 miles a trip.)

"Holy overhead valves, Batman! That's a LOT of Tojo's!" :eek: So, tell us how you *really* feel about Toyota's! :D :cool:

Rob Russell
05-26-2004, 6:33 AM
Keep a few hundred dollars left over for a spray-in bedliner. It's what I've got in my truck and I'm glad I have it. Can't pop out of the back on the highway, either.

Tim Morton
05-26-2004, 7:10 PM
Funny you should mention spray-on bed liners. I am trying to buy a tonneau cover for it and am finding it hard to get one that will not make me cut into my factory liner. I ordered one from a comapny online called MissGrizz.com, only I found out too late about having to cut into it, and I am trying to get them to allow me to refuse shipment on it, but they want to charge me $65 dollars in restocking fee's to do that...if you ever have a chance to buy from them DON"T A totally f'ed up company...but I live and learn.