PDA

View Full Version : TEFC motor ?

Jack Clay
07-22-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a chance to get a Farm Duty Baldor motor for my table saw at a good price. The problem is that it is not a TEFC motor. Has anybody run one of these motors? I would appreciate any input.

Charlie Plesums
07-22-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't know that motor, or where the motor lives on your saw, but I had an open motor on a contractor saw, without problem, for years. Just blew it out with an air gun a couple times per year.

Jack Clay
07-22-2008, 10:41 PM
This motor will be for my Unisaw.

glenn bradley
07-22-2008, 10:47 PM
You could email Baldor but, the fan will be in the cabinet with dust, self-ventilating. Maybe this is not a problem but then, why make TEFC? I'd ask Baldor.

Larry Browning
07-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Jack,
I work for Baldor, most of those farm duty motors are made right here in Fort Smith, AR. If you will send me the spec number from the nameplate, I will ask the engineers if it will work with your application.

Jack Clay
07-22-2008, 11:14 PM
I can not tell you how much I appreciate the help.

Baldor 5HP
UCL570
SEP# 36f550-3027
Order # f0307-4901
Frame # 182t

Tom Veatch
07-23-2008, 12:08 AM
This motor will be for my Unisaw.

The response from Larry's contact with the Baldor engineers will be your best answer, assuming they are fully aware of the environment inside a cabinet saw. The motor will see a much harsher environment enclosed in a cabinet saw than it would see on a contractor style saw.

I personally would not advise using an open case motor in that application - certainly not without a good, efficient dust collection system to keep the motor compartment swept clean.

Mike Henderson
07-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I had an open frame motor on a contractor's saw and had problems with dust fouling the centrifugal switch - to the point that the saw would not start. But if I then blew it out with compressed air, it would work okay for a while, until the switch got fouled again. I could run for weeks (maybe longer - don't remember well) between having to blow it out.

I finally put in a TEFC and have had no problems.

If you get it cheap and don't mind blowing it out now and again, it'll work fine. Of course, if it's three phase you won't have the centrifugal switch problem.

Mike

Rollie Meyers
07-23-2008, 1:32 AM
A unisaw has a proprietary motor mount meaning a "normal" motor will not fit.

Larry Browning
07-23-2008, 9:40 AM
Jack,
I spoke with probably the best most experienced engineer we have here at Baldor. He looked up the motor and said it was absolutely not suitable for your application.
1) This motor is designed to operate a large fan on a crop dryer which provides much of the cooling for the motor, so it could overheat very easily inside an enclosed cabinet such as the unisaw.
2) If it doesn't overheat then the dust will probably foul the starting switch.
3) It is also designed to run contentiously, not starting and stopping several times an hour like a table saw does.
4) In his opinion the motor is "too much motor" for a 10" table saw. His comment was "Who is this guy? Tim Taylor?"

So bottom line, pass on this one.

Sorry:(

Matt Meiser
07-23-2008, 9:45 AM
IIRC, and I can't look it up because they really messed up their web site, Renovo Parts (http://www.renovoparts.com/)makes a bracket to mount a 56-frame motor in a Uni.

Larry Browning
07-23-2008, 10:00 AM
IIRC, and I can't look it up because they really messed up their web site, Renovo Parts (http://www.renovoparts.com/)makes a bracket to mount a 56-frame motor in a Uni.

Matt,
This is actually a 36 frame motor. I'm pretty sure it is not going to work for Jack.

Jack Clay
07-23-2008, 6:36 PM
Larry,
Thank you for taking the time to ask about this motor. You never know until you ask. I don’t think I will need a 5 hp motor but for a good price I did not what to pass it up. I will keep looking.

Walt Caza
07-23-2008, 8:23 PM
Wow Larry,
That was just great, you really took care of that request for information!
Nice sharing...
be well,
Walt

ps good to have you on the team!
:)

Larry Browning
07-23-2008, 9:17 PM
Wow Larry,
That was just great, you really took care of that request for information!
Nice sharing...
be well,
Walt

ps good to have you on the team!
:)

Thanks Walt.
I really think everyone at Baldor is really proud to work here. We all seem to have the attitude of providing good customer service. Even though I am a software developer and don't know all that much about motors, you do pick up a few things here and there after 20 years, and I have also learned who to ask these kinds of questions when I need to know.