PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany Armoire

Dave Tinley
07-22-2008, 8:25 PM
Here are some pics of a recently completed commisssion. It a mahogany armoire built to match some other pieces in the room.
It was built in two sections. The lower part with the 4 drawers, and then the upper part with pocket doors and tv slideout.
The top two drawers were made from the same board, when I saw that board I knew thats were it had to go, then it was a matter of selecting the rest of the boards for the drawer fronts. I really wanted them to flow together. The upper door center panels are bookmatched veneered panels. With the frames I used straight grain wood for the stiles and center rails. And tried to use curve grain pieces for the arched rails.

The finish is a 3 part mix of tung oil, poly and mineral spiits, applied 3 coats.
The first picture is in the shop ready for delivery. The next two are at the clients home, with the hardware installed. Thanks for looking and questions and comments are welcome.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/texasthunderww/jcarmoire-1.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/texasthunderww/jcarmoire-2.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/texasthunderww/jcarmoire-3.jpg

John Thompson
07-22-2008, 8:57 PM
Very nice execution and superb grain match, Dave..

Sarge...

gary Zimmel
07-22-2008, 9:01 PM
Beautifully done Dave. I agree with Sarge on the grain match..

Your client should be very happy.

Jim Becker
07-22-2008, 9:02 PM
I really love the panels in those doors. Nice!

Dewey Torres
07-23-2008, 1:20 AM
Man if that isn't the cats meow. Nice work.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-23-2008, 1:38 AM
Very nicely done Dave!

Greg Cole
07-23-2008, 9:17 AM
Hi Dave,
Very nice. I love the book matched mahogony!
Looks just one I saw yesterday on another forum, matter of fact I liked the one I saw there so much I borrowed a copy of the pic!
I've had something very similar on my "list" for awhile and am currently looking for the mahogony crotch for the door panels.

Cheers.
Greg

Brent Ring
07-23-2008, 9:28 AM
Very Nice work - the drawer fronts and doors are beautiful!

Douglas Brummett
07-23-2008, 9:47 AM
Nice. The grain really pops on this. The book matched look on the upper drawers is a nice touch.

Lee Schierer
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Excellent work, it looks really great. Nice job on the panels, it shows superb craftsmanship when you go to the trouble to select the grain for the various parts instead of just putting wood together.

Jerry Olexa
07-23-2008, 5:10 PM
Very nice work...Good job of matching/selecting grain and Finishing...Looks good!!!

Tim Plantz
07-23-2008, 5:21 PM
Dave, if its not too personal a question, could you give me a rough ballpark as to what you would charge for a piece like this?? I am just starting out and doing a little custom work on the side and pricing my work is really becoming a problem?? Any pricing rules of thumb you can pass on to this newbie?:confused:
Thanks in advance! Tim

Jason Tuinstra
08-07-2008, 1:40 AM
Really nice use of figure on the panels and the drawers. Good eye.

Don Eddard
08-07-2008, 5:01 AM
Nice job all the way around. Your client should be very pleased. It looks like it's getting a blessing in the second pic.

Charlie Kocourek
08-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Nice job! I especially like the panels in the doors.

Charlie

Bill Wyko
08-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Very beautiful Dave. That really came out nice. I bet you have a hard time watching the tv.;)