PDA

View Full Version : billing question with a twist

David Fairfield
07-22-2008, 7:12 PM
Hi

Have an order to do some simple vector cutting cardboard shapes. Customer has supplied the material and graphics, I already did a test shot (no problems) and the while thing is ready to go to production.

The twist is this customer is a friend of mine. Ordinarily I'd do it for free as a favor, but it looks like he's going to be repeat ordering, and its for his commercial purposes. I'd like to discount, and I'd also like to do more jobs like this for him, because its very straightforward.

So what do you figure to charge for machine time for a simple cutting job, for a buddy?

Thanks for your input!:)
Dave

Joe Pelonio
07-22-2008, 8:03 PM
I get these too, I think we all do. If it's for a friend or relative's personal use, it's free or they pay for materials only. I never did something they will make money on, but would probably go with materials plus 1/2 the usual rate for time.

Mike Null
07-22-2008, 9:22 PM
I'd probably discuss it with him. If he's a friend he'll not expect you to work for free.

Doug Griffith
07-22-2008, 9:43 PM
With me, a lot depends on whether doing "free" work for a friend takes time away from money making jobs. If so, I do it when I can get to it. If it is a lot of work, I weigh out if they are a "reciprocating" friend or a "using" friend. If the later, I expect some reimbursement to at least cover wear and tear on my equipment.

I also weigh how financially secure they are. If they are a good friend and struggling, I help them out no matter what. If they live large, I charge accordingly and they understand.

If it is a product to be sold, I tell them that if it takes off, I expect compensation.

Good luck

Bill Cunningham
07-22-2008, 10:02 PM
What is 'his' business, and what can he do for you...
Owner of a beer store is a big plus here!!:D

Mike Null
07-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Brilliant idea, Bill!

Scott Shepherd
07-23-2008, 8:17 AM
One I seem to get frequently is requests to do various things by a certain group of friends, all of them one off items. I use the same line every time- "Sure, we can do that, let me know when YOU want to come by and help me do it".

Funny, not once have I been taken up on that. It seems some people want you to do free stuff and deliver it as well.

Don't get me wrong, I do my share of free stuff, but for a certain group, that line stops them dead in their tracks.

Mark Winlund
07-23-2008, 9:45 AM
One I seem to get frequently is requests to do various things by a certain group of friends, all of them one off items. I use the same line every time- "Sure, we can do that, let me know when YOU want to come by and help me do it".

Funny, not once have I been taken up on that. It seems some people want you to do free stuff and deliver it as well.

Don't get me wrong, I do my share of free stuff, but for a certain group, that line stops them dead in their tracks.

I use the same system. It stops 90% of the freebies. The other 10% I like as friends, and we spend some time shooting the bull. After a while, you can tell who the friends are. If the only time you see them seems to involve some free engraving, then they are not friends. Sad commentary on life. Some of these jokers will come by and want to use your equipment (with you "helping", of course) to do a large order of badges for their club or whatever. The money, if any, never seems to end up in my pocket!

Mark