PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

Heather Thompson
07-22-2008, 6:17 PM
I just received a phone call from a good friend, one of our dearest friends got hit on his bike (pedal), we are long distance cyclists in this household, Paul was rendered unconscious at the scene, died today. I will do a century to remember him tommorrow, Paul was probably thinking of the Tour de France, will always remember his spirit. I can bearly see the keyboard asI type this.

Heather

Mitchell Andrus
07-22-2008, 7:11 PM
Sorry about this news. I often wonder if I'll go while doing something I love. The fact that he did.... Small consolation I suppose....

Jim O'Dell
07-22-2008, 7:18 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss of a dear friend, Heather. May the shamrocks fall softly....Jim.

Bruce Page
07-22-2008, 7:49 PM
I'm sorry for the loss of your good friend.
Be strong, and be safe tomorrow as well.

Jim Becker
07-22-2008, 7:56 PM
Sorry for your loss, Heather. That's a darn shame. Stay safe "out there"...

Roger Ronas
07-22-2008, 8:06 PM
Always sad to hear of someone passing.
May your friend R.I.P. and you heal from this tragic event.

Roger

John Schreiber
07-22-2008, 8:11 PM
I'm sorry for your loss and the loss to all his friends. I was once a long distance cyclist myself and I understand the pleasures and the pains and the safety issues which you can do your best to influence, but which you can not control.

I hope for justice for the driver.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-22-2008, 8:24 PM
Heather,

My sincere condolences for the loss of your friend. You be safe tomorrow!

julie Graf
07-22-2008, 8:56 PM
that is sad news.
be careful tomorrow.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-22-2008, 9:01 PM
Be safe as you honor your friend tomorrow. You have a fitting tribute planned--my sympathy is extended to yourself and your cycling friends.

Rob Russell
07-22-2008, 9:13 PM
As a fellow cyclist, perhaps a Ghost Bike would be in order.

Mark Rios
07-22-2008, 9:27 PM
More condolences from a fellow long time, long distance rider out here in CA. A tip of the water bottle to you, your friends and his family.

Andrew Derhammer
07-22-2008, 10:23 PM
My condolences. May he rest in peace. Where i live we have top athletes that train here and it's a normal sight so we are much more careful and more attentive to cyclists than other places.

Joe Mioux
07-22-2008, 10:43 PM
My condolences, Heather.

There are no words that can make an unexpected loss easy or any more comforting.

your ride tomorrow will be good therapy for you. just be carefull and mindfull

all the best
joe

David DeCristoforo
07-22-2008, 10:58 PM
I hope that this does not sound "caviler" because that is absolutely not the intent. But your friend died doing something he loved. As unfortunate as it may be that he had to be taken, I would choose his "path" over just about any other. Especially over something like the way my mother in law went, dying of Parkinson's over a period of eight years. We all have to go, sooner or later. Better to be doing something we love when the time comes. Maybe a small consolation but, unfortunately we have no control over these things. Sorry for your loss....

Chris Kennedy
07-23-2008, 6:38 AM
Please accept my condolences. I think your tribute is fitting.

Chris

Jason Roehl
07-23-2008, 7:17 AM
Our condolences, thoughts and prayers are with you, Heather. Stay safe on your tribute ride.

Dennis Peacock
07-23-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of this bad new Heather. I will remember Paul, his family, and friends in my prayers.

Rod Sheridan
07-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Dear Heather, please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend Paul.

Regards, Rod.

Peter Stahl
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Sorry for your loss Heather. Never easy to lose a close friend. Good memories will last a life time though.

Phyllis Meyer
07-23-2008, 5:29 PM
Heather,

You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Joe Unni
07-23-2008, 5:34 PM
Thoughts & prayers Heather.

-joe

Heather Thompson
07-23-2008, 5:51 PM
I had a good ride today with his club, nice lunch also, found more info about his passing. It seems that Paul was told he had a heart condition, never looked into the care issue, stubborn man. If you can do a century in five hours you must be healthy, sounds good to me! Actually Paul was found on a bike path in Toledo Ohio, he had a broken neck, his family pulled the plug the next morning, Paul had a heart attack, went down and broke his neck. I am greatful that no human being needs to bear the loss of this rider!

Tears Again,

Heather

Matt Meiser
07-23-2008, 6:37 PM
Wow, this of course was all over the news in Toledo. The situation seemed very odd when I heard it and there has been very little in the Toledo Blade since about what happened.

Rob Russell
07-23-2008, 8:29 PM
Heather,

Since your friend died of natural causes, doing what he obviously loved, I'd say that is a blessing.

My godfather is under care in a home Florida for Alzheimers. He was a brilliant man, socially graced, who now doesn't even remember me (and I was his "pseudo-son", my godparents didn't children of their own).

I hope that I go as quickly as your friend did.

Rob

Heather Thompson
07-23-2008, 9:25 PM
Heather,

Since your friend died of natural causes, doing what he obviously loved, I'd say that is a blessing.

My godfather is under care in a home Florida for Alzheimers. He was a brilliant man, socially graced, who now doesn't even remember me (and I was his "pseudo-son", my godparents didn't children of their own).

I hope that I go as quickly as your friend did.

Rob

Rob,

I agree with you completely, hope I am as lucky as Paul, my grandmother passed after years in a nursing home (Alzheimers, she donated her body to science). Did a ride in 2004 with my husband, he has cerebral palsy, a man we were riding with had a heart attack while doing a climb up a long hill. That night the event sponsor stated at dinner that his son was greatful that his dad passed while in the saddle, hope I am blessed like this as well. Thank you to all for your kind words and thoughts, Paul will ride forever in a better place.

Heather

John Schreiber
07-24-2008, 11:12 AM
I hope for justice for the driver.
My apologies to the driver I was angry at - who didn't exist.

A guy who can do a five-hour century is in top condition. 20 mph for five hours is tough. My best ever was 5:20. Now I can't ride more than a mile without knee pain and I'm in terrible shape. If he can die of a heart attack, it sure makes me feel my morality.

curtis rosche
07-24-2008, 6:24 PM
i am sorry for your loss, our school lost a senior this year in a bike accident........ like what was said before, at least he died doing something he loved., also you said his family pulled the plug. at least there wasnt a long drawn out battle