PDA

View Full Version : Delta AP300

John Frigillana
07-22-2008, 4:42 PM
:rolleyes:I'm looking at purchasing a Delta AP300 Dust collector. I've read some of the post about the zipper on the bag having flaws. That is not to much concern .What about the power and ability to collect dust and debris(chips).What about the noise decibels? I'm getting it at a good price-under $150.;)

Andy Hoyt
07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Keoni - I've moved your thread to the GWW forum so that it would hopefully generate a larger response for you.

Prashun Patel
07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
IMHO, a better purchase would be the portable from Harbor Freight ($90). Bigger motor. The bag's 35u, but the AP's is only 30u, which is effectively as 'useless' at catching the finest debris.

I've been using a Delta 50-760 for about a year now and LOVE it (I upgraded from a portable unit like the AP300.) At $300, it's not cheap compared to the AP300, BUT, it comes with a 1micron bag, way more capacity and is all-in-all a much better bang for the buck than the mini portables.

That being said, you can always use the blower from the mini unit on dedicated tools OR repurpose it into a shop ambient air filter.

Mort Stevens
07-23-2008, 1:12 PM
I have four of the Delta 50-280 (the predecessor to the AP300) in my basement shop, one on the table saw, bandsaw, planer & jointer and wouldn't have it any other way. First you don't have to mess around with running ductwork or figuring out how to get a duct to the equipment without it being a tripping hazard on the floor and secondly you have the full CFM going to one machine without any branches or gates to get in the way and having a bag at each machine means it takes quite a long time to fill. I have the original bags (whatever size weave they came with) and they work just fine and collect everything these machines put out. Now, I have seen a lot of recommendations that you *must have* 1 mircon bags, but in my shop there is no dust buildup on any flat surface from running these portable units - plus the waste from these machines tends to be mostly larger saw dust/chips and not ultra fine dust like from a sander. I'll admit that I do have an ambient air cleaner (Delta 50-875) but I run that only when I'm sanding and not in conjunction with the portable dust collectors.

John Frigillana
07-23-2008, 1:25 PM
:rolleyes:Mort,
Sounds like a positive comment. I'll be using it mainly for dust and chip collecting for my lathe. Placed just behind the object turning or sanding. I know I won't be able to catch chips from the front when shaping but that would be about 25% of debris. Thats good and also the sanding dust will be keep to a minimun compared to not having anything but a box fan to blow it (I expected the fan to blow it out of my garage but discovered that it was going all over. Had to wash down my automatic G. D.-it was covered with wood dust on the outside).:)

Prashun Patel
07-23-2008, 2:29 PM
I wasn't trying to be negative. I had a portable and it worked pretty well for a good while. The portables from HF get about as decent marks as the AP300 and are under $100. I meant, that if you ever decide in the future (as I did) to buy a larger DC, then I don't believe yr purchase of a portable today will have been a waste; there are plenty of uses for the motor...