PDA

View Full Version : Belt or Orbital

Hamish Jones
07-22-2008, 3:33 PM
I would like opinions please, on which type of sander I should purchase for general use, in my workshop. Belt or Orbital

Prashun Patel
07-22-2008, 3:51 PM
orbital.
It's way more versatile.

Ron Ainge
07-22-2008, 4:23 PM
If you have a lot of wood to remove fast get the belt sander, but if you want fininsh sanding get the orbital sander..

robert hainstock
07-22-2008, 7:13 PM
Always.:)
Bob

Gary Max
07-22-2008, 8:46 PM
Buy one of each---you will be ready:cool:

glenn bradley
07-22-2008, 9:05 PM
Orbital. A belt is noce now and then but a ROS is a must.

Jim Becker
07-22-2008, 9:17 PM
Belt sanders get a lot less use these days, in my observation. A good ROS is the best place to start.

Matt Ocel
07-22-2008, 9:31 PM
ROS.

It by far is more versitile and I use it 10 to 1 over my belt sander.

BUT! No way could I ever live without it, especially doing cabinet and counter top installs.

Lon Schleining
07-22-2008, 11:17 PM
I rarely use a random orbital even though I own several of them. I could not, however, get through a day of woodworking without my belt sander.

Mike Henderson
07-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Welcome, Lon. I've read some of your books and really appreciate the effort you put into producing them. It's a lot of work!

Mike

Lon Schleining
07-23-2008, 7:46 PM
Thanks, Mike. Writing sure beats working if you ask me... but come to think of it, it's hard to beat doing woodworking for a living too. Thank Goodness for my big old belt sander!:D
If anyone's interested, I tune my belt sander the same way I tune a hand plane. That and a bit of practice makes all the difference.

Trouble with a R/O sander in my opinion, it's sanding across the grain two thirds of the time.

Try hand-sanding that nice table top you've been working on all winter across the grain two swipes for every one swipe you make with the grain. I'll wager just thinking about it makes you crazy.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-23-2008, 8:24 PM
They do different things well. You need both.

( well "need" is such a strong word. For years the masters made furniture and they didn't have abrasives or electricity. )

Peter Quinn
07-23-2008, 8:27 PM
I have both, they both do different jobs. General use is a pretty general description of your work. I generally like to have both, as well as a straight line sander and a drum sander.

Its a bit like asking which pliers should I get? Next question, are you a plumber? Electrician? Sheet metal fabricator? All use pliers of different types that are not strictly speaking interchangeable. Same with sanders. In a pinch you may sub one for the other or make due, or even prefer a use out side the norm.

Tough to buff out a finish with lambs wool on a belt sander, tough to level a top or scribe a counter with an ROS.

Chris Kennedy
07-23-2008, 8:31 PM
They do different things well. You need both.

You will want both in due time. I don't think I am alone in this. I got my ROS first, and it did good service, but you come to realize that there are times when you want something more aggressive. So, get the ROS and start researching belt sanders (and start saving up since they are more expensive).

Cheers,

Chris

Chuck Tringo
07-23-2008, 11:46 PM
There are some mid to high end ROS that have 2 speeds or more accurately, orbit sizes (many of the 6 inchers), one for finishing and a faster speed to hog off more material. Though not as powerful or fast as a belt sander, it can be a happy medium if you have to choose one.

Chris Kennedy
07-24-2008, 6:39 AM
Another thought . . .

Depending on the size of work you do, the blue borg is selling the small, handheld PC belt sander for $99. If your budget can handle it, you can get a decent ROS and a small belt for under $200.

Chris