PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Oxalic Acid?

Rob Luter
07-22-2008, 1:22 PM
Greetings to all,

I found a sweet old oak Gerstner tool box at an estate sale. It had been in a barn for years and needs to be refinished. The top is covered with black stains caused by iron and moisture reacting with the tannins in the oak. I'm told that Oxalic Acid will take the stains out. Anyone have an idea where I might find this stuff?

Thanks in advance,

- Rob

Andrew Long
07-22-2008, 1:32 PM
You can buy it as "Wood Bleach" through most hardware or paint stores, or online shops servicing the refinishing market. I believe my local Ace and Lowes stores carry it, so you should be able to source it locally.

Prashun Patel
07-22-2008, 2:16 PM
Look in the deck cleaning section of yr local BORG or ACE

Wayne Cannon
07-23-2008, 2:22 PM
Many deck cleaners (or "brighteners") use oxalic acid, but the local Ace Hardware has straight oxalic acid as well.

Rob Luter
07-23-2008, 3:33 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll give Ace hardware a try.

- Rob

Rob Luter
07-29-2008, 1:54 PM
As it turns out, Ace was the place. They had what I needed and it worked great. Thanks to all for the tips.

- Rob

Andrew Long
07-29-2008, 3:51 PM
A mild (2-3 oz per gallon) Oxalic solution is also great for removing rust from metal or painted metal surfaces. I collect old tin cans and use it to clean them, but have used solutions of Oxalic to clean antiques like cast iron door stops, shoe molds, and lanterns.

Lots of good uses for it... just use good common sense working with it... rubber gloves, some safety glasses, and good ventillation.