PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster shipping

Patrick Lee Hiatt
03-10-2003, 5:53 PM
I want to purchase a woodmaster drum sander so I had the shipping charges quoted to me, $440 to North Carolina. Wow, thats a lot for shipping. Is there any way any of you know of to arange for shipping yourself to save any? Do the rest of the big tool makers have a special arangement for shipping like grizzly?
There shipping rates are much less.

Bruce Walton
03-11-2003, 2:06 PM
I just ordered their 18" planer. I've been on their mailing list for a year or two. They have specials every so often where they give away the shipping. The catch; there is always a catch. You have to go pick the machine up at some dock somewhere. The last month they've offered this twice. Once would have me go to Jackson Michigan. Don't think that is happening from Indy. However, the next offer was near Indy at Marc Adams School of Woodworking. That one was more than doable to save the money. Even at that they aren't charging tax. If you're patient, they may offer something that would be doable for you.

The sander prices in this last brochure are:

26" 2,199

38" 2,795

38" 4,595 this is a dual drum one.

50" 3,995 single drum

All have the mobile base and reversing kit at the listed prices.

Bobby Hatfield
03-11-2003, 2:07 PM
Patrick, which drum sander ? I hope to order a 50" soon or I may call and drive up and pick mine up at the factory if they will allow this. I would really like to tour the plant, never been in an underground plant. The shipping price sounds a little high, should not be much more than $250 I don't think.

Ed Cafarella
03-11-2003, 4:28 PM
When I was looking into a drum sander, they quoted me a price of $750 to deliver it to my residence. I couldn't justify that and went with the performax 22/44 from Amazon ($40 for 3 day Fed-x).

Patrick Lee Hiatt
03-11-2003, 5:42 PM
I just wanted their 26" model. I think the special at Marc adams woodworking school is for the first of april, I think. Its only about 8hrs away by Map Quest. I guess its drive to get it or
Pay the shipping.
Why doesn't woodmaster have better prices on shipping? You would think that after being in business a while they would have
worked out a deal with trucking companys by now. I'm shure this is what Grizzly and other companies have done to offer affordable shipping.

Ernie Kuhn
03-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Patrick,
I bought their 5hp thickness planer quite a few years ago. It was delivered to Washington State, to my door step, by Yellow Freight and although I don't remember the shipping charges, it most certainly was not anywhere near "several hundred" dollars.
I don't know how they're shipping now but truck freight ought not be that expensive. If you haven't, you may want to call them for freight shipping information.

Bob Boake
03-12-2003, 12:52 AM
I've been in management and sales in LTL trucking for 15 years. Shipping charges are almost certainly not that high. the retailer is most likely hiding a markup in the cost of freight.

Rob Russell
03-12-2003, 8:10 AM
I'd pretty much decided on a wide drum sander unitl I thought about how I'll be using it. I've decided to go with one of the better quality open-end wide belt sanders (either the Bridgewood or Powermatic). The cost is between the two 38" Woodmaster models. I don't see myself doing much in the way of 3' face frames and can always take our kitchen cabinet face frames to a local shop and pay them the $50 for an hours worth of sanding. In the meantime, I'll have the convenience (and long-term cost savings) of reuseable wide belts, the power (7.5 HP) and speed of a wide belt, ability to sand 30" or 32" wide doors and the small footprint of the WB.

Just something to think about.

Rob