PDA

View Full Version : The Repair Worked!! -- Thanks to Todd and Everyone Else

Jack Hogoboom
04-25-2004, 3:47 PM
The repair job on my door went better than I could have hoped for. I pressed the blank I had cut with my holesaw back into the hole, pressing it as tight as I could to the side facing the end of the door (which I knew would remain after redrilling). Per Todd's and others' instructions, I wetted the whole area with water and applied a liberal amount of Gorilla glue. I then stuffed as many pieces of veneer scraps as I could into the voids between the blank and the door and filled any holes with more glue. I let the whole thing set for 2 hours plus, flush cut the mess with a Japanese flush-cutting saw, scraped the excess glue and sanded everything through 150 grit.

I was worried that I would blow out the blank when I redrilled the hole, especially since the center of the new hole was right in the middle of the blank. However, everything held together just fine.

I've tried to attach a couple of pictures. The first should show the whole glued up mess. The second shows the door after flush-cutting and sanding. The last picture (which is badly out of focus -- sorry) shows the lockset installed in the proper location. Once the door is painted, the repair will be invisible. :)

Thanks to everyone responded to my message. I never could have fixed the door without you!!!

Jack

Todd Burch
04-25-2004, 3:57 PM
You da man Jack! You da man!

Jack Hogoboom
04-25-2004, 3:59 PM
Todd,

I owe it all to you. The screw-ups I can do on my own, the fixes are something else again.

Thanks again for your help.

Jack

Dan Mages
04-25-2004, 4:35 PM
Just paint it up and you will never notice that mistake!

Dan

Wes Bischel
04-25-2004, 7:30 PM
What mistake?

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Jack
Lookin' Goooood!
Say this with a growl in your voice.
Something from "Chico and the man". An old TV show.
Daniel :D