PDA

View Full Version : Jigs with carriage bolts, what kind of collars, springs?

Stephen Tashiro
07-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I can think of several simple jigs that I would like to built that involve having a board with a carriage bolt through it. A spring between the head of the bolt and the board causes the board to press down on something. But I worry that the board would tend to catch on the threads of the carriage bolt. So what is a simple piece of hardware can be used for a collar over the threads where the board slides? And where in a hardware store can I look for compression springs besides those expensive custom hardware bins? I want a apring that would exert enough force to do what a typical "featherboard" hold down does.

Michael McCoy
07-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I can't help you with the spring but a simple bushing should cover your threads.

Stephen Tashiro
07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
A simple "bushing" would be the correct terminology, but terminology is not my main problem. My question is: If I am in Lowes or Home Depot, can I get some commonly available item to make a simple bushing? Or do I have to go to those cabinets of drawers where they keep specialized items like "allen head cap screws" and "M8 x 1.0 hex head bolts"?

Heather Thompson
07-22-2008, 1:12 PM
Stephen,

You could buy a piece of copper tubing and cut to the lenghts you need, I often walk around in hardware stores/homecenters just looking at what they have avalible, clerks come up to me to see if I need help and I just say that I am brainstorming. There are all kinds of things to make bushings from, steel, wood, UHMW, be creative, tools are meant for fabrication!

Heather

Stephen Tashiro
07-22-2008, 2:25 PM
I can be creative. But I wanted to begin by being resourceful (i.e. asking). I would think that all sorts of people have made jigs like this, so I was hoping the way to do it would be common knowledge.

Joe Scharle
07-22-2008, 3:07 PM
I used shrink wrap once. It worked OK. Didn't shrink it, left it natural. But I thought then that tubing would have been cheaper.
Forgot the 2nd part of your Q. I bought some springs last year from Small Parts. Found out later that Advance Auto had what I needed too.
Joe

Greg Hines, MD
07-22-2008, 3:30 PM
In that aisle of specialty hardware they usually have brass bushings of various sizes at any of the Borgs. That said, I usually use PVC pipe to make bushings for various jigs. The type for drain pipe is thicker and more rigid than the lighter weight pipe for carrying water.

Doc

Wayne Cannon
07-23-2008, 2:00 PM
My local Ace Hardware carries nylon and steel bushings in a wide variety of lengths, diameters, and thicknesses that I find useful for such things. They also have lipped bronze sleeve-bearings that make nice bushings if you need a lip, but they are significantly more expensive. I find the hardware store's selection is much broader than either our Home Depot or Lowes.