PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection: specific questions prior to purchase

John Dorough
07-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I am trying to plan for and buy a dust collector and ducting. I will try to keep this brief:

a) plan to buy Grizzly G0548 2 HP Canister Dust Collector (or something similar);

b) shop is 20'x23'; longest ducting run will be probably be <30'; using one machine at a time.

c) have ordered SawStop Contractor's Saw (4" D/C opening); all other tools (band saw; 6" jointer; 13" planer) have 4" openings.

d) thinking of 6" PVC primary duct from D/C; will mount along wall, @4' above the floor. [If metal ducting is not that much more expensive, and not as difficult to "cut & paste" for split-offs [laterals?] as I fear, I am open to 6" metal, as well. Metal 6" wyes, laterals, etc. seem to be hugely expensive.]

e) at most, I think I will need only three split-offs/laterals (either 45 degree or 30 degree?) from the 6" main duct.

Ques #1: Any difference if the split/lateral from 6" main is 4" all the way to the machine vs. 6" split/lateral from 6" main up to a 6" to 4" reducer at the machine?

Ques #2: Should blast gates be located as close as possible to (i) the machine or (ii) the 6" main?

Ques #3: Chris Padilla has mentioned mcmaster.com for supplies; I have looked but don't see PVC split-offs/laterals; where will I find such?

Ques #4: Using either 6" or 4", what is best ducting from 6" main to machine? (I am assuming flexible, wire-reinforced duct but don't know (i) how to determine whether it is strong enough to keep from collapsing under load; and, (ii) what to look for in terms of inside wall smoothness, etc.)

Ques #5: Regarding quick connectors, I like the looks of the FAZLOK system (from http://woodworker.com (http://woodworker.com/)) but it seems to be 4" maximum. Any recommendations for alternative quick connect systems that would work with 6" as well as 4" ducting?

I really did take the time to search SMC archives for information. I apologize in advance if the answers to these questions are found elsewhere; I just couldn't find the info.

Thanks to all for your courtesies.

John in Ocala, FL

Phil B
07-22-2008, 12:44 PM
1. run the main at 6”, when you need to take off for a short distance to a 4” machine port, use 4” pipe or pipe/hose.

2. Locate them where you can operate them most conveniently.

3. I got my 6” parts from Menards, check plumbing supply houses and such, there can be a wide variety in price on the 6” for the exact same thing.

4. Well, it probably just is strong enough I’ve used wire reinforced but currently prefer plastic, the stuff grizzly sells. So long as you are not using irrigation pipe it’s probably all about the same friction wise. Keep your hose lengths to a minimum.

5. I use 4” thin wall and couplings. Friction is usually enough to keep it together. My website shows a bit on how this is done with shop made blast gates

I think you are making it too complicated. I have a woodsucker 2hp unit on a 6” main with the longest run being about 70’ so I think your grizzly unit would do for your layout unless you accidentally cripple it in execution.

Since your tools are all ported to 4”, you will be fine using 4” hose to them unless it’s a long long hose.

If you mount your main 4’ off the floor then you are effectively placing it in the way of anything else you might want to do on that wall.

A sketch of your layout would be helpful for feedback.

Regards,
Phil

Wayne Cannon
07-23-2008, 2:41 PM
FWIW, I found the following to be the best information sources I foundl.

Air Handling Systems has several great documents & tutorials on their Web site at http://www.airhand.com/ In particular, see the "Designing a System" and "FAQ" links. Click the links at the top of "Designing a System" to get their "Design Guide" and "Installation Guide".

Another excellent source is "Woodshop Dust Control" by Sandor Nagyszalanczy (it's obvious that he worked closely with Air Handling Systems in putting his book together).

Chris Padilla
07-28-2008, 10:37 AM
I am trying to plan for and buy a dust collector and ducting. I will try to keep this brief:

a) plan to buy Grizzly G0548 2 HP Canister Dust Collector (or something similar);

b) shop is 20'x23'; longest ducting run will be probably be <30'; using one machine at a time.

c) have ordered SawStop Contractor's Saw (4" D/C opening); all other tools (band saw; 6" jointer; 13" planer) have 4" openings.

d) thinking of 6" PVC primary duct from D/C; will mount along wall, @4' above the floor. [If metal ducting is not that much more expensive, and not as difficult to "cut & paste" for split-offs [laterals?] as I fear, I am open to 6" metal, as well. Metal 6" wyes, laterals, etc. seem to be hugely expensive.]

e) at most, I think I will need only three split-offs/laterals (either 45 degree or 30 degree?) from the 6" main duct.

Ques #1: Any difference if the split/lateral from 6" main is 4" all the way to the machine vs. 6" split/lateral from 6" main up to a 6" to 4" reducer at the machine?

Personally, I'd take 6" as far as possible and either neck down at the last couple of feet OR modify ports on machines to 6".

Ques #2: Should blast gates be located as close as possible to (i) the machine or (ii) the 6" main?

Blast gates can go anywhere; place them in convenient easy-to-reach locations.

Ques #3: Chris Padilla has mentioned mcmaster.com for supplies; I have looked but don't see PVC split-offs/laterals; where will I find such?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "split-offs/laterals" but I got everything I needed from McMaster: 6" wyes (6x6x6) and 6" 45s (I put two 45s together to make a 90, much cheaper than a 90 or the long-radius 90)

Ques #4: Using either 6" or 4", what is best ducting from 6" main to machine? (I am assuming flexible, wire-reinforced duct but don't know (i) how to determine whether it is strong enough to keep from collapsing under load; and, (ii) what to look for in terms of inside wall smoothness, etc.)

I've used stuff from Oneida and Lee Valley. Lee Valley has these nice hose clamps designed for the wire-reinforced flexible hose. For PVC, there will need to be a little bit of metal duct involved as it'll help attach blast gates (I got mine from Lee Valley) and hoses since the outer diameter of PVC is bigger than the outer diameter of metal ducting.

Ques #5: Regarding quick connectors, I like the looks of the FAZLOK system (from http://woodworker.com (http://woodworker.com/)) but it seems to be 4" maximum. Any recommendations for alternative quick connect systems that would work with 6" as well as 4" ducting?

I like those, too, but I don't see it in 6" so instead I've used some quick-connects from Oneida. They are all metal.

jerry nazard
07-28-2008, 11:08 AM
John,

Ditto to just about all of the above advice. I would keep it at 6" right up to the machines. I have a 12' run of duct along one wall of my shop at 2' off the floor. It does get in the way and I will eventually move it to overhead. Just my 0.02.

-Jerry